Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2008, 10:50   #1
Resting in Peace

MMR Jab

Its been reported this morning that parents who refuse to have their children vaccinated with the MMR jab will loose their child benefit and their children could be excluded from attending school. This again sounds like another attack on the poorest in society, as people who are relatively well of will not be botherd about child benefit wereas those from poorer families will be badly effected, another nonsense idea from a nonsense Government
Old 11-05-2008, 10:54   #2
white rabbits

Re: MMR Jab

Surely its better to have the jab though.... At least when our kids were little ,we diddent think twice about it,,,
Old 11-05-2008, 10:58   #3
Senior Member+

because of the big hoo haw about autism some parents are opting out of the jab.. this means diseases that had practiacally died out are now coming back.. some children cant have the jab due to illnesses and allergies, this means that these children are put at risk because of parents that are choosing not to give their child the jab because they think it will give them autism.....

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:03   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Its been reported this morning that parents who refuse to have their children vaccinated with the MMR jab will loose their child benefit and their children could be excluded from attending school.
This sounds like an excellent idea to me.
Refusing to have your child vaccinated with the MMR jab is pure idiocy.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:24   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
I'm not disagreeing with the jab part shakermaker, its the way its being put forward, if you are a family living on say £15,000 a year you will have to have your kids vaccinated even if you have reservations about its safety, yet a couple living on £100,000 a year won't give a monkeys, so its a discrimination against the poores in society thats all I'm saying. I think the MMR jab is a great idea, but there are people from all walks of life who have resevations, yet this will only effect the poor
Old 11-05-2008, 11:28   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'm not disagreeing with the jab part shakermaker, its the way its being put forward, if you are a family living on say £15,000 a year you will have to have your kids vaccinated even if you have reservations about its safety, yet a couple living on £100,000 a year won't give a monkeys, so its a discrimination against the poores in society thats all I'm saying. I think the MMR jab is a great idea, but there are people from all walks of life who have resevations, yet this will only effect the poor
The serious consequences put forward for refusing to have your child vaccinated move to show that there is no reason to have reservations about MMR. Hopefully it will dispel the urban myths of MMR's link to autism.
Old 11-05-2008, 13:24   #7
God Member

when Reece was due to have his jab as a baby i didnt think twice about it, back then there wasnt all this comotion about autism, it hasnt been actually proved that it is linked to autism, its just speculation, they seem to change their minds about what babies can and cant do a lot nowadays, on the news the other day they where on about baby bottles doing harm to the child, another thing that wasnt mentioned when Reece was a kid, do we reallly need to wrap them up in cotton wool all their lives????
Old 11-05-2008, 13:28   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
On what grounds do you base that on?

A few years ago I had a copy of a report sent to GP's about the MMR jab. It was quite worrying reading.
Old 11-05-2008, 13:32   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
Surely its better to have the jab though.... At least when our kids were little ,we diddent think twice about it,,,
That is because in those days people trusted the Government and had sheep mentality when it came to these sort of things.
Old 11-05-2008, 13:35   #10
God Member

Be interesting to see what happens when a couple are forced to do this and the child, god forbid, turns out autistic, will it be down to the government to prove no link, or the parents to prove there is a link, either way, the poor will suffer again, unless proof of a link is given, then the parents are paid hundreds of thousands, and the claim floodgate opens, they will soon drop this stupid idea then.
Old 11-05-2008, 13:39   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
On what grounds do you base that on?
Refusing to give a child a vaccination for preventable diseases based on flawed reports, scaremongering and speculation equates to idiocy in my opinion.
Old 11-05-2008, 13:40   #12
Beacon of light

People seem to assume that you have to be a chav to deny a child the right to the MMR jab.
I have said it before in other threads...if the government were so concerned about protecting children, then they would make the single jabs freely available for those parents who have concerns....that they don't suggests to me that perhaps there is a 'money' thing going on between the producers of the vaccine and the government...and that has to be a worry.

Isn't this a kind of health fascism....do this for your children or else?
And if we go down this slippery slope, how long will it be before some other hammer is wielded by government to get their own way.
What happened to the parents right to a reasoned choice?
If I were a parent of a young baby, and there was the remotest chance that a vaccination would cause a lifelong disability, then I would not take that risk...whatever the government said.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 13:45   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
dont agree with that shaker, whilst i'm in favour of the MMR jab,to stop peoples benifit, who refuse fer good reason is idiocy in my book, what else ya gonna do? stop jehovas witnesses benifit cos they don't believe in blood transfusions? i don't agree wi them either,but its their belief.
Old 11-05-2008, 13:53   #14
Senior Member+

Measles can lead to brain swelling and even death.

Mumps can cause pancreatitis, lead to miscarriage and, very rarely, also inflammation of the central nervous system eg meningitis, encephalitis, or myelitis.

If a preganant woman is around rubella her baby maybe born blind.

blindness is a life long disability that can be cause by children not having the mmr, if everyone had the mmr then the diseases would die out.

Autism is not life threatening.. measles, mumps and rubella can be...
it is very possible that my son has aspergers,(just waiting to see the paediatrician, we have been waiting since september!) which is an autistic spectrum disorder. He had the MMR.
given the choice between autism and possible death or brain damage... i would rather he had autism.. at least he is alive

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 16:35   #15
Beacon of light

While Autism is not life threatening, it does affect the quality of life and it is a lifelong disability.......and while the things you quote do exist and are very real I think it is wrong to let parents believe that any of these things are common.
At the end of the day I would prefer that parents make an informed choice.
And if they(the government) really were so concerned about children getting the protection from these childhood ailments then they should make the single jabs available......that they don't, but yet are willing to threaten such big steps against parents who refuse to put their children at risk from autism(as they see it), worries me greatly about their motives.
I am glad that I do not have the responsibility of making a decision over small children of my own.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..