Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 15:10   #1
God Member

funny how democracey works for some and not others

the falklands are to be given a referendum on if they wish to remain under UK ownership

this is what william hague had to say

Quote:
UK Foreign Secretary William Hague said: "The British Government has been consistent in its view that the future of the Falklands can only be determined by the people who live there.
"So the Prime Minister and I support this initiative to demonstrate - without doubt - the definitive view of the Falkland Islands people

In a region that rightly prizes democracy and human rights, it is entirely appropriate that the Islanders can express this fundamental right. The principle of self-determination is a key part of the United Nations charter.
so then why do they get a referendum yet we dont on the EU ?

maybe its because they know damn well the flaklanders will vote to stay under the UK and they know damn well we would vote to get out the EU .Only get a choice if the expected result is what they want .

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-06-2012, 15:20   #2
Super Moderator

Re: funny how democracey works for some and not others

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
maybe its because they know damn well the flaklanders will vote to stay under the UK and they know damn well we would vote to get out the EU .Only get a choice if the expected result is what they want .
Nail - head - hit.
Old 12-06-2012, 16:42   #3
God Member

although it is the flaklands government that are allowing the referendum im pretty sure it wouldnt slide if cameron thought the result would be different and the comments made by hague just show how they like to encourage democracey as long as its not here.How he has the gaul to say people have teh right to a referendum in a democracey then deny us one is just barefaced cheeck.It shouldnt even be a matter of voting if we should have one we should have a referendum period not just because a handfull of crooks say we may or not be allowed one.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 16:58   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Seem to recall Gib getting one a few years ago, Same thing........They knew how it would fall,
Old 12-06-2012, 17:58   #5
Resting in Peace

Asking the Falkland to vote to be Argentinian is like asking Turkeys to vote for Christmas, they may be thousands of miles away but they know which side their breads buttered on
Old 12-06-2012, 18:34   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Asking the Falkland to vote to be Argentinian is like asking Turkeys to vote for Christmas, they may be thousands of miles away but they know which side their breads buttered on
Spot on, but to me the whole point of this thread,is the fact various British Governments were quite happy fer Gib to vote to remain british, The Falklands to vote to remain british, Yet the British Public "NOT" to vote to remain british n sod the eurozone, Democracy here can kiss my ass.
Old 12-06-2012, 18:39   #7
Resting in Peace

Re: funny how democracy works for some and not others

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Spot on, but to me the whole point of this thread,is the fact various British Governments were quite happy fer Gib to vote to remain british, The Falklands to vote to remain british, Yet the British Public "NOT" to vote to remain british n sod the eurozone, Democracy here can kiss my ass.
Spot on cashy, it absolutely stinks, but Call Me Dave knows the outcome of both a referendum in the falklands and GB, he'll love one but not the other
Old 12-06-2012, 19:01   #8
God Member

Quote:
I bet if the choice for the Falklanders was between joining the Argies or joining the EU they would vote to be be the next province of Argentina.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 07:24   #9
Give, give, give member

I think the disdain politicans have for the people who elect them, was best summed up by this quote from Winston Churchill.

'The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.'

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 08:43   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I bet if the choice for the Falklanders was between joining the Argies or joining the EU they would vote to be be the next province of Argentina.
I'm not too sure on the one Mr T don't think I'd like to be governed by the Argies, they cheat at football
Old 13-06-2012, 09:03   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm not too sure on the one Mr T don't think I'd like to be governed by the Argies, they cheat at football
The EU cheats at everything. That's why their own auditors have refused to sign their accounts off for, how many years is it now?...15?
Old 13-06-2012, 09:06   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
The EU cheats at everything. That's why their own auditors have refused to sign their accounts off for, how many years is it now?...15?
Wasn't aware they had auditors Wyn
Old 13-06-2012, 09:17   #13
Super Moderator

Sorry, got it wrong, it's actually the 16th year...

EU accounts not signed off? for the 16th consecutive year Civitas
Old 13-06-2012, 11:46   #14
Beacon of light

Well, I was just about to post that when you put the link up........it is preposterous that another year has gone by and still the budgets are not right........is this not reason enough to withdraw from this great money swallowing, politically corrupt organisation?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 13:32   #15
God Member

If folks over there are really concerned about membership in the EU ... and I have read somewhere that 95% don't give a flying you-know-what about it ... why not turn the next general election into a vote on EU membership? Let the candidates know that your vote will go only to a party that supports getting out of europe.

Just heard on the news that here in God's country, a grass roots movement has started to unite the left ... this isn't commie stuff: left seems to be defined as a desire to get rid of the tories. Even conservatives are joining. This would mean that in many ridings, Liberals, the NDP, and the Greens would support a single candidate against a tory incumbent. The tories are not listening to the people ... and this is the response that many seem to think will work. People are beginning to realize that the best way to effect change in Ottawa is to vote anyone-but-a-tory. This, like a referendum on EU membership, is a single-issue vote. But for Britain, membership in the EU ... think of being in the EU as having a cabin on Titanic ... is possibly the most important question of all. I don't know how you guys see it from the inside, but from this side of the pond, it looks like the EU as we know it is finished ... done. And I'm sure you are aware that many politicians ... particularly the Huns, go figure, eh ... are considering that a true political union is the only way out of the mess. Get ready for the Fourth Reich ... oh, and the earthquakes as the "millions of the mouthless dead" start spinning in their graves.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..