Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 09:53   #1
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

How would you deal with anti-social behaviour?

The police should make young thugs’ lives as uncomfortable as possible by following them around and filming them wherever possible, according to the Home Secretary.
Jacqui Smith is expected to admit that ASBOs aren’t working and that more radical solutions are called for.
How do you think we should tackle the issue of anti-social behaviour?

Iv always said, go back to the old days.......
we need to show em whos boss!!!
Old 09-05-2008, 09:57   #2

Re: How would you deal with anti-social behaviour?

I'm all for the stocks - nobody likes public embarrassment
The birch would be considered too strong by most but for violent ASB it could be an option.
Until hanging is brought back though nowt will change for the good imho.

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:04   #3
Resting in Peace

i think for all them you hear shouting in the street(like here last night at 1am)
a few of these should be used
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scoldsbridle.jpg (16.4 KB, 4 views)
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:21   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
The police should make young thugs’ lives as uncomfortable as possible by following them around and filming them wherever possible, according to the Home Secretary.
Jacqui Smith is expected to admit that ASBOs aren’t working and that more radical solutions are called for.
And watch the whole thing fall to bits, when the first yob starts whining, via a fatcat lawyer funded by legal aid, that his/her human rights have been infringed. And the ironic thing is that this present government enshrined the European Convention of Human Rights in UK law in 1997.

Yet another gimmick from a gimmick-obsessed and increasingly desperate government.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:32   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
And watch the whole thing fall to bits, when the first yob starts whining, via a fatcat lawyer funded by legal aid, that his/her human rights have been infringed. And the ironic thing is that this present government enshrined the European Convention of Human Rights in UK law in 1997.

Yet another gimmick from a gimmick-obsessed and increasingly desperate government.

But yes the human rights act is causing us lots of problems! Yes people should have certain rights, but I think the human rights act sometimes goes too far.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:48   #6
Super Moderator

OK, I stand corrected, Cyfr. However, the Human Rights Act seems to have benefited all manner of yobs, criminals and terrorists, while ordinary, law-abiding citizens can no longer smoke in pubs and will eventually have to pay for the privilege of carrying an identity card.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:06   #7

I would make the parents more responsible. If 12 year old Tyron steels a car make his parents pay for it. If they can't send the child to prison send hhis parents - get him into care and give him a chance.

The vast majority of kids problems are caused by the parent/s they live with. Get vulnerable youngsters away from their home environments asap. It is in the home they learn their loutish behaviour and I am sure that if someone sat down and analysed the figures we would discover that there has been a drastic rise in anti social behaviour since the theory that children must be kept with their natural 0parents came into fashion.

Most Reception Class teachers can spot the kids that are going to be a problem after their first few weeks in school. although costly in the short term a removal policy would save a fortune in the long term.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:19   #8

You make it sound like it is solely all parents responsible Polly.
Peer group influence also plays a major factor in a lot of instances, as any teacher will also know.

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:21   #9
Senior Member+

theres also special needs that arent diagnosed in reception class.... at the last place i worked there was a child labeld by the teachers as a trouble maker.... turned out he had aspergers.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:02   #10
God Member

European Convention of Human Rights is 1950 actually, its the Human Rights Act the is 1998 and it was enforced in the year 2000. Although we didn't have it enshrined into our law, being a member of the EU makes it compulsory anyway, so it wouldn't have made much difference. Even non-member countries are under some rules and regulations, you can't just go against peoples rights in Europe, ever since the joys of WWII, which I sometimes get the feeling some people would like to actually incorporate into our society...
Common mistake to make

I think its a case of what you do with dogs, provide them with long tiring activities and discipline. There is nothing for teenagers to do, and until there is something to do then they are going to just wander the streets. Obviously providing things to do doesn't solve all the problems, some teens will still rink and take drugs and have sex etc, but it would get many of the younger ones off the street probably.

Last edited by blazey; 09-05-2008 at 12:05.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 13:29   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
European Convention of Human Rights is 1950 actually, its the Human Rights Act the is 1998 and it was enforced in the year 2000.
I'm well aware of that, which is why I said that the Convention was enshrined into UK law in 1997 (although it was actually 1998, as Cyfr pointed out). In fact, UK citizens have been able to claim that their human rights have been infringed under the Convention at the Human Rights Court in Strausbourg since 1966. However, they could not enforce their rights in the UK until this government passed their Human Rights Act which, as you say, became enforceable in 2000 (October 2nd, to be precise).

As for the requirements of the EU, this seems to me to be yet reason to leave this corrupt, bloated, undemocratic institution. Presumably, the "people's rights" you refer to include the rights of various dangerous and hate-filled preachers of Islamic fascism not to be deported to their countries of origin, but to remain as guests of ours. I would suggest that we simply send them back and if our masters in Brussels object, do what the French do, when there's an EU ruling they don't like, and tell them where to go. Terribly unsophisticated I know, but tough!
Old 09-05-2008, 13:57   #12

Ive said this before in another thread, but now i cant remember what its called National thingy? you know, when boys were forced to do it? Army stuff? I think it should be more community based now though. Make them improve the area then they'll have more respect for it.
The boys who killed Sophie were said to probably have evil in them but was brought more to the front by thier upbringing.

Its the nature nurture debate.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 13:58   #13
Senior Member+

national service?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 14:05   #14

Thats it lol
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 15:11   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Common mistake to make

I think its a case of what you do with dogs, provide them with long tiring activities and discipline. There is nothing for teenagers to do, and until there is something to do then they are going to just wander the streets. Obviously providing things to do doesn't solve all the problems, some teens will still rink and take drugs and have sex etc, but it would get many of the younger ones off the street probably.
There are p0lenty of things for teenagers to do . To start with many of them would do well to put much time into their school work. Then there are activities such as Scouts, Guides etc Sports teams. The average teenager has a whole host of things to do without even going outside their own front door.

One of the big problems is that certain parents dont want their little dears hanging around the home and virtually throw them out on to the streets to become a mence to society.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..