Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 10:49   #46
Give, give, give member

Re: Cold calling should be illegal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I Used to have a sign on my door which read, my Saffy loves Jahovahs Witnesses but he can't eat a full one
Nice one Edina.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-03-2008, 11:11   #47
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Nice one Edina.
I was going to add that I think that's an absolutely fabulous idea, but then the doorbell rang.

(Happily no one offering me a reserved place in paradise.)

Old 01-03-2008, 11:13   #48
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
(Happily no one offering me a reserved place in paradise.)
That will due to the un natural sex you partake in
Old 01-03-2008, 11:17   #49
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
That will due to the un natural sex you partake in
Since when has celibacy been unnatural?

Just because I'm going to go out late at night, when I can't sleep, and ring the God squad's doorbells, pushing deviant sexuality down their throats, doesn't mean I partake.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:20   #50
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Since when has celibacy been unnatural?

Just because I'm going to go out late at night, when I can't sleep, and ring the God squad's doorbells, pushing deviant sexuality down their throats, doesn't mean I partake.

Sorry mate, I keep forgetting you have got old
Old 01-03-2008, 11:26   #51
Member.

I find all this ramming and what have you to be very disturbing.....

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:04   #52
God Member

I have just been waked from my midday nap.
The phantom bellringer strikes again
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...one-37059.html

My callers aren't 'cold' they're 'ethereal'

I lost the instructions but now noticed a channel setting switch - switched

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:33   #53
Resident Waffler

I can see both sides of this because I know the cold callers have a job to do and they probably don't enjoy doing it but it's a wage. I would hate it. I know our (LDS) missionaries call on people this way too but they much prefer to visit people they have been invited to visit who actually have an interest in what they have to say. I also don't like being disturbed by cold callers either though and I am tired of people telling me that their gas/electricity/phone line is better/cheaper/more environmentally friendly than everyone else's or trying to sell me double glazing when it is patently obvious that everything that possibly could be double-glazed already is double-glazed. I think it's about time cold calling was made illegal and put everyone out of their misery.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 13:06   #54
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I can see both sides of this because I know the cold callers have a job to do and they probably don't enjoy doing it but it's a wage. I would hate it. I know our (LDS) missionaries call on people this way too but they much prefer to visit people they have been invited to visit who actually have an interest in what they have to say. I also don't like being disturbed by cold callers either though and I am tired of people telling me that their gas/electricity/phone line is better/cheaper/more environmentally friendly than everyone else's or trying to sell me double glazing when it is patently obvious that everything that possibly could be double-glazed already is double-glazed. I think it's about time cold calling was made illegal and put everyone out of their misery.
I'm actually all for religious freedom. The thing is these door to door missionaries actually believe they are offering something worthwhile, and which they think is a good thing. I do not share the same belief.

If the churches who minister door to door, advertised in the local press, offering contact details for those who may be interested in knowing more, I'm sure they'd have a much higher success rate.

I do not want my peace disturbed by anyone, be they offering glazing or God. I am quite intelligent enough to seek out any information on either subject, if I so wish.

If it was made illegal to cold call, I'm sure the incidence of old people being conned by those people who knock at our doors, would be significantly reduced, because people would be much more wary if our doorbells didn't ring everytime these people decide to call unannounced.

Old 01-03-2008, 13:25   #55
Resident Waffler

Quote:
If the churches who minister door to door, advertised in the local press, offering contact details for those who may be interested in knowing more, I'm sure they'd have a much higher success rate.
I think they do do that in some countries. There are even the ads on TV. In the past we've had street meeting too. I think they all have a better success rater because the people who show an interest are actually interested and you haven't got their back up before you start by disturbing them from whatever they were doing. I don't know why they still do door to door 'tracting' except that maybe occasionally they do find someone who is interested.

Old 01-03-2008, 15:41   #56
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I think they do do that in some countries. There are even the ads on TV.
Well I bloomin' well wish they'd do it here too.

There'd be a choice then.

We could then chose if we wanted to read/watch the ads, and decide for ourselves if we needed more information on whatever was being pushed.

Choice is something I don't have, when I literally have to try and roll out of bed, and crawl down the stairs.

Old 01-03-2008, 17:32   #57
I am Banned

Quote:
I'm still really angry.
I think I might pop round to their homes late at night, and ask them if they've ever considered unnatural sex, and if not could I possibly leave an invitation?

lol oo i say would that be a personal invite - now the sheep makes sense
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 18:13   #58
Resident Waffler

I wonder why they carry on doing it when it is well known that most cold calling doesn't get any results. In fact with a lot of people it has precisely the opposite effect.

Old 01-03-2008, 18:21   #59

Quote:
I wonder why they carry on doing it when it is well known that most cold calling doesn't get any results. In fact with a lot of people it has precisely the opposite effect.
Jehovah's Witnesses do it because this is what Jesus did - explanation taken from their website

Quote:
CHRISTIANS are commanded to "make disciples of people of all the nations," but this does not mean that they are to use pressure or convert others by force. Jesus' commission was to "tell good news to the meek ones," to "bind up the brokenhearted," to "comfort all the mourning ones." (Matthew 28:19; Isaiah 61:1, 2; Luke 4:18, 19) Jehovah's Witnesses seek to do this by declaring the good news from the Bible. Like the prophet Ezekiel of old, Jehovah's Witnesses today try to find those who "are sighing and groaning over all the detestable things that are being done."—Ezekiel 9:4.

The best-known way they use to find those who are distressed by present conditions is by going from house to house. Thus they make a positive effort to reach the public, just as Jesus did when "he went journeying from city to city and from village to village, preaching and declaring the good news of the kingdom of God." His early disciples did likewise. (Luke 8:1; 9:1-6; 10:1-9) Today, where it is possible, Jehovah's Witnesses endeavor to call at each home several times a year, seeking to converse with the householder for a few minutes on some local or world topic of interest or concern. A scripture or two may be offered for consideration, and if the householder shows interest, the Witness may arrange to call back at a convenient time for further discussion. Bibles and literature explaining the Bible are made available, and if the householder desires, a home Bible study is conducted free of charge. Millions of these helpful Bible studies are conducted regularly with individuals and families throughout the world."
If you don't want them to call on you again, tell them that you want to go on their DO NOT CALL list - I'm on it, although they did get me out of bed last weekend , they soon shove off when you tell them you're on the list!
Old 01-03-2008, 19:10   #60
Give, give, give member

Well I certainly ain't one of the 'meek', and as far as I remember, from attending church every Sunday, for the first sixteen years of my life, Jesus didn't knock on any doors, whilst taking the gospel from town to town.

People left their houses if they wanted to hear him speak, just as I would, if I wanted to hear what the holy knockers of today had to say.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..