Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 19:24   #61
God Member

Re: Cold calling should be illegal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
All cold calling should be made illegal
In addition to garinda's suggestion, I think it should also be illegal in the warmer months, say May to September.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-03-2008, 22:36   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Well I certainly ain't one of the 'meek', and as far as I remember, from attending church every Sunday, for the first sixteen years of my life, Jesus didn't knock on any doors, whilst taking the gospel from town to town.

People left their houses if they wanted to hear him speak, just as I would, if I wanted to hear what the holy knockers of today had to say.

wow.......did they have doors in them days?? amazing stuff

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:59   #63
God Member

I am sure a sticker would keep the cold callers away. What an amazing idea.

blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:24   #64
God Member

Don't know what the problem is really, put a sticker up and say no thanks i'm not interested and close the door, don't even give them a chance to say 'but'. Enter into any conversation with them about their 'product' and you're inviting them aren't you.
Johovas witnesses called a couple of weeks ago, they got told sorry I can't let you into the block.
I've actually argued with Gas companies that harass the old dears, lying to them saying they've got to sign here if they want to STAY WITH their existing supplier. Horrible gits got my ex this way, she felt like she'd been robbed by a con man. It took weeks to sort out.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:48   #65
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: Cold calling should be illegal!

I don’t get cold callers these days and I put it down to the notice on the inside of my glass fronted front door as below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
If you are selling
something - go away.
I’m not buying

My energy supplier
is none of your
business.
Push off!

If you’re a
missionary go away.
I’m not interested.

Sic ‘em Rover!
However I am amazed at the attitude of most contributors to this thread. They are so self centred that just because they don’t want ‘cold callers’ knocking on their doors they are calling for it to be made illegal. Get real people! The world does not revolve around you.

You would have a different view if you happened to be a door-to-door salesman.

But then it is all me, me, me, me, me, me, me these days.

In any case anyone has the right to knock on your door and a very few even have the right to enter your home without your permission.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:11   #66
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I don’t get cold callers these days and I put it down to the notice on the inside of my glass fronted front door as below.

However I am amazed at the attitude of most contributors to this thread. They are so self centred that just because they don’t want ‘cold callers’ knocking on their doors they are calling for it to be made illegal. Get real people! The world does not revolve around you.

You would have a different view if you happened to be a door-to-door salesman.

But then it is all me, me, me, me, me, me, me these days.

In any case anyone has the right to knock on your door and a very few even have the right to enter your home without your permission.
Although I was angry yesterday, after being woken from a two hour sleep, my first in forty eight hours, and it was physically hard to answer the door, I'm quite compos mentis enough to tell me I'm not interested in anything they are trying to flog, sadly a lot of elderly people are not.

I don't think it's selfish for cold calling to be made illegal, They would still be welcome to post information through the letterbox, and offer contact details, if people are intersted in knowing more.

We have the option of opting out of telephone cold calling, with the telephone preference service, we should have the same right to opt out with door to dood hawkers.

My grandmother was robbed of hundreds of pounds by someone who claimed he was offering to clean her guttering. Sadly her's is not the only case I know of, of people being taken advantage of, besides the numerous cases of criminals using the pretence of being a door to door salesman to enter, and rob the homes, of the vunerable.

I'd hate to think of anyone taking advantage of you Jambutty, once your faculties start to fade.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:25   #67
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

[QUOTE=jambutty;

[FONT=Times New Roman]However I am amazed at the attitude of most contributors to this thread. They are so self centred that just because they don’t want ‘cold callers’ knocking on their doors they are calling for it to be made illegal. Get real people! The world does not revolve around you.[/FONT]

But then it is all me, me, me, me, me, me, me these days. -------------------------------- sorry but when a person is at home either relaxing,or busy doing, it SHOULD be me,me,me, its their home n their privacy.

Last edited by cashman; 02-03-2008 at 11:28.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 13:23   #68
Give, give, give member

Quote:

However I am amazed at the attitude of most contributors to this thread. They are so self centred

As self centred as someonewho parks in a designated disabled parking space, whilst his able bodied passenger does the shopping, and thus preventing a disabled driver from perhaps doing their shopping independently?

