Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-04-2009, 08:52   #46
God Member

Re: Budget 2009

No matter which party is in opposition they all same the same thing, they can do a better job than the resident government. It's been going on since parliament existed, one day somebody may actually prove it
Old 23-04-2009, 09:01   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
No matter which party is in opposition they all same the same thing, they can do a better job than the resident government. It's been going on since parliament existed, one day somebody may actually prove it
I hear what your saying dave, but this time I'm a hundred per cent sure, mind you the Monster Raving Loony Party could do better that this shower, Wynonie for PM
Old 23-04-2009, 15:20   #48
Beacon of light

If an election was called tomorrow, whoever won it would be in the unenviable position of trying to sort out these huge problems.

I agree with Andrew though, you cannot borrow your way out of a recession that was caused in the first place by irresponsible uncontrolled borrowing.

But then what can you expect.......the fiasco over expenses for MP's has done untold damage.......they can live off the fat of the land (our taxes), tell us to be more prudent,
and almost smirk while they see us on our uppers.
Now, if they cannot see that this is immoral, how can we trust them to make judgements that affect all of us?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 16:07   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
If an election was called tomorrow, whoever won it would be in the unenviable position of trying to sort out these huge problems.

I agree with Andrew though, you cannot borrow your way out of a recession that was caused in the first place by irresponsible uncontrolled borrowing.

But then what can you expect.......the fiasco over expenses for MP's has done untold damage.......they can live off the fat of the land (our taxes), tell us to be more prudent,
and almost smirk while they see us on our uppers.
Now, if they cannot see that this is immoral, how can we trust them to make judgements that affect all of us?
Think what you have said is true, especially about borrowing, but that as always been the Labour way, knowing full well that if it goes belly up it won't be them picking up the pieces, it happened in 1950, 1979 and even more so now, but this time its a mitigated disaster, we are now, as a country in the biggest doubt for over 300 years, things can only get better was the cry in 1997, ya reght
Old 23-04-2009, 16:14   #50
God Member

I'm not denying that we're in a mess right now but would we honestly have been in any different situation if the Conservatives were in. It's a world wide recession so it would have hit us anyway. In one way, it's probably come at the right time for the Conservatives because they'll take over (and I'm not actually in much doubt that they'll win) and they'll be able to blame everything on the previous administration.

The only thing will be if the Conservatives can come up with a way of getting us out of it whilst the rest of the world wallow in it.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 16:29   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I'm not denying that we're in a mess right now but would we honestly have been in any different situation if the Conservatives were in. It's a world wide recession so it would have hit us anyway. In one way, it's probably come at the right time for the Conservatives because they'll take over (and I'm not actually in much doubt that they'll win) and they'll be able to blame everything on the previous administration.

The only thing will be if the Conservatives can come up with a way of getting us out of it whilst the rest of the world wallow in it.
My thoughts exactly Gayle.

To jaysay, Royboy et al... it's all well and good slating the government for borrowing so much money, but I hear not one opposition supporter or politician saying what they would do differently.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 16:42   #52
Resting in Peace

Quote:

But in this case it will be true, we left Labour in a rosy position in 97, after cleaning their last effort up 74/79, we were the worst prepared country in the modern world going into this recession because we had a chancellor who spent the brass and didn't look to the future, oh and by the way there still hasn't been a Labour Lackey on here yet, they've gone missing again
Old 23-04-2009, 16:43   #53
Senior Member+

Quote:

Don't be too sure Gayle. It's a long time until the next general election. It's also not what we are finding on the door steps.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 16:53   #54
God Member

Well fair enough Bernard. Perhaps if the election was tomorrow it could be a Tory win, but you're right, it's a long time off.

Perhaps the County Elections will give us a better indication as to how people are voting right now.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 17:20   #55
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
My thoughts exactly Gayle.

To jaysay, Royboy et al... it's all well and good slating the government for borrowing so much money, but I hear not one opposition supporter or politician saying what they would do differently.
What good would that do? The arrogance of this Labour Government as it stands would take no notice anyway.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 17:29   #56
Beacon of light

This situation is a bit like a football club that fires the manager because it isn't getting the wins......the next chap in HAS to make sure there are wins.........and I can't really think of a party that has a crew that is up to the job....in effect whoever wins the next election will pick up a 'poison chalice'.......unenviable.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 17:31   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
Don't be too sure Gayle. It's a long time until the next general election. It's also not what we are finding on the door steps.
Do you knock on every door or do you Knit one Pearl one?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 17:36   #58
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Do you knock on every door or do you Knit one Pearl one?
They never knock on my door Roy
Old 23-04-2009, 17:40   #59
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
What good would that do? The arrogance of this Labour Government as it stands would take no notice anyway.
So it's ok for the opposition not to serve their purpose by offering no alternative, all the while slating the government for their decisions?
What a pathetic response.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 17:47   #60
God Member

It might inspire more people to believe them (any party here) if they stopped claiming such ludicrous amounts of money for second homes and such like when they don't need them. It is all good and well saying they aren't breaking any rules but they made the rules theirselves!!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..