Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-04-2011, 17:50   #166
Give, give, give member

Re: Frogs ban Burka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
...even the most sainted of us have a point at which we will react to a perceived sleight, snide comment or slur.
By Jesus.

You are a sensitive soul.

Good job you aren't gay.

If you took notice of all the world's religions' 'sleights and slurs', you'd never leave your house.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-04-2011, 17:54   #167
Give, give, give member

I don't care if it does offend anyone.

I've firmly come to the conclusion that anyone who needs a religion, to act as their crutch in life, are sadly lacking in self-confidence, and intellect.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 18:06   #168
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Go to a secular country like Turkey, which has a Muslim majority population. You'll see many Muslim women and men bathing together on that country's beaches, some even wearing bikinis.

No need Rindy ! There's a fairly large Turkish population here in Germany & you see attitudes that encompass the whole spectrum, good & bad, the thing is I can to some point empathise with these migrants as I myself am also a migrant to this Country (although I don't face the same prejudices due to being a white European, I easily blend in).

They also tend to have their own areas in most of the major Cities (but not exclusively) similar to UK & like those in the UK some partake of & embrace the Culture of their adopted home while others don't, that said though, they are not as obnoxious & vociferous as some of their Counterparts in the UK tend to be, they very seldom take to the streets demanding (in my view) as most are aware of their somewhat tenuous right to remain should they become a nuisance to their hosts, this respect (or fear if you will) is somewhat lacking within the UK.

So in general the German Turks (Muslims) aren't a bad bunch & the majority I've interacted with during my time here have been reasonable people, some are 3rd/4th generation & see themselves more as, Germans with Turkish roots, easy to get along with (there has been the occasional arse admittedly) quietly going about their lives without the need to ram Islam in the face of their hosts.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 18:07   #169
Resting in Peace

Re: Frogs ban Burqa

Quote:
I don't care if it does offend anyone.

I've firmly come to the conclusion that anyone who needs a religion, to act as their crutch in life, are sadly lacking in self-confidence, and intellect.
Can't fault that G. I'm an RC but I can't ever think that I've used the fact as crutch, otherwise I'd have been a babbling fool for the last 30 years. Can't think that if I'd have gone to Church every day and prayed that my health problems would have been any different, can't remember prayer ever saving anybody or healing them, no matter what people say, it don't happen
Old 14-04-2011, 18:18   #170
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
You only have to look at Ireland for an example.
Been there ! Seen it ! Done it ! Got the T-shirt, again everyone threw rocks & petrol bombs at us, don't recall anyone asking my choice of crutch first though ! The fact I was wearing a fetching little DPM number was enough, I don't know religious fashion critics ! Who needs 'em ?

Quote:
By Jesus.

You are a sensitive soul.
For those who require it, yes. But as to the whinging & wanting, I'm owed a living crowd, do one !

Oy ! look what you've made me do now you Rindy, Clouds & daffodils come to mind.

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 14-04-2011 at 18:22.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 19:15   #171
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
he openly admits he was a muslim and i find it hard to believe he abondoned his faith for any other reason than that he would never get elected as president as a muslim.Just because he switched to christianity dosnt mean his heart is in it .People switch faiths all the time to get what they want wether it be switching to catholism to get married in a church they want or switching faith to gain votes they wouldnt otherwise get.
Certainly plenty of websites claiming he is a muslim (although a large number of them seem to be right wing nut jobs and other conspiracy theorists) but there's also plenty that say that he isn't

BBC News - Growing number in America believe Obama a Muslim -poll

If he'd gone to all the trouble to switch to Christianity just to get elected, why would he then blow it all by openly admitting that he was a muslim? After all, I'm sure he's going to run for office again at the next election, so he'd surely want to keep it covered up? What's more, if he had admitted to being a muslim, I'm sure it would have caused much more of a furore in the world's media.

