Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-11-2007, 10:41   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Cold calling should be illegal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I'll answer the door without my dressing gown on next time, and ask them to come in.

That should result in a hasty exit.

Or maybe not !! Not worth the risk..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-11-2007, 10:55   #17
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I'll answer the door without my dressing gown on next time, and ask them to come in.

That should result in a hasty exit.
What would you do if they had an heart attack with the shock,?,,,,,erm i was going to say a stroke,but thats rude,,,te he,,,,
Old 17-11-2007, 13:41   #18
God Member

If they have all this faith in jesus that they feel we need to know about, surely jesus will call in person! And not when we are sleeping, .... or would we in fact be sleeping should jesus pay a visit?
derekgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 14:49   #19
Senior Member+

I got the guy last week at my door - I was in the doorway at the time...he stops with his little girl in toe...
he said to me 'whats the best news I can give you?' - I replied that he was not going to stop and keep walking...needless to say he stopped and told me that I am alive - told him to wait till I pinched myself to believe him..he went on to say that no amount of money in the world can make me happier than having life - told him I have had life for the last 34 years and its ok - I now want to try the money thing...he then said that money is just a material thing like cars and houses - so I then asked him for his car keys and house keys as he obviously wont want them and me being materialistic does want them....he went on to say that jesus had nothing and was happy - I replied that jesus had nothing because there was nothing...I then asked him did he walk here today and he said no and pointed to his car...I then asked if jesus was around to today would he have a car or would have he walked to my door? he said that he would have had a donkey... I asked where his donkey was and he walked away....
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 15:08   #20
Give, give, give member

It looks like some Scottish councils are imposing a total ban on cold calling.

Edinburgh Evening News - Cold caller ban to be extended

There should be a nationwide blanket ban.

If I want religion, dusters, new windows etc., I'll find them myself, thank you very much.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 15:19   #21
God Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again
Draw the border at Birmingham
The Scots are getting a better deal from their beaurocrats than we are from ours

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 15:30   #22
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again
Draw the border at Birmingham
The Scots are getting a better deal from their beaurocrats than we are from ours
Let's make it Staffordshire.

Then at least we don't get the awful Brummy accent.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 15:44   #23
Senior Member+

It was only the other day we had 3 people come to the door 1 from a new private dentist that was opening and wanted people to sign with them until i pointed out that its a council estate and most people who live round here will be with NHS and not able to afford to go private she went away.

Next was from the blind first he knocked on the door and then said to me "Are you over 21? i just gave him a look as i was tired and not in the mood! well you do look young he said! then he went on to say all your neighbours have signed up! (and that means what to me!) he said you just fill in the direct debit form with your bank details and we dont start taking until after xmas! (yeah ok like im stupid enough to hand out my bank details! to some guy knocking at my door) maybe i should have just give him my card and pin i just explained that i was due a new baby in december so all my money will be going there and if i wanted to donate i would find my own safe way of doing so.

Then about 1/2 an hour later knock on the door this time Mick went i could hear them say to him is your mum or dad in! ( i was laughing in the front room!) hes 28 years old surely he cant look that young! they wanted money for premature babys with the usual we would just need your bank details again they were fobbed off!
That was a nightmare of a night and we have the no cold callers sign in the window a RED one but they just dont seem able to see it or read!.
Old 17-11-2007, 19:40   #24
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Cold calling should be illegal!

On the inside of my glass fronted front door I have posted a notice that reads:

If you are selling
something - go away.
I’m not buying

My energy supplier
is none of your
business.
Push off!

If you’re a
missionary go away.
I’m not interested.

Sic ‘em Rover!

It seems to be working because I haven’t had a cold caller for most of this year.
Old 17-11-2007, 20:48   #25
Senior Member+

red cross came to my house the other day when i was working, my bf answered the door and listened to all the things they guy had to say, i asked my bf what did he do, i thought he was gonna say that he told them to go away but to my surprised he told me he give them the bank details to donate £6.50 a month, right fair enough is not a lot but i think i got enough bill to pay for him to add this money a month, i need to way till they set up the direct debit and then i will cancel it, not being nasty but im not made of money.
I always donate things to charity shops so i know im always doing a bit to help.
I have a sign on my window saying no bogus callers that my friend gave me but i dont think they care much about this signs.
Yolanda25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 20:54   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post

If you are selling
something - go away.
I’m not buying

My energy supplier
is none of your
business.
Push off!

If you’re a
missionary go away.
I’m a devil worshiper

Sic ‘em Rover!

That a good one!! But I would change the last one

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 20:59   #27
Super Moderator

Totally agree, cold calling should be made completely illegal. Irritating enough for us lot, but I would imagine intimidating and frightening for elderly/vulnerable people. I'm surprised that no politician or party has taken this up?

The mood I'm in at the moment, if any cold callers dare to show their face this weekend, they'll get their leaflets shoved where the sun don't shine!
Old 17-11-2007, 21:01   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Totally agree, cold calling should be made completely illegal. Irritating enough for us lot, but I would imagine intimidating and frightening for elderly/vulnerable people. I'm surprised that no politician or party has taken this up?

The mood I'm in at the moment, if any cold callers dare to show their face this weekend, they'll get their leaflets shoved where the sun don't shine!
Cheer up Wynonie. Jesus loves you
Old 17-11-2007, 21:05   #29
Super Moderator

I've been told that Jesus Saves, too. Do you know if he's looking for a club?
Old 17-11-2007, 21:12   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I've been told that Jesus Saves, too. Do you know if he's looking for a club?

ermmmmm I've got somebody looking over my shoulder with a red and white top on so the obvious answers about miracles are probably best avoided for my own safety

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..