Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-03-2006, 20:08   #91
I am Banned

Re: Broadway....dug up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
And NO....I don't like it.....but why would I be doing it myself......don't we pay people to do proper repairs any more?
Well you dont pay UU to. I can tell you that now.
tomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-03-2006, 20:09   #92
Resident Waffler

Of course it's United Utilities responsibility to restore the area to the way they found it. It is also perfectly possible to take up paving slabs without breaking them all. People used to do it in the past. If they came and dug up my property I would expect them to restore it to the condition in which they found it. I wouldn't expect to have to employ someone else to do that.

Good grief if they'd put the broken pieces back down as crazy paving it couldn't have looked any worse than it currently does. It's a total eyesore and considering that paving had only just been newly done I expect the council to follow up and make sure it is rectified. That's the trouble with workmen these days, no pride in the job and buck passing.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 20:14   #93
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Of course it's United Utilities responsibility to restore the area to the way they found it. It is also perfectly possible to take up paving slabs without breaking them all. People used to do it in the past. If they came and dug up my property I would expect them to restore it to the condition in which they found it. I wouldn't expect to have to employ someone else to do that.

Good grief if they'd put the broken pieces back down as crazy paving it couldn't have looked any worse than it currently does. It's a total eyesore and considering that paving had only just been newly done I expect the council to follow up and make sure it is rectified. That's the trouble with workmen these days, no pride in the job and buck passing.
Well thats your opinion. Even though incorrect. I will live with it. Maybe you need to give UU a ring and ask them yourself who's responsibility it is. And im slightly offended at your stereotypical comment towards workmen having 'no pride' in the job.

Its all so good people are having a good complain about it on here, how many people have actually contacted HBC or United Utilities about it? Erm.... im guessing at none.
Old 19-03-2006, 20:18   #94
Beacon of light

I am sad that you are offended......but I am also sad that the repair work was left in such a sorry state. Oh, and by the way, when I pay my council tax I'm sure there is some of it the goes into work such as this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 20:19   #95
Beacon of light

And contacting either of these organisations would be a pointles waste of time.......I'm sure they would pay no heed whatsoever.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 20:20   #96
Resident Waffler

You are quite right to reprimand me for generalising about workmen tomz. Not all are the same but sadly most of them do seem to be. We were very fortunate with our electrician who did the rewiring and cleaned up after himself. He regarded it as his responsibility to leave things as close to how he found them as possible and he did an excellent job. Sadly in my experience he's in the minority.

Old 19-03-2006, 20:22   #97
I am Banned

Well yes I am offended. I see how hard my Dad works, at all times of day and night. And to say that workmen (which im guessing includes my Dad) have no pride in their job is quite offensive. But then again, not every workman is the same, and its nothing to do with my Dad anyway, he's an overhead linesman. And works on pylons. Not underground. So yeah...

Oh and before I go, your council tax doesnt pay UU. It pays HBC who spend the money on essential work in the borough? Perhaps they didnt pay enough for the slabs to be re-paved to 100% satisfaction?

Ah well. Im going now. Nice debating with you this evening. No hard feelings.

Cyaz.
Old 19-03-2006, 20:29   #98
Resident Waffler

Your Dad is probably one of the old brigade tomz who still do take a pride in their work but it does seem to be a dying thing alas.

I remember the days when bin wagons had a little sweeping brush attached and the bin men would pick up or sweep up anything they dropped. That doesn't seem to happen now.

I am sure I am not the only person who has had shoddy work done in one field or another and would never recommend that person to anyone else. The good conscientous workers seem to be fewer and further between these days.

When I started work in a bank it was important to ensure accuracy, before I left it had reached the stage where it didn't matter so much. Small discrepancies were not considered worth the effort of looking into.

Old 20-03-2006, 00:07   #99
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomz
Well yes I am offended. I see how hard my Dad works, at all times of day and night. And to say that workmen (which im guessing includes my Dad) have no pride in their job is quite offensive. But then again, not every workman is the same, and its nothing to do with my Dad anyway, he's an overhead linesman. And works on pylons. Not underground. So yeah...

Oh and before I go, your council tax doesnt pay UU. It pays HBC who spend the money on essential work in the borough? Perhaps they didnt pay enough for the slabs to be re-paved to 100% satisfaction?

Ah well. Im going now. Nice debating with you this evening. No hard feelings.

