Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2006, 14:38   #1
Beacon of light

Broadway....dug up!

I went into Accrington today and noticed that there were 4 United Utilities vans on the new pavement........and a very large hole near the doorway of JJB sports. What's the betting that they crack a few of the expensive paving stones and shove them back any old way?

It didn't look like a water or a gas leak..........so what's the hurry to dig it up?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-03-2006, 14:45   #2

Re: Broadway....dug up!

I'm surprised it lasted this long!
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 14:57   #3
God Member

It's probably been done on a sunday because there is no hurry.
I very much doubt if they'll be allowed to get away with it MP, the councils with the help of the government made it so that they, the utility companies , are responsible for making good any repairs to the footpaths.
Back when it became the craze to pedestrianize, councils were laying expensive decorative pavements and utility companies would come along and dig it up replacing it woth tarmac, leaving the council the bill to make good. It was costing millions, I can remember all the press blurb about it.
Would be interesting to see some pics of it now it's finished. are these slabs laid in a design. The pathing is designed in nuneaton to look like a stream running through, or thats what it reminds me of.
One of the most outlandish and interesting town centre I've ever been to is Warrington, where you can also see my name sake sat at a stone table,with alice. The top end is very aztec and totem pole designs, the bottom half is arranged like a stream with water features. If they dug up the streets there I'm not sure if they'd be able to put them back to match, alot of it is cast in su-tu.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 16:06   #4
Resident Waffler

I suppose you could call it a design but it isn't very imaginative. Church St Blackburn by comparison is far more interesting with its series of statues/fountains depicting cotton plants/industry. You have to see them to appreciate what I mean. I'll try to post some photos later on.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 16:53   #5
God Member

Willow I got the chance to see these and they look realy good and dont seem out of place.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 17:36   #6
God Member

They had Electricity on their Jackets and looked to have replaced a major cable when we walked past.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 20:20   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Did anyone hear the fat cable go bang? They often go in a very exciting way
Old 06-03-2006, 10:36   #8
God Member

Better than a fireworks display???

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 14:18   #9
Resident Waffler

Here are some photos I took of Broadway a few minutes ago for those of you who haven't had the pleasure of seeing it.

Design?

Imagination?

It could probably win first prize as the most boring and unimaginative pedestriansed area in the country. And we paid for this!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg broadway and peel st 001.jpg (75.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg broadway and peel st 002.jpg (64.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg broadway and peel st 003.jpg (69.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg broadway and peel st 004.jpg (69.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg broadway and peel st 005.jpg (58.1 KB, 78 views)

Old 06-03-2006, 15:06   #10
God Member

And we're going to pay again remember. Didn't I read in the paper a few weeks ago that the Tory Council budget has some more money earmarked for the top end of Broadway from where the new bit ends up to to top where the mini roundabout is?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 15:53   #11
Resident Waffler

But it's just so boring isn't it? Compare that to Blackburn's Church Street. I'll take some photos next time I'm there but meanwhile here's a couple of the featured statues/fountains.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 071.jpg (56.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 073.jpg (74.8 KB, 28 views)

Old 06-03-2006, 15:55   #12
God Member

Actually the new renovation was mentioned in last weeks Observer. it was reported that £250,000 had been set aside for it. This, oddly enough, was the same amount that was supposed to have been spent on part one. Considering that the remainder is only a third as long as the part already renovated, why are the spending the same amount?

Personally I don't believe a word of it and I think that this is just a sweetner to get Britcliffe through the elections in May.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 06-03-2006 at 15:58.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 16:14   #13
Give, give, give member

Design wise, it leaves me cold.

2/10.

Practicality, especially the ever wet benches.

1/10.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 17:52   #14
God Member

Perhaps they're going to actually do something with part one with some of that cash.
Not a lot to comment on really is there?. As an outsider I feel bad for criticising so in advance I'm sorry. But its just a strip of tarmac with flags each side and chrome street furniture. There is no design as such, or not worth mentioning. The blackburn centre from just two pictures, you can see is far better, thats how Warrington is.
Here looks old, real stone pavements or riven flags, stone kerbs, cobbled streets, real stone market square, all done 10 years ago to get rid of the concrete block paveing that had been laid everywhere in no pattern or design.
Lots of bollards along pavements which are slow disappearing and not being replaced. We have no pedestrian zone, the shops are against it because thay say they need delivery accesss and will lose car trade, despite the fact that most of the cars use it as a short cut. It is one way though. I look forward to the day when it is and we can have cafe's with tables out, benches, trees, features and be able to walk free.
You've got that and they haven't made the most of it, that such a shame.
Old 06-03-2006, 18:11   #15
God Member

The planters don't go and neither does the black plastic rubbish bin! If you choose chrome at least have it all chrome so that it matches.
You've got some nice architecture there. The music zone block is very nice, also the building the green and glass canopy is nice. The blue monstrosity lets it all down though, and I think smacks you in the face so hard that it cancels any thing else out that is nice. can't they replace the panels and paint the concrete with cream stone paint?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..