It isn't about being selfish, it's about protecting the vunerable.

Old 02-03-2008, 16:07   #69
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Cold calling should be illegal!

Quote:
Although I was angry yesterday, after being woken from a two hour sleep, my first in forty eight hours, and it was physically hard to answer the door, I'm quite compos mentis enough to tell me I'm not interested in anything they are trying to flog, sadly a lot of elderly people are not.

I don't think it's selfish for cold calling to be made illegal, They would still be welcome to post information through the letterbox, and offer contact details, if people are intersted in knowing more.

We have the option of opting out of telephone cold calling, with the telephone preference service, we should have the same right to opt out with door to dood hawkers.

My grandmother was robbed of hundreds of pounds by someone who claimed he was offering to clean her guttering. Sadly her's is not the only case I know of, of people being taken advantage of, besides the numerous cases of criminals using the pretence of being a door to door salesman to enter, and rob the homes, of the vunerable.

I'd hate to think of anyone taking advantage of you Jambutty, once your faculties start to fade.
A stranger knocking on your door is hardly likely to know about your physical situation or that fact that you were sleep deprived. He was only doing his/her job. Would it have been any different if the caller happened to be a copper making door-to-door enquiries or the gasman come to read your gas meter – if you have one? No of course not. Yet both are cold callers.

Some people do post flyers etc. through the letterbox – we call it junk mail and people moan about that and think that it ought not be allowed.

Like reporting spam email, using the preference service to bar calls from known callers is a waste of time. They have to call you first before you know who they are and what the number is and in any case most are ‘withheld numbers’. You can get rid of most cold calls by being blatantly rude to the caller and even abusive. The message gets through eventually. All I seem to get these days is those automatic calls where it is a machine that calls with a pre-recorded message.

You should join reality. The world will not pander to your whims and will carry on regardless. You have to fit in with the world. Put a notice on your door. Keep your phone within arm’s reach at all times. My phone is by my left hand when I’m sat here at the keyboard. When I settle down to watch TV it is on a chair next to me. If it wakes me when I am in bed asleep I get up, not to answer the phone but to go to the toilet. If it is still ringing by the time that I get back I will answer it, otherwise I dial 1471 to see who it was.

We only hear of the cases where an older person is taken advantage of. It is sad when it happens but we never hear of the hundreds of thousands of cases where the OAP has not been taken advantage of. When was the last time that you saw the news item “An 85 years old woman opened her door and was not mugged by the caller.”?

To paraphrase JF Kennedy – don’t expect the world to do something for you, you do something to protect yourself.

My door is locked at dusk and if someone calls I put the chain on as I look to see who it is. In fact even during the day I will put the chain on before answering the knock at the door until I know who is there and what they want.
Old 02-03-2008, 16:16   #70
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
As self centred as someonewho parks in a designated disabled parking space, whilst his able bodied passenger does the shopping, and thus preventing a disabled driver from perhaps doing their shopping independently?

It isn't about being selfish, it's about protecting the vunerable.
There is nothing quite like having a sneaky dig is there.

When the able bodied people stop ‘borrowing’ a blue badge so that they can save themselves a short walk stop doing so or just parking in disabled bays just to nip to the ATM, I will conform to the Blue Badge rules. In any case you took it out of context just to try and look clever and have a dig at me.
Old 02-03-2008, 16:40   #71
God Member

You probably know full well jb, but your doing it again, evrybody is selfish for wanting their privacy, but you posted that you have a notice on your door telling cold callers to go away, you likely have telephone preference on your phone, and I'm sure you will have a spam blocker! so me, me, me, selfish people includes yourself this time does it? I also agree with everybody else, using a disabled bay to allow somebody else to do your shopping is very selfish, oh, but that is for you, you, you, eh?
Old 02-03-2008, 16:40   #72
Give, give, give member

Quote:
There is nothing quite like having a sneaky dig is there.
My movement might be impeded, but there is nothing wrong with my memory.

It just struck me as somewhat ironic, the 'self centred' comment, especially as you recently informed us of your stuburness about parking in a designated disabled parking space, when you weren't exiting the vehicle yourself.

