Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-11-2007, 21:23   #31
Super Moderator

Re: Cold calling should be illegal!

Dave, if any cold callers are unwise enough to pick your house in the next few days, send her out to see 'em...then phone for an ambulance!
Old 17-11-2007, 21:26   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Dave, if any cold callers are unwise enough to pick your house in the next few days, send her out to see 'em...then phone for an ambulance!
The Stanley Rottweiler
Old 17-11-2007, 21:48   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITZY View Post
Red Cross called at my elderly neighbours the other night at 8.45, she opened the door a fraction and because she couldn't hear what the guy wanted shut it again, he still managed to shove a card into her hand, The strange thing is no-one called at our house, I would have thought they would have disturbed the entire grove not just the selective few.
That quite frightens me, it appears that they are just visiting the vunerable and it isn't right!!
Old 17-11-2007, 21:51   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolanda25 View Post
red cross came to my house the other day when i was working, my bf answered the door and listened to all the things they guy had to say, i asked my bf what did he do, i thought he was gonna say that he told them to go away but to my surprised he told me he give them the bank details to donate £6.50 a month, right fair enough is not a lot but i think i got enough bill to pay for him to add this money a month, i need to way till they set up the direct debit and then i will cancel it, not being nasty but im not made of money.
I always donate things to charity shops so i know im always doing a bit to help.
I have a sign on my window saying no bogus callers that my friend gave me but i dont think they care much about this signs.
That's odd. The Red Cross chap who came to our door told me that he was not allowed to take bank details on the doorstep, (not that I was on the brink of offering them!).

He said to me that if I wanted to donate he would leave me some forms for me to fill in and send off.
Old 18-11-2007, 12:41   #35
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Cold calling should be illegal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
That a good one!! But I would change the last one
But I’m not a Devil worshiper.

In any case that would only invite other Devil worshipers to knock on my door.

The way to get rid of unwanted callers is a simple NO THANKS! GO AWAY! No reasons, no excuses, no nothing because it just invites them to start a discussion.
Old 19-11-2007, 07:57   #36
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
The way to get rid of unwanted callers is a simple NO THANKS! GO AWAY! No reasons, no excuses, no nothing because it just invites them to start a discussion.
And that's exactly what I do, but why should we even have the inconvenience and irritation of having to answer the door to these chancers? Also, us lot on here seem a pretty strong-willed bunch, but imagine how many vulnerable, easy-led people there are out there who might be talked or bullied into something they don't want. Ban it altogether, I say!
Old 19-11-2007, 09:41   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
And that's exactly what I do, but why should we even have the inconvenience and irritation of having to answer the door to these chancers? Also, us lot on here seem a pretty strong-willed bunch, but imagine how many vulnerable, easy-led people there are out there who might be talked or bullied into something they don't want. Ban it altogether, I say!
as one of the vunerable easy-led people,thanks for sticking up for me.
Old 19-11-2007, 09:49   #38
God Member

Quote:
My next door neighbour is a man with 'learning difficulties'. He had regular weekly visits from two jehovahs witnesses. I learned from his mother that he did not want them to come and sit reading the bible to him but he was too timid to tell them to leave him alone.

With her consent I intervened and got them to stop the visits.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 10:48   #39
Super Moderator

Good on you, Margaret. Imagine how many more vulnerable people they've latched onto, who don't have concerned neighbours ready to intervene. This is exactly the sort of situation a total ban would avoid.
Old 19-11-2007, 13:06   #40
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
as one of the vunerable easy-led people,thanks for sticking up for me.
To be quite honest, I would love to be a fly on the wall when a double glazing salesman or a Jehovah's Witness turns up on YOUR front doorstep!
Old 19-11-2007, 13:57   #41
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
That quite frightens me, it appears that they are just visiting the vunerable and it isn't right!!
I did actually email Red Cross about this and they assured me they did not choose selective houses, but they couldn't tell me why we had not had a visit.
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 14:01   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITZY View Post
I did actually email Red Cross about this and they assured me they did not choose selective houses, but they couldn't tell me why we had not had a visit.
Maybe they don't know what the callers are doing. Call me cynical but these people normally call at all the houses and when they don't I find it a bit suspect
Old 19-11-2007, 20:43   #43
Senior Member+

Wink Re: Cold calling should be illegal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
That's odd. The Red Cross chap who came to our door told me that he was not allowed to take bank details on the doorstep, (not that I was on the brink of offering them!).

He said to me that if I wanted to donate he would leave me some forms for me to fill in and send off.
Well i have a receipt in front of me from the BRITISHREDCROSS, it has my partner details and my account number so i dont know, it is legal it has all the contact details and all the information needed so i know i can cancel it anytime, it is a direct debit paper with all the information if you know what i mean
Yolanda25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:55   #44
Give, give, give member

Part of the condition of having Parkinson's Disease is a disturbed sleep pattern. Basically I'm dozey in the day, and wide awake most nights.

I eventually managed to get to sleep last night (oh, the irony) at nine o'clock this morning.

Just before ten.

'Ding-dong, ding-dong, ding-dong.'

'Hello, we'd like to offer you this personal invitation to our church.'

'Er..no thank you.'

Then I a got mad.

Telling them that because my movements are impared, especially in the morning, until the first lot of drugs kick start my brain/muscles, it makes it very difficult for me to get to the front door.

I asked them if their God would come and help look after me, if I'd have fallen down the stairs?

They didn't have much to say after that, except was I sure that I wouldn't take one of their printed invitations to salvation?

I'm still really angry.

If it was Muslims doing this, there would be uproar.

How dare someone invade my privacy, pushing their chosen lifestyle?

I think I might pop round to their homes late at night, and ask them if they've ever considered unnatural sex, and if not could I possibly leave an invitation?

I can chose to opt out of telephone cold calling, offering everything from loans to broadband. I wish there was a telephone preference number I could call to opt out of being bothered by the salvationists.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:48   #45
Resting in Peace

I Used to have a sign on my door which read, my Saffy loves Jahovahs Witnesses but he can't eat a full one

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..