Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-03-2006, 20:51   #76
Beacon of light

Re: Broadway....dug up!

Oh......now there's a thought.......! Have you some inside information on that K.S.H.?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-03-2006, 12:24   #77
God Member

I hope it's put right, you desserve it to be perfect if it's only just been done.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2006, 17:27   #78
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
This is a picture of the wonderful work those United Utilities people did......do you think it is quality repair work....? It looks like a bad patchwork quilt.
Looks like they need some nursery school children to show them how its done.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 19:48   #79
I am Banned

Quote:
I didn't say it was the electric board.....in fact if you look back to my post I said it wasn't the gas or water.......I didn't mention electricity in my original post. And if you go and look on Broadway where the digging took place you will see that there are indeed cracked pavers and that it HAS been shoved back any old way.....with bog standard concrete pavers that do not match the original ones......the cracks haven't even been filled in properly. It is an absolute ar*e of a job and whoever completed it should be saddened by the sub standard workmanship. I just tell it like it is.
Correct me if im wrong but isnt it someone else's job to put paving back nice and neat to your satisfaction? Not United Utilities? If UU spent time re-paving etc on every bit of land they worked on, they would have no other time to do anything! Such as being called out in the early hours on a winter evening to deal with power cuts etc, something which they are actually paid for? If your so bothered about the 'ar*e of a job' why dont you go and re-pave them yourself? Or is that because your not paid to do it? Just like.... erm.... United Utilities?
tomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 19:51   #80
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomz
Correct me if im wrong but isnt it someone else's job to put paving back nice and neat to your satisfaction? Not United Utilities? If UU spent time re-paving etc on every bit of land they worked on, they would have no other time to do anything! Such as being called out in the early hours on a winter evening to deal with power cuts etc, something which they are actually paid for? If your so bothered about the 'ar*e of a job' why dont you go and re-pave them yourself? Or is that because your not paid to do it? Just like.... erm.... United Utilities?
Er, if they dig it up they should repair it to the state it was in before they dug it up. Who elses job do you think it would be?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 19:57   #81
I am Banned

Quote:
It was the work of United Utilities......I thought they were supposed to restore the repaired area to 'original' condition. It isn't just the broken pavers....there are paver put down that don't match the originals and also an area of bald concrete. Just posted the pic so that people who haven't seen the area can see it.
Just a little correction there readers. The work of United Utilities was 'underneath' the paving slabs. I'll give you a little hint Margeret, 'dont' call United Utilities when you want your driveway paving. You might find that the job is somewhat less of what you would expect as they are here to work on UTILITIES not PAVING.

Its not rocket science. (United Paving) Sounds good eh?
Like I said love, dont like it. DIY.
Old 19-03-2006, 19:58   #82
Beacon of light

No Tomz.....the company who dug up the ground have a responsibility to return it to the original condition. It is what they are paid to do. And if you look at the pics you will see that it could, in no way be called a 'satisfactory' job.
Old 19-03-2006, 20:00   #83
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
Er, if they dig it up they should repair it to the state it was in before they dug it up. Who elses job do you think it would be?
Erm... shouldnt it be HBC who sort that out? Like I said, you cant expect UU to spend hours re-paving slabs to 100% customer satisfaction. And do some people think it is possible to uplift concrete paving slabs without cracking them? Oh... in a short amount of time?.... I think not.
Old 19-03-2006, 20:01   #84
Beacon of light

I wouldn't dream of calling United Utilities to have my drive paved.....especially as I have now seen their work....and it doesn't matter that their work was underneath the paving slabs.....they have to make good the repairs to the pavers that THEY dig up. You don't expect the council to come along and fill in a hole that someone else has dug up do you?
Old 19-03-2006, 20:03   #85
I am Banned

Quote:
No Tomz.....the company who dug up the ground have a responsibility to return it to the original condition. It is what they are paid to do. And if you look at the pics you will see that it could, in no way be called a 'satisfactory' job.
I think you'l find if you do some short research, perhaps contact UU. That it isnt their responsibility to restore all their work places to the original condition. It 'isnt' what they are paid to do. If they are told to restore a pipe, or install Utilities somewhere, that is what they do, and if it means digging up surfaces, then that is what they have to do! Nevermind re-paving slabs.
Old 19-03-2006, 20:03   #86
Beacon of light

And while it may not be possible to lift the pavers without doing some damage, it would be expected that the damage would be repaired and the original colour paver be used......not just the bog standard concrete ones......after all this development has only been completed for 3 months(approx)
Old 19-03-2006, 20:04   #87
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomz
And do some people think it is possible to uplift concrete paving slabs without cracking them? Oh... in a short amount of time?.... I think not.
Like I said in an earlier post it is more or less impossible to lift the 1st one without damage, after that they are easy. There not cemented down, there only sat on dry sand so no need for damage to more than 1

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 20:04   #88
I am Banned

Quote:
I wouldn't dream of calling United Utilities to have my drive paved.....especially as I have now seen their work....and it doesn't matter that their work was underneath the paving slabs.....they have to make good the repairs to the pavers that THEY dig up. You don't expect the council to come along and fill in a hole that someone else has dug up do you?
No, your still not getting it there are you. Its not their 'work' to be paving slabs. Their work was to do whatever they needed to do... underneath.
Old 19-03-2006, 20:06   #89
Beacon of light

And NO....I don't like it.....but why would I be doing it myself......don't we pay people to do proper repairs any more?
Old 19-03-2006, 20:07   #90
I am Banned

Quote:
And while it may not be possible to lift the pavers without doing some damage, it would be expected that the damage would be repaired and the original colour paver be used......not just the bog standard concrete ones......after all this development has only been completed for 3 months(approx)
Now your talking. It would 'be expected'. Yes.

But im afraid however much you dont agree, it is not UU job to re-pave anywhere. They didnt just think "oh... we will go and work on Broadway today" it was essential work that needed doing, and was most probably contacted by HBC to do the work. Therefore, it isnt UU's responsibility to re-pave.

Do you see where I am coming from?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..