Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-06-2012, 13:49   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: funny how democracey works for some and not others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
If folks over there are really concerned about membership in the EU ... and I have read somewhere that 95% don't give a flying you-know-what about it ... why not turn the next general election into a vote on EU membership? Let the candidates know that your vote will go only to a party that supports getting out of europe.
Exactly what meself n one or two others on here have been saying Eric, The problem as always oer here is the die-hard thickos of all parties, so much as i would love that to ensue, doubt very much if it will.
Old 13-06-2012, 13:55   #17
Beacon of light

It was reported that 8 out of 10 people in the UK want a referendum on membership of the EU....and they don't want a woolly worded referendum...they want the simple question....IN or OUT......I wonder if our local MP still thinks that 95% of the population couldn't give a toss about being in the EU.

As for the EU being finished.......I think only the Germans want the EU to survive in its present form, because this gives them dominance....something that two world wars failed to give them.
If Greece leaves the EU, (as some pundits predict) then what is to stop Italy, Spain, Portugal and Ireland from following suit?......going back to their old currency...devaluing it, and making their goods and services much more attractive.......and helping them to get a foot on the road to recovery.
Who wants to have more fiscal union/political union with Germany?
Who wants to ditch their sovereignty to be (in effect) ruled by Germany?

I think many countries are fiercely nationalistic and do not want to hand over power the the Germans.
Or have I got it completely wrong? I'm sure there are people out there who will be happy to educate me.

They say that getting out of all the agreements will not be easy...but what Parliament has done...surely it has the power to undo....and just because something is not easy - is that the rationale to avoid doing it?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 14:36   #18

I totally agree with everything that has been said on this subject. I like Erics idea of asking each candidate at the next election whether or not they support our membership, and vote for or against that candidate depending on their reply, whether they are Con. lab or lib.But being politicians would they tell us the truth?
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 14:56   #19
Beacon of light

Jim...in a word NO. They say anything to get elected and then whatever they said goes by the baord.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 14:59   #20
God Member

Quote:
If folks over there are really concerned about membership in the EU ... and I have read somewhere that 95% don't give a flying you-know-what about it ... why not turn the next general election into a vote on EU membership? Let the candidates know that your vote will go only to a party that supports getting out of europe.

it wont work just look what happened when we gave our vote to a MP that said he would support a referendum.Within weeks of him been elected he stabbed us all in the back which is pretty much how i imagine most of the MP's would act its not as though any of them keep their word

well there is an exception cameron did prommise hard times and he has delivered in spades on that but only for us not the countries he constantly ships millions too or his rich friends

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 17:10   #21
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I
why not turn the next general election into a vote on EU membership? Let the candidates know that your vote will go only to a party that supports getting out of europe.
That'd exactly what I'm doing.

Before M.P.s voted in November, whether we should be allowed a referendum on E.U. membership, I made it very clear to our current M.P. that I will never again vote for a politican, or political party, that doesn't actively support a referendum on this issue.

I won't.

Ever.

I also made it perfectly clear that I will actively campaign against any politican, or party who don't support a referendum.

Which I will/am doing.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 17:23   #22
Give, give, give member

Traditionally this area has always been a fairly secure Labour stronghold.

Indeed, in the past this forum was often accused of having a left-wing bias.

Well it's the same people still living here, and the same people still posting here.

So if our local Labour politicans have their heads so far up their party puppet masters' arses, that they can't see that there are many people who think this is a very important issue, more fool them.

Old 13-06-2012, 17:59   #23
Resting in Peace

Re: funny how democracy works for some and not others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Well, I was just about to post that when you put the link up........it is preposterous that another year has gone by and still the budgets are not right........is this not reason enough to withdraw from this great money swallowing, politically corrupt organisation?
Ya I think we need a referendum on the issueSure I've heard that one somewhere before
Old 13-06-2012, 18:03   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Procter View Post
I totally agree with everything that has been said on this subject. I like Eric's idea of asking each candidate at the next election whether or not they support our membership, and vote for or against that candidate depending on their reply, whether they are Con. lab or lib.But being politicians would they tell us the truth?
Well Jim when they're after your vote they will say anything you want to hear, its doing it if you elect them, but when elected if its a case of putting your own political career before those who elected you which has been ably displayed already by our elected one
Old 13-06-2012, 19:29   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well Jim when they're after your vote they will say anything you want to hear, its doing it if you elect them, but when elected if its a case of putting your own political career before those who elected you which has been ably displayed already by our elected one
Here Here
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 21:04   #26

No doubt if there was a referendum on leaving the EU people would vote Yes.

If there was a vote on bringing back hanging there would probably be a Yes vote.

If there was a vote to cut taxes there would probably be a Yes vote.

All the things above would be popular. But Governments aren't elected to be popular but to do the right thing. And staying in the EU is the right thing.
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 21:15   #27
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy View Post
And staying in the EU is the right thing.
...and because YOU'VE decided it's the right thing, that's it, no one else is allowed a say in it. Arrogant to say the least!
Old 13-06-2012, 21:18   #28
God Member

Quote:

If there was a vote on bringing back hanging there would probably be a Yes vote.

All the things above would be popular. But Governments aren't elected to be popular but to do the right thing. And staying in the EU is the right thing.
Of course governments are elected to be popular ... "popular" in the sense that they were elected by a majority, or plurality of the popular vote. We all know that, in a democracy, the power resides in the people. They delegate this power and authority to their elected representatives. These reps have no power other than that given to them by the people. If they act independently and counter to the wishes of the voters, then they no longer should have their trust. They deserve to be punished at the polls. And they should face massive peaceful protests. This, of course, is the ideal The reality is that, once elected, governments feel as if they can ride roughshod over the wishes of the people. This happens because too many people think like you.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 22:14   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Oh what a clever argument.

When it's decided we are allowed a say, whether we want E.U. membership, or not, via a referendum, I'll now vote we stay in.

The point is, Mr. Suck a Fisherman's European Friend, the British people have never been asked, or voted whether they wanted to be part of some Franco-Germanic controlled federal European state.

We deserve that right.

I've already said many, many times, if the majority of people vote to stay in the E.U., I'll have no beef with that, and will totally accept the outcome of a process, that arrived at a decision democratically.

The argument is about people having the right to decide their destiny, in a referendum, because what the European Union is, is very far removed from the Common Market we joined.

The pros and cons, of staying in, or leaving, will happen once we are given the right to vote in a referendum.

It really is that simple.

Hopefully even you will be able to see that.

Old 13-06-2012, 22:22   #30
Give, give, give member

Quote:
This happens because too many people think like you.
Yes, sheep.

Happily there's usually someone close at hand to worry the silly little flockers.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..