Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-04-2009, 12:21   #1
God Member

Budget 2009

• Borrowing £175bn THIS year. Some £600bn over 4 years (I think that's the highest in peace time history)
  • Economy shrink 3.5% 2009
  • Income tax on those earning over £150k up to 50% from April
  • Spending growth down to under 1%
  • Alcohol and tobacco tax up 2%
  • £1bn to help climate change
  • Debt will be 80% of GDP
  • Millions to get anyone under 25 into work or training.
  • Fuel duty up 2p/litre from September
  • £500m to kick start housing projects to deliver thousands of new homes.
  • £100m to local authorities for energy saving housing
  • £50m to modernise Army housing
  • Companies can defer tax on profits from last three years
  • £9bn efficiency savings
  • Broadband investment (think it was £10m)
  • Capital allowance for investments doubled to 40%
  • Cut carbon emissions by 34%
  • £525m financial support for offshore wind power
  • £20 extra child tax credit
  • £100 disability extra trust fund
  • Grandparents get more basic state pension for helping child care
  • Real term basic state pension increase
  • Maintaining winter fuel allowance
  • Tax free ISA's from £7,200 limit to £10,200

Could have missed some things, started writing half way through.

Last edited by andrewb; 22-04-2009 at 12:25.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-04-2009, 12:49   #2

Re: Budget 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
  • Borrowing £175bn THIS year. Some £600bn over 4 years (I think that's the highest in peace time history)
  • Debt will be 80% of GDP
GDP is going to be DOUBLE what it was when Labour came in.
Absolutely abhorrent figures.

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 13:08   #3
God Member

Quote:
£1.7bn additional resources for Job Centre network
Another gross amount of money poured in to the waste drain of a government agency
Old 22-04-2009, 13:24   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchman phil View Post
GDP is going to be DOUBLE what it was when Labour came in.
Absolutely abhorrent figures.
There wasn't a global recession then.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 14:03   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
There wasn't a global recession then.
obviously not shaker.
Old 22-04-2009, 14:21   #6
God Member

Quote:
I think this is £512bn over 4 years. Either way it's bigger than every governments borrowing added together since the Bank of England was set up 300 years ago.
Old 22-04-2009, 14:23   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I think this is £512bn over 4 years. Either way it's bigger than every governments borrowing added together since the Bank of England was set up 300 years ago.
whatever the answer to this recession is i sure don't know, i await yer learned answer.
Old 22-04-2009, 14:41   #8
God Member

The answer to this recession is confidence. Nobody can have confidence while the government continues to borrow hundreds of billions of pounds, more than 300 years of accumulated government borrowing. It's time we live within our means, and importantly government has to do the same as us.
Old 22-04-2009, 14:53   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
The answer to this recession is confidence. Nobody can have confidence while the government continues to borrow hundreds of billions of pounds, more than 300 years of accumulated government borrowing. It's time we live within our means, and importantly government has to do the same as us.
that shows just like me ya have no idea, confidence is as much use as a fart in a spacesuit, if all the countries in this recession do not follow suit. ya are just using this as another excuse to rubbish yer opponents, it really is very sad.
Old 22-04-2009, 15:06   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
that shows just like me ya have no idea, confidence is as much use as a fart in a spacesuit, if all the countries in this recession do not follow suit. ya are just using this as another excuse to rubbish yer opponents, it really is very sad.
You ask for an answer, I'm telling you I don't think borrowing hundreds of billions is the answer. By telling you that I'm not trying to rubbish the government for the sake of it - I do it because I profoundly disagree with what they're doing. Future generations will have to live with their mistakes.

If you wanted me to expand then what I'm saying is government should be spending less. You cannot borrow your way our of a recession caused by borrowing too much. If it spends less then government can reduce taxes that affect everyone, not just the rich. People will have more money in their pocket, to spend on goods and services. Which means more jobs are created in the productive part of the economy.
Old 22-04-2009, 15:12   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

my view is simple i don't know, so therefore i leave it to people who should know better than me. i am happy to ride with their solution n see what happens, then if it does fail, i reckon i am then entitled to slag em, its called giving people the benefit of the doubt.
Old 22-04-2009, 16:08   #12
God Member

Quote:
You ask for an answer, I'm telling you I don't think borrowing hundreds of billions is the answer. By telling you that I'm not trying to rubbish the government for the sake of it - I do it because I profoundly disagree with what they're doing. Future generations will have to live with their mistakes.

If you wanted me to expand then what I'm saying is government should be spending less. You cannot borrow your way our of a recession caused by borrowing too much. If it spends less then government can reduce taxes that affect everyone, not just the rich. People will have more money in their pocket, to spend on goods and services. Which means more jobs are created in the productive part of the economy.
You make it all sound very simple Andrew..how about telling us were you would start making your cuts in public spending to pay for your tax breaks and less Government borrowing..NHS? sickness benifits? pensions?..or by cutting jobs in public sector causing even worse unemployment?
Your solution is the same old Tory way that has been tried and tested in the past..in fact it has been the same Tory policy since the war..and has never worked..it just causes more misery!...have you people got any new ideas?

Last edited by Mancie; 22-04-2009 at 16:11.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 16:10   #13
Resting in Peace

Well the best thing is to get rid of Gormless Gordon and his pet puppet AlistairDoddy has just unveiled a statue in Ulverston of two of the finest comedians that ever lived Stan and Olly, think we should have one of our Dynamic Duo in Parliament Square, at least we could get our own back when the pigeons do to them what they've done to use over the last few years, mainly from a great height
Old 22-04-2009, 16:17   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
You make it all sound very simple Andrew..how about telling us were you would start making your cuts in public spending to pay for your tax breaks and less Government borrowing..NHS? sickness benifits? pensions?..or by cutting jobs in public sector causing even worse unemployment?
Your solution is the same old Tory way that has been tried and tested in the past..in fact it has been the same Tory policy since the war..and has never worked..it just causes more misery!...have you people got any new ideas?
How many noughts in 600 Billion Mancie?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 16:24   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
How many noughts in 600 Billion Mancie?
oh I don't know..are we talking Peso's?..cause I reckon it's about 6 quid
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..