Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2011, 13:24   #121
God Member

Re: Greece Bailout

For lovers of all things French - watch this classic bit of Blackadder...some brilliant lines!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-11-2011, 13:46   #122
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
There's enough local anger to certainly significantly split the vote, enjoyed by the main parties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
a big UKIP vote would split the vote for the other parties and would hopefully make them realise that they've got to start taking OUR views into account.
You'd like to think so wouldn't you ? But as has been proven time & time again an undesirable element raises it's head (BNP specifically) & they're (the Politicos) all hand wringing & questions, how can this happen ? Why are people voting for these abhorent extemists ? Simply because the arris 'oles won't listen to the public. So they promise change & that they'll listen & as soon as it all cools down they're back to their self serving & egomaniacal ways, more empty rhetoric & us abandoned & left with frustration & fallout.
Old 13-11-2011, 14:14   #123
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
You'd like to think so wouldn't you ? But as has been proven time & time again an undesirable element raises it's head (BNP specifically) & they're (the Politicos) all hand wringing & questions, how can this happen ? Why are people voting for these abhorent extemists ? Simply because the arris 'oles won't listen to the public. So they promise change & that they'll listen & as soon as it all cools down they're back to their self serving & egomaniacal ways, more empty rhetoric & us abandoned & left with frustration & fallout.
Just as the national psyche changed forever in May, 1979, I firmly believe the publics' opinions about politics changed irreversibly, after the expenses scandals of recent years.

There's very little respect for what many politicans now say, as opposed to what they actually do.

Consequently the great British public are no longer prepared to take any crap, off those who see themselves as our betters.

People (demand) power!

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 14:24   #124
Beacon of light

While we might not be prepared to take any crap. it is still very hard to make yourself heard......the politicians know that they are in for a number of years and hope we will have forgotten their transgressions when they ask us to vote again...also they know once they are in power they can do anything they like...it doesn't really matter what promises were made before the election.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 14:53   #125
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
While we might not be prepared to take any crap. it is still very hard to make yourself heard......the politicians know that they are in for a number of years and hope we will have forgotten their transgressions when they ask us to vote again...also they know once they are in power they can do anything they like...it doesn't really matter what promises were made before the election.
It may be hard, but people are starting to demand that they're heard.

Personally speaking...hear my song.

A blanket over my cage ain't going to quieten me.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 17:34   #126
Resting in Peace

Well at least Italy have got super Mario to put things right, think Greece are after Sonic the Hedgehog
Old 14-11-2011, 15:22   #127
God Member

The Italians seem to have no qualms about putting someone in as Prime Minister who isn't even an elected member of Parliament. Can't quite get my head around the way they do things here even after all this time...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 15:29   #128
God Member

Just read in the "Guardian" that Angela Merkel considers that the cirisis in the Eurozone is the worst since WWll .......

Let's think about this one ... do the krauts think that the rest of the world has finally forgotten what happened between 1939 and 1945, and who caused it? Bloody Germans ....
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 17:12   #129
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
The Italians seem to have no qualms about putting someone in as Prime Minister who isn't even an elected member of Parliament. Can't quite get my head around the way they do things here even after all this time...
Well, when Tony Blair left office Gordon Brown stepped into the breech....he was unelected and proved to be unelectable when the time came for the people to have their say.
Old 14-11-2011, 17:18   #130
Beacon of light

And when Margaret Thatcher resigned, John Major took over the reins.....again unelected.
I can't quite remember whether he ever won an election or whether he suffered the same fate as Gordon Brown.
Post script...he did in fact win the 1992 general election.....I have just checked to see that I wasn't misleading anyone. He was still eminently forgettable...unless your name is Edwina Currie.
Old 14-11-2011, 18:02   #131
Resting in Peace

Quote:
And when Margaret Thatcher resigned, John Major took over the reins.....again unelected.
I can't quite remember whether he ever won an election or whether he suffered the same fate as Gordon Brown.
Post script...he did in fact win the 1992 general election.....I have just checked to see that I wasn't misleading anyone. He was still eminently forgettable...unless your name is Edwina Currie.
Wells there is one thing Margaret we won't forget good old Tony or Gordon in a hurry will we
Old 14-11-2011, 18:04   #132
Beacon of light

Nope!
Old 14-11-2011, 18:59   #133
God Member

Quote:
And all the way back to Sir Alec Douglas-Home.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 19:08   #134
God Member

Quote:
Well, when Tony Blair left office Gordon Brown stepped into the breech....he was unelected and proved to be unelectable when the time came for the people to have their say.
Brown was at least elected as a Member of Parliament. The Italians have just appointed some bloke who's never been elected.
Old 14-11-2011, 19:08   #135
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
And all the way back to Sir Alec Douglas-Home.
Hume was that

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..