Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-02-2010, 15:56   #91
Give, give, give member

Re: Brown asks Voters to give Labour a second look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
If you think I am being partial, wait till the conservatives make their selection.

Look forward to it Acidic-babs, but after criticising Janet Storey's suitability to be Mayor of Hyndburn, due to poor grooming, does Graham cut the sartorial mustard for you?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-02-2010, 15:58   #92
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Already been given a boost, on the box, in newspapers & most importantly, on accyweb.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ion-51153.html

Now, while I'm sitting in a queue patiently awaiting some action, what views about waiting lists, (Oy' Jaysay I know your dying to say something but back in line until your names called).
My personal view is that instead of propping up the banks we should have let them all collapse and have one big nationalised bank take over their affairs. The Post Office would have been secured forever if they had seized the opporunity to make it into a bank at a time of national panic.

The money that the NHS needs to radically improve is peanuts compared to that.
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 16:15   #93
God Member

Ken: no you may not suggest a dose of my own medicine. I do not have a grudge against Labour, I disagree with the party, its ethos and it's shabby philosophy, I always have and probably always will. However, as you will see in due course, every politician, of whatever stripe or flavour gets an equal dose of my spleen, I have no favourites (why do you think I describe Britcliffe as the Idiot-in Chief?). The list, I admitted when I posted it, is partial. but contains most of the main complaints against the current Labour administration, so I would have thought that it would only be reasonable that anyone politically aware enough to consider standing for Parliament would have enough nouse to be able to answer them. Seems I was wrong.

It matters not one jot whether Pope stood down of his own accord or not except that it is probably the first thing that he has done of his own accord in the entire time he has represented the borough.
Old 24-02-2010, 16:17   #94
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
does Graham cut the sartorial mustard for you?
I do actually have quite a soft spot for Graham, believe it or not, it must be the chiselled northern good looks.
Old 24-02-2010, 16:26   #95
God Member

And just to make one thing clear, and to forestall any accusations of my being a Tory, arch or otherwise, rindy. Before we go any further let me say that there is only one person in this benighted country who may command my respect and loyalty as a right, and that is Her Majesty. The rest have to earn it. Sadly, most of them fail to.
Old 24-02-2010, 16:28   #96
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
My personal view is that instead of propping up the banks we should have let them all collapse and have one big nationalised bank take over their affairs. The Post Office would have been secured forever if they had seized the opporunity to make it into a bank at a time of national panic.

The money that the NHS needs to radically improve is peanuts compared to that.
Is this known as getting to grips with the subject or just dodging around without actually saying anything?

If it's the former or the latter, have you considered a career in politics? You should fit in quite well, (here's a tip though try the Labour party first they'll literally take anyone that walks in off the street).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 16:33   #97
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
And just to make one thing clear, and to forestall any accusations of my being a Tory, arch or otherwise, rindy. Before we go any further let me say that there is only one person in this benighted country who may command my respect and loyalty as a right, and that is Her Majesty. The rest have to earn it. Sadly, most of them fail to.
well please explain how she has earned it?
Old 24-02-2010, 16:37   #98
God Member

By being nice to her mum. When said mum asked her just who she thought she was. HM's reply is reported as "I'm The Queen, Mummy. I'm The Queen."

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 24-02-2010 at 16:40.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 16:37   #99
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Is this known as getting to grips with the subject or just dodging around without actually saying anything?

If it's the former or the latter, have you considered a career in politics? You should fit in quite well, (here's a tip though try the Labour party first they'll literally take anyone that walks in off the street).
You hinted for my opinion on waiting lists and there it is. If that sort of money was going to be bandied about in an emergency then spend it on something the country desperately needs to sort out a chronic problem.

If the NHS had been sorted instead, two chronic problems could have been solved in one fell swoop by turning the Post Office into a national bank at the same time and we wouldn't have had half the national debt. Personal opinion, nothing more.
Old 24-02-2010, 16:40   #100
Give, give, give member

Quote:
...there is only one person in this benighted country who may command my respect and loyalty as a right, and that is Her Majesty.
Thank you, you're most loyal, but please cease this public show of genuflection.

That's the best bow I've seen since Vanessa Redgrave bent so low at Sunday's BAFTAs, to Prince William, that her fringe brushed the stage.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 16:50   #101

Quote:
You hinted for my opinion on waiting lists and there it is. If that sort of money was going to be bandied about in an emergency then spend it on something the country desperately needs to sort out a chronic problem.

If the NHS had been sorted instead, two chronic problems could have been solved in one fell swoop by turning the Post Office into a national bank at the same time and we wouldn't have had half the national debt. Personal opinion, nothing more.
I'm sure that had the topic been allowed to 'drift', as you so poetically put it, towards race & the BNP you would have had far more to say to stir the hearts of the every Englishman.

Is the NHS too difficult?

Perhaps we could start you on something a little easier....I know Council Tax, we can't have anything bad to say about that, after all it was announced today that this years increases will be the lowest this coming April.
BBC News - Council tax bills set for 'lowest rise' in April

Old 24-02-2010, 16:55   #102
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
That's the best bow I've seen since Vanessa Redgrave bent so low at Sunday's BAFTAs, to Prince William, that her fringe brushed the stage.
I am getting in practice, I have expectations of the Dissolution Honours List
Old 24-02-2010, 16:58   #103
Common Sense Member

Instead of all this hyperbole, why not just ask me whatever it is you're going round the houses to get out of me?

You keep coming back to race and the BNP as if it was me that 'manipulated' the thread but it was actually Neil that brought it up in post 29.
Old 24-02-2010, 17:08   #104

Quote:
Instead of all this hyperbole, why not just ask me whatever it is you're going round the houses to get out of me?

You keep coming back to race and the BNP as if it was me that 'manipulated' the thread but it was actually Neil that brought it up in post 29.
How very true, and it took until post #77 to 'drift' your way.

Quote:
Exactly. In your view, something people are fully entitled to in a democracy without the threat of being branded for it.

Again, I'll raise the subject of the Black Police Officer's Association. Just remind me why that isn't considered racist?
I replied with:-
Quote:
Oh, no not down the slippery slope to racism again? We already know some folk are more equal than others in many coloured skins.

Aren't there more valid examples of inequality that could serve your purpose just as well?

Schools, public transport, so on & so on. Or is it easier to stir up the emotions at the expense of 'race'?

Up until that point you had been rising in my opinion, but you let me down, you let the area down, but worst of all you let yourself down.

Old 24-02-2010, 18:32   #105
Full Member+

We can argue till we are blue in the face (or red as the case may be) as to which party would be best suited to govern this god-forsaken and ungovernable island, but at the end of the day there is no getting away from the fact that the European Commission currently pulls the strings that we should have severed years ago.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..