Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-02-2010, 19:10   #106
God Member

Re: Brown asks Voters to give Labour a second look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
And just to make one thing clear, and to forestall any accusations of my being a Tory, arch or otherwise, rindy. Before we go any further let me say that there is only one person in this benighted country who may command my respect and loyalty as a right, and that is Her Majesty. The rest have to earn it. Sadly, most of them fail to.
Nice to see respect for Her Majesty the Queen of Canada
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-02-2010, 19:14   #107
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Nice to see respect for Her Majesty the Queen of Canada
Yes it must be nice for the French speakers to have a neighbour from the Motherland, as their German Queen.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 08:37   #108
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
How very true, and it took until post #77 to 'drift' your way.
Do forgive me for being gainfully employed and leaving gaps between posts. I will endeavour to spend more time on Accyweb....
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 09:48   #109
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Do forgive me for being gainfully employed and leaving gaps between posts. I will endeavour to spend more time on Accyweb....
Not up to your usual standard of rhetoric have I been getting too close to the truth for you?

I do apologise, after all I can see the passion you are putting into being 'all things to all men', obviously it is important to you, but perhaps if you don't try so hard at it, even a sceptic like me might think you are trying for the good of us all.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 10:11   #110
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Not up to your usual standard of rhetoric have I been getting too close to the truth for you?

I do apologise, after all I can see the passion you are putting into being 'all things to all men', obviously it is important to you, but perhaps if you don't try so hard at it, even a sceptic like me might think you are trying for the good of us all.
I'll take that as a compliment, thank you.

I've got definite views on many topics so just ask away if you want to know, I won't be intentionally skirting your questions if that's how it appears. My only gripe is with anyone who is deliberately abrasive to provoke a response rather than trying to have a reasoned argument from a different viewpoint. I'm likely to lose respect for someone at that point.

If you're trying to wrench out of me whether I'm racist or not then the answer is no. However, I certainly don't believe in positive discrimination either (for example, political correctness) and feel that in many ways that is even more unfair.

As for being 'all things to all men' I can see why you would think that but I assure you I am not. If I disagree with somebody I have no qualms about stating why and justifying my reasons. My views on Hyndburn are entirely my own, whereas my views on Rishton are for the good of the town.

Since no one else from Rishton seems to be on here at the moment, any perceived attempts by me to be seen as a politician are redundant since no Accyweb members are eligible to vote for me. Several posters seem to be under the impression that I'm on here to be seen that way but I'd be wasting my time since I'm not going to affect anyone on these forums.
Old 25-02-2010, 10:14   #111
God Member

as a person from rishton what is your view on the eleventh toe?

amputate or keep ?

baxenden opted to keep theirs and burnley are still looking up amputate in the dictionary

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 10:29   #112
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I'll take that as a compliment, thank you.
You're welcome.

Quote:
I've got definite views on many topics so just ask away if you want to know, I won't be intentionally skirting your questions if that's how it appears. My only gripe is with anyone who is deliberately abrasive to provoke a response rather than trying to have a reasoned argument from a different viewpoint. I'm likely to lose respect for someone at that point.
I did ask away yesterday, but to me you didn't seem to have much of an agenda for the questions posed.
Quote:
If you're trying to wrench out of me whether I'm racist or not then the answer is no. However, I certainly don't believe in positive discrimination either (for example, political correctness) and feel that in many ways that is even more unfair.
I don't think you're a racist & I agree with you about positive discrimination, however it does seem very easy for you to use the emotive subject of race, which to me is a lazy man's politics.

Quote:
As for being 'all things to all men' I can see why you would think that but I assure you I am not. If I disagree with somebody I have no qualms about stating why and justifying my reasons. My views on Hyndburn are entirely my own, whereas my views on Rishton are for the good of the town.
Good that's, that sorted we agree again, you have been appearing as 'all things to all men', shall we just put it down to over-enthusiasm?

