Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2011, 20:40   #61
God Member

Re: Greece Bailout

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
UK rally hampered by low trade with Europe | Business

Italy debt crisis: Compared to this, Greece was just a sideshow | Mail Online

The situations worsens daily.

Britain continues to suffer, and continues to pays handsomely for the privilege of suffering.

Hey, what about us poor Canadians? If Eurp and the yanks can't get their shlt together, our economy may start to slow down
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-11-2011, 20:51   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Hey, what about us poor Canadians? If Eurp and the yanks can't get their shlt together, our economy may start to slow down
Heard through family today that things are starting to hit in NZ too so I imagine Canada will feel it one way or the other Eric, seems inevitable.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 21:05   #63
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Heard through family today that things are starting to hit in NZ too so I imagine Canada will feel it one way or the other Eric, seems inevitable.
But we will be so busy trying to keep warm that we won't notice it
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 21:20   #64
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Check out Professor Mario Monti - Economist, Rector of the Bocconi Uni. of Milan, convinced of the validity of the Eurozone.

Not an elected member of the Italian parliament but made a Life Senator yesterday in a manoeuvre by President Napolitano which sees him as a likely successor to Berlusconi as PM when he steps down.

Berlusconi was noticeable by his absence today -apparently his doctors have ordered him to rest for health reasons.
Yes, well the fact that this man is convinced of the validity of the Eurozone will make him a favourite puppet for Merkel and Sarkozy to manipulate...and therefore welcomed with open arms.
How can anyone be convinced of the validity of the Eurozone after the schmozzle that has gone on over the last few months?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:15   #65
Resting in Peace

I had to smile this morning the BBC had Alistair Darling on Breakfast TV giving his opinion about the euro zone crisis, that's a bit like asking Dracula what he thinks about the blood transfusion service
Old 12-11-2011, 11:08   #66
God Member

This is a listing of the Greek austerity measures which are in the process of being introduced:

Greece: List of new austerity measures

I am completely baffled as to why the word 'austerity' is being used. If these policies were to be implemented in the UK economy, most people would think Christmas has come early.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:10   #67
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes, well the fact that this man is convinced of the validity of the Eurozone will make him a favourite puppet for Merkel and Sarkozy to manipulate...and therefore welcomed with open arms.
How can anyone be convinced of the validity of the Eurozone after the schmozzle that has gone on over the last few months?
Think that's why he's been shuffled in so quickly -he's going to have lunch with Berlusconi tomorrow so maybe Silvio will be out on his ear quicker than expected....

VAT has just been put up to 21% here -that should help get the economy moving and boost sales just before Xmas

Love the word Schmozzle Margaret -it's a new one to me, but sounds very apt!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 16:11   #68
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
This is a listing of the Greek austerity measures which are in the process of being introduced:

Greece: List of new austerity measures

I am completely baffled as to why the word 'austerity' is being used. If these policies were to be implemented in the UK economy, most people would think Christmas has come early.
Poor beggars.

Fancy being forced to work until you're 65 to qualify for a pension.

No wonder they're trying to oppose these measures.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 18:13   #69
Senior Member+

The problem for the Germans is the Mediterranean nations devalue the Deutchmark.

The problems for the Greeks as I said to Bone and Nuttall, if your a Greek with a €100k and someone whispers Drachma, you shift your Euros to a bank outside of Greece. The question is if everyone thinks the same, what happens to the Drachma and the Greek economy, Greek banks? Can any of them survive? Will the position not be cataclysmic compared to where they are now? A run on the Drachma that would resemble a run on the Zimbadwean currency?
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 19:36   #70
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
The problem for the Germans is the Mediterranean nations devalue the Deutchmark.

The problems for the Greeks as I said to Bone and Nuttall, if your a Greek with a €100k and someone whispers Drachma, you shift your Euros to a bank outside of Greece. The question is if everyone thinks the same, what happens to the Drachma and the Greek economy, Greek banks? Can any of them survive? Will the position not be cataclysmic compared to where they are now? A run on the Drachma that would resemble a run on the Zimbadwean currency?
Deutschmark?

Drachma?

What about the guilder, florin, and groat?

How are they affected by the financial meltdown, we're seeing on mainland Europe?

Old 12-11-2011, 19:52   #71
Beacon of light

It is all academic really. So much money has been put into saving (or trying to save) the Eurozone when it all looks doomed to fail.
This situation has been dragging on and on, with, it seems no real decisive action. No leadership. Europe has dragged the global economy to the brink. Lost organisations billions of pounds....and for what? So that something that only France and Germany seem to truly want, can remain in place.
If the people of these struggling economies were to be consulted,many of them would happily go back to their own currencies, devalue them and possibly leave the EU.
The EU is crumbling before our eyes, the common people can see it, but the politicians cannot. Isn't it time these politicians took a reality check?
Old 12-11-2011, 20:03   #72
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post

I'm not being unnecessarily picky, honest, but I've read this at least five times, and can't make neither head nor tail of it.

It's one of the most bizarre posts ever made, in the history of Accy Web.

What does it mean?

More detail might help, re: Bone, and Nuttall, for those not in such exalted positions of political power, who probably haven't a clue who you're referring to.

Folks round here are more likely to work in packing, than in palaces.

What might make perfect sense in the Palace of Westminster, doesn't up here.

I'm guessing to most of your constituents, certainly to me, it's about as clear as mud.

Old 12-11-2011, 20:05   #73
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I'm not being unnecessarily picky, honest, but I've read this at least five times, and can't make neither head nor tail of it.

It's one of the most bizarre posts ever made, in the history of Accy Web.

What does it mean?

More detail might help, re: Bone, and Nuttall, for those not in such exalted positions of political power, who probably haven't a clue who you're referring to.

Folks round here are more likely to work in packing, than in palaces.

What might make perfect sense in the Palace of Westminster, doesn't up here.

I'm guessing to most of your constituents, certainly to me, it's about as clear as mud.

And there I was thinking I was thick.
Thanks G....it makes little sense to me either.....I just thought I was having a grey moment.
Old 12-11-2011, 20:13   #74
Give, give, give member

Besides, most of us here aren't really interested in debating what might happen if Greece are thrown out of the Euro zone, and the effect this might have on the German economy.

We might have given a toss, if we felt what we think actually mattered.

We now know it doesn't.

That, at least, you made perfectly clear.

When you voted against us, your constituents, being allowed the democratic right to have our say in an E.U. referendum.

Old 12-11-2011, 20:19   #75
God Member

As an ex civil servant I am used to waffle talk more than most.
He uses obscure language to warn of the collapse of greek banks.
The poor sods who have savings will lose them.

I've never heard of Bone and Nuttall, but will do a name drop of my own - Gerald Celente.

The collapse of ALL banks is imminent.
If you have savings, spend most of it on what you long for most.
If this doesn't leave enough left for the undertaker, so what ! - nobody gets left on top.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..