Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-02-2010, 14:03   #76
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Brown asks Voters to give Labour a second look

i sure know enough to call em thugs n those who vote fer em stupid. whilst we all know the main partys have done sod all to grasp the immigration nettle, anyone interested enough should lobby/ campaign em to get off the pot, its as simple as that in my view.
Old 24-02-2010, 14:12   #77
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i sure know enough to call em thugs n those who vote fer em stupid. whilst we all know the main partys have done sod all to grasp the immigration nettle, anyone interested enough should lobby/ campaign em to get off the pot, its as simple as that in my view.
Exactly. In your view, something people are fully entitled to in a democracy without the threat of being branded for it.

Again, I'll raise the subject of the Black Police Officer's Association. Just remind me why that isn't considered racist?
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 14:25   #78
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Exactly. In your view, something people are fully entitled to in a democracy without the threat of being branded for it.

Again, I'll raise the subject of the Black Police Officer's Association. Just remind me why that isn't considered racist?

Oh, no not down the slippery slope to racism again? We already know some folk are more equal than others in many coloured skins.

Aren't there more valid examples of inequality that could serve your purpose just as well?

Schools, public transport, so on & so on. Or is it easier to stir up the emotions at the expense of 'race'?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 14:28   #79
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

depends on yer point of view, it is in mine. so why should i remind you why it isnt?
Old 24-02-2010, 14:33   #80
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Oh, no not down the slippery slope to racism again? We already know some folk are more equal than others in many coloured skins.

Aren't there more valid examples of inequality that could serve your purpose just as well?

Schools, public transport, so on & so on. Or is it easier to stir up the emotions at the expense of 'race'?
Fair point, Less. However, we had drifted on to the BNP and it seemed a pertinent example of perspective - one is a organisation of people with a common interest prejudiced towards one race, the other is an organisation of people with a common interest prejudiced toward one race.

One is racist and yet the other is not. Difference of perspective. Personally speaking, either both are racist or neither are.
Old 24-02-2010, 14:45   #81
God Member

Oh dear, it looks as though I have committed something of a faux-pas. Not to worry, easily mended. I half inched the list with which I started this thread from the comments appended to an article in last Sunday's Telegraph, The poster of said comment was annonymous so I couldn't really apportion credit. I actually think the list has been floating around the web in different forms for quite a while, so accurate attribution would be well nigh impossible anyway.

Sorry to disappoint you Mancie but, I don't think that because the list is unattributable it makes it any less valid as a stick with which to beat an incompetent and potentially treasonous administration. As for the Flan Flinger jibe...yeah, right, whatever.
Old 24-02-2010, 14:55   #82
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Now, now Cashy I know you and Jaysay don't see eye to eye over politics, but name calling won't help.
That's right Less, but we like the same music and football teams, and neither of us suffer fools gladly on the right or the left
Old 24-02-2010, 15:12   #83

Quote:
Fair point, Less. However, we had drifted on to the BNP and it seemed a pertinent example of perspective - one is a organisation of people with a common interest prejudiced towards one race, the other is an organisation of people with a common interest prejudiced toward one race.

One is racist and yet the other is not. Difference of perspective. Personally speaking, either both are racist or neither are.
Ah! now that begs a question, did we drift or were we pushed towards a topic that is so much easier to apportion highly emotive blame against a minority?

A master of manipulation wouldn't find it too difficult.

Lets see if we can stop this drift by substituting a different example Off the top of my head equally emotive and also without much hope of being fixed in my lifetime by any party, how about the NHS that should get the old 'rivers of blood' attitude a good airing

Not enough blood donors, not enough organ donors, not enough politicians wanting to grasp this embarrassingly weeping sore and give it a decent injection that could mean a cure for many a poor soul and if you want to play the touch of a racist card heavily dependent on people of all colours helping for very little reward.
Old 24-02-2010, 15:23   #84
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Ah! now that begs a question, did we drift or were we pushed towards a topic that is so much easier to apportion highly emotive blame against a minority?

A master of manipulation wouldn't find it too difficult.