That smacks much more of 'me, me, me', than anything I've moaned about in this thread. But hey, it's my thread, and if I want to moan I will.

As for abusing people verbally, either on the phone or at the door, that really isn't my style. I'd just rather they stopped trying to interest me in their God.

Old 02-03-2008, 18:17   #73
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
You probably know full well jb, but your doing it again, evrybody is selfish for wanting their privacy, but you posted that you have a notice on your door telling cold callers to go away, you likely have telephone preference on your phone, and I'm sure you will have a spam blocker! so me, me, me, selfish people includes yourself this time does it? I also agree with everybody else, using a disabled bay to allow somebody else to do your shopping is very selfish, oh, but that is for you, you, you, eh?
Here’s someone else living in a dream world and replying to a non-existent person. Who is this jb person?

But using my limited deductive powers I guess that you are aiming your rant at me.

There is nothing selfish about informing a potential cold caller that I am not interested in buying anything, or changing energy supplier or being converted to a religious faith. Indeed it is the reverse. My notice, if the caller cares to read it and they could hardly miss it, tells the caller that they are wasting their time waiting around for me to answer the knock. And you call that selfish?

Get real!

And your supposition that I have telephone preference on my phone is way off the mark. I can handle nuisance calls myself.

You think that having a spam blocker is selfish? What planet are you on?

As for the last sentence read my response to garinda.
Old 02-03-2008, 18:19   #74
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
My movement might be impeded, but there is nothing wrong with my memory.

It just struck me as somewhat ironic, the 'self centred' comment, especially as you recently informed us of your stuburness about parking in a designated disabled parking space, when you weren't exiting the vehicle yourself.

That smacks much more of 'me, me, me', than anything I've moaned about in this thread. But hey, it's my thread, and if I want to moan I will.

As for abusing people verbally, either on the phone or at the door, that really isn't my style. I'd just rather they stopped trying to interest me in their God.
You missed out a word. You forgot to include ‘selective’ before memory.

I qualified my comment about parking in a disabled bay but did not exit the vehicle by pointing out that I didn’t feel up to being able to walk round Asda once I got there. Some twerp even suggested that I should have re-parked.

The same happened ten days ago. I took my son with me, primarily because I would need someone to unload my car when I got back home, as I knew that there would be at least half a dozen bags. Using a walking stick as I am forced to do these days it would have meant many trips back and forth from my parked car to my kitchen. I am currently suffering with a severe attack of sciatica in the left leg – fortunately. My left kidney took it upon itself to have its fairly regular moan so even with pain killers walking becomes an interesting exercise.

I said fortunately because I drive an automatic car, meaning that my left leg is redundant as far as driving is concerned. So once I get settled in my seat and the pain subsided to an ignorable level I’m OK. But getting out and staggering around Asda was not an option although I had hoped to get round myself. I hate people doing the shopping for me because I might spot something that I had forgotten to put on the list or something that I fancied trying. All their disabled buggies were being used. So my son, armed with my shopping list and enough cash, did my shopping for me.

But hey! Why let reality, tainted by a selective memory, spoil the opportunity of having a sneaky dig? It’s par for the garinda course. If you can’t come up with a meaningful point, attack the other person.
Old 02-03-2008, 20:23   #75
God Member

jb, or jambutty if you prefer your full title, though I note you made no reference to my name, except for quoting me, if wanting cold calling made illegal is selfish, and salesmen have a right to knock, then why is having a sign telling them not to bother any different, the result is similar? Spam content often have intent to sell something, so a spam blocker is stopping the seller from advertising (whilst invading your time and space), if stopping cold calling is selfish, is the spam blocker not also? And with regard to your utterly selfish shopping/parking habits, as usual, anyone else doing wrong (possibly stopping you from parking) is out of order, so why then is your taking a space when not necessary not just as bad? two wrongs don't make a right! It seems to me that you, rather than I are living in a dream world, you are a pedantic old fool with nothing better to do than argue senslessly against people who are usually nearer to right than you are, I have yet to see you admit you are wrong, even when everybody else but you, thinks that you are indeed, wrong! Now to use your own words, GET REAL! Sorry for the rant and the wander garinda, but I cannot understand this fellow at all!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..