Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-04-2009, 19:01   #76
God Member

Re: Budget 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Go shoot your Rare Bits.
I keep my rare bits well covered and protected .... and also my wallet ... esp. when there are tories around .... at least when Labour picks at your wallet, the money goes to help the country. With the tories, it often ends up in their pockets, or their already well-heeled friends and backers.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-04-2009, 19:20   #77
Senior Member+

On the subject of 2nd home allowances why on earth should there be a need for this at all, surely either Hotel/Apartment Accomodation could be used at greatly reduced costs, or even better still an accomodation block purposely built to provide each MP with a basic bedroom and office room if needed, would cost an awfull lot less in the long run, and the property itself would also be an asset!

Also George Osbourne mentioned yesterday and today that as a result of the budget everyone earning over £20,000 pa would be paying more tax! How has he quantified this? Am i missing something, because other than last years almighty cockup with the 10p tax situation, i had'nt noticed any detrimental tax policy for the relatively low paid?

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 19:29   #78
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
all the civilized world are in debt, suppose that's browns fault as well. all in debt fer the reason, typical tory rubbish, brown/ cameron, none of em will get us out of the crap,without co-operation of other nations, that's plain to see.............unless yer a tory.
None of them will get us out of the crap unless we put forward a decent escape plan cashy, the thing is that Darling said yesterday that we need to borrow £175 billion this year alone, but that's where the problem lies, where does this money come from? It comes from the money men (or Toffs as Mancie calls them) these money men ask the advice of the city economists, or number crunchers, these people have already said that the Governments figures don't add up, "We have a problem Huston". If these number crunchers turn round and say, which they are likely to do, that Great Britain PLC is a dodgy investment proposition, then good old Gordon and Alistair are up the Swan without a paddle, big time
Old 23-04-2009, 19:31   #79
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
On the subject of 2nd home allowances why on earth should there be a need for this at all, surely either Hotel/Apartment Accommodation could be used at greatly reduced costs, or even better still an accommodation block purposely built to provide each MP with a basic bedroom and office room if needed, would cost an awful lot less in the long run, and the property itself would also be an asset!

Also George Osbourne mentioned yesterday and today that as a result of the budget everyone earning over £20,000 pa would be paying more tax! How has he quantified this? Am i missing something, because other than last years almighty cockup with the 10p tax situation, i hadn't noticed any detrimental tax policy for the relatively low paid?

Best Regards - Taggy
National insurance contributions Taggy is one main reason, not a tax as such but a stealth tax
Old 23-04-2009, 19:38   #80
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I keep my rare bits well covered and protected .... and also my wallet ... esp. when there are tories around .... at least when Labour picks at your wallet, the money goes to help the country.
It goes to do what?

I think politics on your side of the pond may differ somewhat.?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 19:56   #81
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
or even better still an accomodation block purposely built to provide each MP with a basic bedroom and office room if needed, would cost an awfull lot less in the long run, and the property itself would also be an asset!
Having all the Government living in one place would be a massive security risk
Old 23-04-2009, 19:58   #82
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
So it's ok for the opposition not to serve their purpose by offering no alternative, all the while slating the government for their decisions?
What a pathetic response.
Maybe Graham will come along and remind us how he thinks up good ideas for Hyndburn and accuses the Tories of nicking his ideas.

Maybe the Tories don't want to help Labour out of the mess they caused - or maybe they have no idea what to do either
Old 23-04-2009, 20:02   #83
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Having all the Government living in one place would be a massive security risk
or maybe not Neil It could be a brain free zone
Old 23-04-2009, 20:02   #84
Beacon of light

The main problem is that we, as a country have no savings......when Gordon was Chancellor he said there would be no more boom and bust....he believed his own spin so much that he thought he could sell the family silver.....and look where it has got us.

I know the financial situation is of worldwide dimensions, but surely that was because a lot of the money markets were based here........when the banks in the US sneezed, all the financial organisations were affected by the lack of confidence in British money markets.

The media then 'talked down' sterling, finance and british business, any efforts made to rectify the situation were too little and far too late.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 20:07   #85
God Member

This 'world financial crisis' has been engineered as the first stage of a World Bank.
There will follow - World Government and a World Army
You may well say 'why an army'?
....it will be needed to supress any dissidents... and quite a few are expected

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 20:16   #86
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The main problem is that we, as a country have no savings......when Gordon was Chancellor he said there would be no more boom and bust....he believed his own spin so much that he thought he could sell the family silver.....and look where it has got us.

I know the financial situation is of worldwide dimensions, but surely that was because a lot of the money markets were based here........when the banks in the US sneezed, all the financial organisations were affected by the lack of confidence in British money markets.

The media then 'talked down' sterling, finance and british business, any efforts made to rectify the situation were too little and far too late.
Margaret...you have hit the nail on the head...It was the pundits and the governer of the bank of England who drove down sterling and the government did nothing to stop it.
Exports are cheaper yes....but there is no money to support it.
Why should I now buy from China, as I have always done when sterling will only buy 75% of what I was paying 1 year ago...why should I buy sterling with euros at equal parity.......no bloody way.
Sterling will have a deep effect on many currencies and many people who would have taken sterling in the past as a reliable currency will no longer take it.
We are and the pound is in a mess.

Old 23-04-2009, 20:46   #87
God Member

Quote:
Margaret...you have hit the nail on the head...It was the pundits and the governer of the bank of England who drove down sterling and the government did nothing to stop it.
Exports are cheaper yes....but there is no money to support it.
Why should I now buy from China, as I have always done when sterling will only buy 75% of what I was paying 1 year ago...why should I buy sterling with euros at equal parity.......no bloody way.
Sterling will have a deep effect on many currencies and many people who would have taken sterling in the past as a reliable currency will no longer take it.
We are and the pound is in a mess.
As an addiition to my last post, I am nearing the age of seventy and my life in the commercial world will end on !!th June.
I owe nothing and no-one owes me anything...a nice position to be in.
Good luck in the future to the ones who aspire to start a business and to the ones who keep their jobs.
Good advise to all...keep your eye on the ball and dont let the barstewards get you down.

Old 23-04-2009, 21:07   #88
God Member

its because we will be joining the euro soon
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 21:12   #89
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
its because we will be joining the euro soon
The gnomes will be pleased....but not for me thankyou.

Old 24-04-2009, 00:34   #90
God Member

Quote:
It goes to do what?

I think politics on your side of the pond may differ somewhat.?
Politics over here is way different .... Canadians are natural Liberals .... that translates as a government with fiscal resoponsibility and a social conscience. We have a conservative minority govt. now, but they are held in check by a strong Liberal minority. The majority of Canadians will vote for the party which supports publicaly funded health care and is commited to maintaint our social "safety net".

And in a lighter mood: Why did the Canadian cross the road? Answer: "To get to the middle".
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..