Cyaz.
How can they be including your dad, he's an overhead linesman, he doesn't work on underground cables. I would suggest though that you go out and watch a few teams dig up pavements, that have plenty of time, and you'll see that they don't care what damage they do. They don't care because as you've said it's not their job to put it back, it's reinstatements job. They just back fill and make it safe(ish). Saying that hbc should pay is completely ludicrous hbc don't own the services, they give permission for them to be under their pavements. UU have to have permission to run them, and permission to close the pavement and permission to dig the pavement up. If they didn't we could all do it. I could just dig the road up and run a cable to over the road. When they get that permission they agree to make good, which is the reinstatement departments job.
Someone should be round to take the slabs back up and relay them properly replacing the broken ones. That is unless thats already been done.
Our council tax or to be more precise the other posters council tax has already paid for them, paid for them to be laid, and they were to 100% perfection, uu undone that work. UU are paid by it's customers, to maintain its supply systems, and that includes, repairs and reinstaments after repairs. If I am wrong, prove it so that i can dig the pavements up and run an unmetered supply over the otherside of the main street so I've got a third christmas light supply, this ones up to it's maximum now, and this and the pub are on the wrong side of the road. Unless your dad can run an overhead for me??
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2006, 11:42   #100
Give, give, give member

Well some bloody workmen, or women, are to blame. The state of the pavements in Hyndburn are a disgrace and very dangerous. If it was the people that layed then in the first place, or the people that subsequently dig them up, they are awful.

They could lay flags properly over a hundred years ago. All the York stone flags they decided to replace with ****ty tarmac and concrete don't even drain off. Where did all the York stone flags go, or the money that was made?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2006, 11:47   #101
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Well some bloody workmen, or women, are to blame. The state of the pavements in Hyndburn are a disgrace and very dangerous. If it was the people that layed then in the first place, or the people that subsequently dig them up, they are awful.

They could lay flags properly over a hundred years ago. All the York stone flags they decided to replace with ****ty tarmac and concrete don't even drain off. Where did all the York stone flags go, or the money that was made?
Can you see todays workforce lifting york flags? takes them all their time to lift a spade never mind flags, heaviest think they lift now is their kettle

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2006, 22:30   #102
God Member

The offending flags/slabs/pavers are cordened off now, HBC must consider the work to be a health and safety hazard.
Old 21-03-2006, 01:13   #103
God Member

The work done in broadway actually seems quite nice in reallity, although it is very cold. I'm sure it will look better when (if) the trees have leaves, and there's some flowers. The messy repairs have ruined it though. The flags that were down are a polished, marble effect, the ones they've thrown down, are normal concrete flags and not only that they're upside down. The whole section will need to replaced, because as ksh says, they've broken nearly every one.
Top end of broadway looks a mess though, especially at the entrance to the new bit, although I've just remembered, you said thats on the list to be done.
Your town hall is very impressive, your market hall is truely amazing, in and out. It has a very good selection of shops too. My only criticism's is that some of the shops are a modern bodge up and look horrid comparred to the paneled counters of some of the older stores. the place could do with a lick of paint inside.
The outdoor market although it wasn't on, looks like it's quite good too. How many of those stalls are taken when it is on???.

Those buildings in broadway, the yellow one looks normal, quite nice even comparred to the blue, which is the most vile building you have. also there's one at the bottom on the opposite side, is it barclays? that looks a mess. The blue one isn't plastic. The window frames are aluminium, the dirty white panels are a board cover over the concrete, like soffit and fasia boards, the canopy front ceramic mosaic, the blue 'plastic' panels are actually toughened glass, painted blue from the inside.
Old 28-03-2006, 14:45   #104
Resident Waffler

I wish I knew what the heck was going on with this damaged area. One minute it's cordoned off as Madhatter said, next minute it's not, then when you look again the barriers are up again!

If you look closely these barrier thingummies are the property of United Utilities so could it be that they are going to make good the damage?

BTW when we had the stone paving slabs you mentioned Rindy I remeber a lot of them being a darned site bigger and heavier than these piddling little paving slabs and yet they were always lifted and replaced with care.

You missed another of our coloured block buildings on your visit Madhatter, on the road parallel to Peel Street where the buses stop. That one can be seen for quite a distance from various vantage points around town but I keep forgetting to take a photo of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brdway 001 (550 x 400).jpg (63.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg brdway 002 (550 x 400).jpg (36.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg brdway 003 (550 x 400).jpg (53.3 KB, 8 views)

Old 28-03-2006, 15:15   #105
God Member

Willow they might be digging it up to fix a problem that could have been fixed when it was first opened.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..