Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2011, 10:42   #106
Give, give, give member

Re: Greece Bailout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Perhaps, perhaps not, but he's certainly worth a punt and I'll be voting for him.

What's the altenative? Vote for Con/LibDem/Lab who all want to carry on with the insane power drive towards a United States of Europe and who don't want to give us ordinary folk a say on whether we agree or not? The only other anti-EU party is the BNP who, personally, I'd never vote for in a thousand years.

I really hope there's an upsurge in electoral support for the UKIP, whatever their shortcomings, purely to give the complacent sods in the the major parties a real kick up the backside and show them that they can't take us for granted.
There's enough local anger to certainly significantly split the vote, enjoyed by the main parties.

Who knows how that might affect things, for the complacent, party faithful?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-11-2011, 10:53   #107
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Perhaps, perhaps not, but he's certainly worth a punt and I'll be voting for him.

What's the altenative? Vote for Con/LibDem/Lab who all want to carry on with the insane power drive towards a United States of Europe and who don't want to give us ordinary folk a say on whether we agree or not? The only other anti-EU party is the BNP who, personally, I'd never vote for in a thousand years.

I really hope there's an upsurge in electoral support for the UKIP, whatever their shortcomings, purely to give the complacent sods in the the major parties a real kick up the backside and show them that they can't take us for granted.
Their only problem is they're a one trick pony Wyn
Old 13-11-2011, 11:04   #108
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
They actually have a full range of other policies, some of which I agree with, some of which I don't. I agree though, the anti-EU policy is the main plank of their electoral platform.

I'd vote for 'em as a protest vote, but let's face it, they're not going to take power because of all the numpties who'd vote for a monkey if it was wearing a red or blue rosette. As Gary says, though, a big UKIP vote would split the vote for the other parties and would hopefully make them realise that they've got to start taking OUR views into account.
Old 13-11-2011, 11:13   #109
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Yeh mean like you?
Old 13-11-2011, 11:17   #110
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yeh mean like you?
Mean.

Jaysay can jump, and stamp his foot.

If you reward him with an apple.

Old 13-11-2011, 11:25   #111
God Member

I am heartened by the fact that more people are using the phrase 'United States of Europe'. When it was suggested as the real purpose behind the EU, even as recently as a year ago, the concept was decried as 'conspiracy theory'.

Some conspiracy theories appear outlandish, but some become 'conspiracy fact'.

It is reasonable to investigate to decide for yourself which are credible, and be prepared for your opinion to change in the light of new unfolding events.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 11:28   #112
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Mean.

Jaysay can jump, and stamp his foot.

If you reward him with an apple.

Don't even jump these days
Old 13-11-2011, 11:29   #113
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Don't even jump these days
And if I stamp my feet Joan tells me to be quiet
Old 13-11-2011, 12:44   #114
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I am heartened by the fact that more people are using the phrase 'United States of Europe'. When it was suggested as the real purpose behind the EU, even as recently as a year ago, the concept was decried as 'conspiracy theory'.

Some conspiracy theories appear outlandish, but some become 'conspiracy fact'.

It is reasonable to investigate to decide for yourself which are credible, and be prepared for your opinion to change in the light of new unfolding events.
No one mentioned conspiracy theories, when Wynonie referred to the name the United States of Europe, back in 2008.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...aty-37502.html

Old 13-11-2011, 12:57   #115
God Member

Quote:
No one mentioned conspiracy theories, when Wynonie referred to the name the United States of Europe, back in 2008.

Good for him - some people 'twig it' sooner than others.
Just because people didn't shout 'conspiracy theory' doesn't indicate that they considered the concept would ever become a real possibilty.
They were just showing respect for his opinion.

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, German philosopher"

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 13:08   #116
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Good for him - some people 'twig it' sooner than others.
Just because people didn't shout 'conspiracy theory' doesn't indicate that they considered the concept would ever become a real possibilty.
They were just showing respect for his opinion.

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, German philosopher"
I first used the term in a debate we had about the last European referendum, at my primary school, in 1975.

Sad, but true.

Old 13-11-2011, 13:09   #117
I am Banned

Quote:

All these united whatsits have collapsed after a time, just look at history, Roman Empire, USSR, British Commonwealth, even the United States have different laws in different states, United Arabs, United Kingdom, different laws in parts of the so called United Kingdom. Germany had an empire once. Its all about self, United States of Europe is just about France & Germany, as long as they get their way, sod every one else, its just pay & shut up.
When france was liberated in 1944, we should have kicked out the frogs, and kept for ourselves, instead of letting that back stabbing git deGaulle take over.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 13:13   #118
Beacon of light

When we were first asked to vote on the Common Market I voted 'No' mainly because I felt it would grow into something political........I didn't voice these concerns because I thought that people would think I was some kind of nutter. It is very sad to see my original concerns come true.

As for the single currency....I could never see how this was going to work because it seemed to me that the variation in the economies of the different nations were so very diverse....how could the Olive oil nations who had weak manufacturing base run along side those like Germany with a strong manufacturing base??
It didn't make one jot of sense, but I thought perhaps that my lack of knowledge about financial systems and such were not perhaps as well developed as those who had thought up this daft idea. It was an experiment really....and one which we will all pay dearly for.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 13:16   #119
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
All these united whatsits have collapsed after a time, just look at history, Roman Empire, USSR, British Commonwealth, even the United States have different laws in different states, United Arabs, United Kingdom, different laws in parts of the so called United Kingdom. Germany had an empire once. Its all about self, United States of Europe is just about France & Germany, as long as they get their way, sod every one else, its just pay & shut up.
When france was liberated in 1944, we should have kicked out the frogs, and kept for ourselves, instead of letting that back stabbing git deGaulle take over.
Retlaw.
You didn't like General C De Gaulle then Retlaw?

He hated us too....and for years he veto'ed our application to the Common Market....he should have locked the door and thrown away the key to the Common Market.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 13:18   #120
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Retlaw.
Quite agree Retlaw. But then again I'm not an Internationalist, thank bippy.

Internationalists refuse to see these historic examples of failed super states, and the fact that people much prefer independent self-rule.

Not being governed by some faceless bureaucrat, in some distant, foreign land.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..