Lets see if we can stop this drift by substituting a different example Off the top of my head equally emotive and also without much hope of being fixed in my lifetime by any party, how about the NHS that should get the old 'rivers of blood' attitude a good airing

Not enough blood donors, not enough organ donors, not enough politicians wanting to grasp this embarrassingly weeping sore and give it a decent injection that could mean a cure for many a poor soul and if you want to play the touch of a racist card heavily dependent on people of all colours helping for very little reward.
If you're talking about mandatory organ donation you can have my signature today. That's my personal view and it's a topic that really is worthy of wider debate.
Old 24-02-2010, 15:27   #85

Quote:
If you're talking about mandatory organ donation you can have my signature today. That's my personal view and it's a topic that really is worthy of wider debate.
O.K. so thats a start, not exactly throwing yourself at it like a blackman possessed though are you, (I apologise if I've offended the possessed, black-men know who they are)!

Old 24-02-2010, 15:38   #86
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I'm all for opt out rather than opt in Ken, and I agree about a wider bebate
Old 24-02-2010, 15:41   #87
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'm all for opt out rather than opt in Ken, and I agree about a wider bebate
Just speaking personally, John. The Donor Card scheme could do with another push rather than forcing people to accept being carved up after death. I can see why it's not very appealing to everyone but as far as I'm concerned once I'm gone, I'm gone.

All I would ask is that they do actually wait till I'm gone.....
Old 24-02-2010, 15:42   #88
God Member

And then we come to Graham's wish list...

If you recall I asked Graham how he replied to, and could morally defend, the charges laid against his party during their 13 year administration. His reply; it all depends on how you look at it.

I also asked him how he would persuade voters to give his party another five years in office. His reply; a wish list.

It is the same tired, meaningless tripe that I have heard spouted at every election by every candidate since I first became old enough to vote. The only difference in this wish list are the references to private landlords, which I happen to know is a particular hobby horse of Graham's.

At the time of the last General Election I dimly recall writing on here that one should approach the selection of an MP as though one were an employer with a £60k job on offer. I advised that the voter should disregard party loyalty and cast their vote for the person best qualified to undertake the job. And though no one took my advice and voted Greg -Yes, Chief Whip - Pope into the position for another term, I stand by my original advice. Your MP must work for you. He is sent to Parliament to represent your views and make your voice heard at the heart of Government. If he cannot do that, if all he can do is spout the party line, and carry on holding political grudges dating back a quarter of a century then I suggest that, despite his local connections, he is not the best man for the job.

This is a pity, because Graham is an effective Councillor and I know he has worked very hard to make the lives of his constituents better. But perhaps, local people and local issues in a local arena are his forte. I wrote the other day that I wished for an MP with a bit of umphf, a bit of fizz and presence about them. Nice chap though he is, sadly, Graham does not fit the bill. The list and this thread were intended to give him an opportunity to impress on us what a godsend to us all he would make as our MP. And what do we get... It depends on how you look at it...and a rerun of the 1980's.

If you think I am being partial, wait till the conservatives make their selection.
Old 24-02-2010, 15:46   #89

Quote:
Just speaking personally, John. The Donor Card scheme could do with another push rather than forcing people to accept being carved up after death. I can see why it's not very appealing to everyone but as far as I'm concerned once I'm gone, I'm gone.

All I would ask is that they do actually wait till I'm gone.....
Already been given a boost, on the box, in newspapers & most importantly, on accyweb.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ion-51153.html

Now, while I'm sitting in a queue patiently awaiting some action, what views about waiting lists, (Oy' Jaysay I know your dying to say something but back in line until your names called).
Old 24-02-2010, 15:49   #90
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
If you recall I asked Graham how he replied to, and could morally defend, the charges laid against his party during their 13 year administration. His reply; it all depends on how you look at it.

I advised that the voter should disregard party loyalty and cast their vote for the person best qualified to undertake the job. And though no one took my advice and voted Greg -Yes, Chief Whip - Pope into the position for another term, I stand by my original advice.

If all he can do is spout the party line, and carry on holding political grudges dating back a quarter of a century then I suggest that, despite his local connections, he is not the best man for the job.
Might I suggest a dose of your own medicine?

The whole crux of your opening question was based on a 13-year grudge and a biased list of slip ups that you cribbed from someone else. Graham is supposed to come back at that without a list of counter-arguments?

Plus, Greg Pope stood down of his own accord.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..