I remain unconvinced!
Old 14-04-2011, 19:30   #172
Senior Member+

good posts garinda... you say it better than i do
Old 14-04-2011, 20:18   #173
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'd have been a babbling fool for the last 30 years.
Tempting, isn't it?
Old 15-04-2011, 09:05   #174
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Tempting, isn't it?
Ya thought I was dicing with death when cashy Less Beni mick and yourself are knocking about, but their again I just thought to myself it takes one to know one Wyn
Old 15-04-2011, 16:03   #175
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Certainly plenty of websites claiming he is a muslim (although a large number of them seem to be right wing nut jobs and other conspiracy theorists) but there's also plenty that say that he isn't

BBC News - Growing number in America believe Obama a Muslim -poll

If he'd gone to all the trouble to switch to Christianity just to get elected, why would he then blow it all by openly admitting that he was a muslim? After all, I'm sure he's going to run for office again at the next election, so he'd surely want to keep it covered up? What's more, if he had admitted to being a muslim, I'm sure it would have caused much more of a furore in the world's media.

I remain unconvinced!
We are talking Americans here. You know, folks who believe that the National Enquirer is a newspaper If you have the stomach for it, a brief tour of some of the "Aryan" websites reveal the beliefs of millions of Americans. "Obama a Robot Created by Space Aliens" (They are always "Space Aliens" to distinguish them from wet backs), would be a headline that the nutbar element in the US would give instant credence to. The wierdos tend to be more numerous south of the Mason-Dixon line and in the wilds of places like Montana; however, they can be found everywhere. For example, most Republican congressmen in DC ...... I'm sure you get the idea.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 19:14   #176
God Member

And now we have a burka ban in Canada .... although it seems reasonable to insist that muslim women must show their faces when they take the oath of Canadian citizenship, muslims don't like it (like I give a rat's ass). As Immigration Minister Jason Kenney puts it: "If Muslim women feel uncomfortable about taking off their niqabs to swear allegiance to Canada, then maybe they picked the wrong country to call home." Way to go Jason
Old 13-12-2011, 19:27   #177
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
And now we have a burka ban in Canada .... although it seems reasonable to insist that muslim women must show their faces when they take the oath of Canadian citizenship, muslims don't like it (like I give a rat's ass). As Immigration Minister Jason Kenney puts it: "If Muslim women feel uncomfortable about taking off their niqabs to swear allegiance to Canada, then maybe they picked the wrong country to call home." Way to go Jason
Rock 'n' Roll, Eric - that's the way to go!

I see you boys have also just pulled out of this global warming/Kyoto nonsense! Congratulations - please let me know where I can get my kanuk passport from and if we can get it expedited quick I'll be over there shortly with a couple of crates of Thwaites Bomber for me and thee.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 19:30   #178
Beacon of light

I think the stance of the Australians is very similar.
No-one forces these people to move to countries where the Niqab is not favoured.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 20:07   #179
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Rock 'n' Roll, Eric - that's the way to go!

I see you boys have also just pulled out of this global warming/Kyoto nonsense! Congratulations - please let me know where I can get my kanuk passport from and if we can get it expedited quick I'll be over there shortly with a couple of crates of Thwaites Bomber for me and thee.
Yup ... Kyoto is a dead issue here ... Lot's of folks in the world are upset; but Canada's point is that without the world's two major polluters, USA and China, on board, it's a waste of time. Especially as we produce only 2% of the world's greenhouse gasses. Also, we have the world's third largest reserves of oil (and growing all the time), and our government is looking at the ecomomic impact of scaling down our oil production. I think that the rest of the world is going to have to used to a new, pushier, less warm and fuzzy Canada.

And I'll supply some good Canadian rye to go with the bomber
Old 13-12-2011, 20:17   #180
God Member

Yep...bang on Eric. I see the fine - should the Canadian government have paid it - would have been a one off £8bn; meanwhile, here in the UK, we're forking out £30bn every year in order to comply with Kyoto and a set of associated dodgy EU rules. That's everything from extra money on the gas and electric bills, through to building windmills (which don't work when it's cold and catch fire and collapse when it's windy) through to carbon emission trading schemes and the like...totally crazy. Still, some buggars are making money out of the scam...but not us.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..