Quote:
Since no one else from Rishton seems to be on here at the moment, any perceived attempts by me to be seen as a politician are redundant since no Accyweb members are eligible to vote for me. Several posters seem to be under the impression that I'm on here to be seen that way but I'd be wasting my time since I'm not going to affect anyone on these forums.
Plenty of people from Rishton do come on from time to time, and they have relatives on this site, it's amazing the power word of mouth has, and no politician is wasting his time while he has an audience which in this case is accyweb, be kind to us while you practice your skills who knows where you might want your ambitions to reach fruition in the future.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 10:41   #113
Common Sense Member

Quote:
I don't think you're a racist & I agree with you about positive discrimination, however it does seem very easy for you to use the emotive subject of race, which to me is a lazy man's politics.
It's been brought up by other people in a couple of threads and I've chipped in. I've never actually brought the subject up myself. It's just a touchy subject that people seem hyper-sensitive about so whenever anyone expresses an opinion it's a big deal.

Like I said, it really isn't something that we have to deal with in Rishton so it has very little relevance to any political ideas I have for the town. If it crops up again I'll happily discuss it but it is not something of primary importance in my day-to-day life and very low down on my list of priorities.
Old 25-02-2010, 10:51   #114
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Like I said, it really isn't something that we have to deal with in Rishton so it has very little relevance to any political ideas I have for the town. If it crops up again I'll happily discuss it but it is not something of primary importance in my day-to-day life and very low down on my list of priorities.
Sadly it seems to be a problem everywhere, even in Rishton, for those able to see it.

Rishton station hit by racist graffiti (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Old 25-02-2010, 11:06   #115
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Sadly it seems to be a problem everywhere, even in Rishton, for those able to see it.

Rishton station hit by racist graffiti (From Lancashire Telegraph)

There was a very brief spate of it about 18 months ago but it was clearly just one person doing all the spraying. This was another isolated incident at the train station and there has been nothing since. It may not even have been someone from Rishton but the problem was dealt with quickly.

In a village with a very small ethnic population, Rishton tends to have far less racially-motivated incidents than other wards in the borough. Most people are far more worried about the gradual reduction of community facilities and the lack of investment from the council when certain other wards are getting several hundred thousand pounds a year.

The official figures show otherwise, of course.
Old 25-02-2010, 11:17   #116
Give, give, give member

Quote:
There was a very brief spate of it about 18 months ago but it was clearly just one person doing all the spraying. This was another isolated incident at the train station and there has been nothing since. It may not even have been someone from Rishton but the problem was dealt with quickly.

In a village with a very small ethnic population, Rishton tends to have far less racially-motivated incidents than other wards in the borough. Most people are far more worried about the gradual reduction of community facilities and the lack of investment from the council when certain other wards are getting several hundred thousand pounds a year.

The official figures show otherwise, of course.
Seems Rishton wasn't immune to racist attacks three years ago as well.

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Lancashire | Graffiti daubed on town churches

Old 25-02-2010, 11:22   #117
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Seems Rishton wasn't immune to racist attacks three years ago as well.

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Lancashire | Graffiti daubed on town churches
That was actually what I was referring to although off the top of my head it didn't seem that long ago. Reinforces my point though and because it was so unusual it made a big stir.
Old 25-02-2010, 11:26   #118
Give, give, give member

Quote:
That was actually what I was referring to although off the top of my head it didn't seem that long ago. Reinforces my point though and because it was so unusual it made a big stir.
Yes, it was unusual, as we've not witnessed many similar attacks in the rest of Hyndburn.

Last edited by garinda; 25-02-2010 at 11:29.
Old 25-02-2010, 11:32   #119
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Yes, it was unusual, as we've not witnessed similar attacks in the rest of Hyndburn.
Has it ever occurred to you that maybe there have been and you just haven't been informed? I personally am not aware of every single thing that occurs in Hyndburn and if you are then that really is quite amazing.
Old 25-02-2010, 11:40   #120
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Yes, it was unusual, as we've not witnessed many similar attacks in the rest of Hyndburn.
You edited your post as I was replying.

I think it got into the papers because the locals were so stunned by it. Perhaps in another town where it has happened before, or at least is not so unexpected, it would not have been considered newsworthy.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..