Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2008, 16:44   #16
Senior Member+

Re: MMR Jab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
While Autism is not life threatening, it does affect the quality of life and it is a lifelong disability.......and while the things you quote do exist and are very real I think it is wrong to let parents believe that any of these things are common.
At the end of the day I would prefer that parents make an informed choice.
And if they(the government) really were so concerned about children getting the protection from these childhood ailments then they should make the single jabs available......that they don't, but yet are willing to threaten such big steps against parents who refuse to put their children at risk from autism(as they see it), worries me greatly about their motives.
I am glad that I do not have the responsibility of making a decision over small children of my own.
then why are we even talking about the autism link, thats not common either?
it just happens that the age that autism sometimes becomes apparent is the same age children have the jab.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-05-2008, 16:54   #17
God Member

This is the government using a stick instead of a carrot.
Forcing medication on the population is not the way to go, and just stirs animosity.
I totally agree with what Margaret P said and she should know

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 16:55   #18
Beacon of light

Autism is commoner now than ever before.....OK so that may be because they are quicker at spotting it now.
I don't have a gripe with folk who want their children to have the MMR vaccine......I just don't think the government should be using tactic like withdrawing benefits or saying that an unvaccinated child will be excluded from school.
I believe the parents are the ones who should be making the decisions about the well being of their child, not the government.

Remember that if this is allowed to happen it may be the smokers and the drinkers who are the next targets for the health fascists.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 16:59   #19
Resting in Peace

Where was this reported Jaysay ? Can't see this ever being enforced.

Not allowing them in school ! Denying child benefit ! .. bit extreme.

Although I do feel is the duty of every parent to immunise their children for the sake of the whole.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 17:00   #20
Beacon of light

As for your question about the link between the vaccination and autism......that is what most parents fear, although there are other conditions that are also linked the this vaccination(notably bowel disorders).
These fears have not been adequately dealt with, parents have not been reassured.
And who can blame them I wouldn't trust this government with the running of a whelk stall....and they wouldn't know the truth if it jumped up and bit them.

In any case, it matters not one jot as i have no small children to consider....but if I had they would not be getting the MMR vaccine.
Old 11-05-2008, 17:01   #21
Beacon of light

I do get a feeling of deja vu with this thread. I think I have been here before.
Old 11-05-2008, 17:04   #22
God Member

Smokers in particular, but drinkers too are already targets imo, along with motorists, the government have tried pricing these things out of the market, but still persist in making life difficult for them, as usual, the wealthy people dont give a monkeys about the cost, it is the low paid who are more likely to be smokers and drinkers possibly due in part to financial difficulty, and are the ones least able to run a car, a labour government with many tory policies in my opinion, look after the rich and stomp on the poor.
Old 11-05-2008, 17:04   #23
Senior Member+

I can kind of understand not letting them into school because they are putting other children at risk... a strange way of looking at it but its like dog kennels not allowing dogs that havent had their jabs lol

Autism is now accepted as a special need, not too long ago it was blamed on refrigerated mothers that didnt show love to their children.

i agree that the government shouldnt have to do this, but i can see why they are

as i said before... i do have a small child and he has had the vaccine

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 11-05-2008, 17:11   #24
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
I can kind of understand not letting them into school because they are putting other children at risk.
Why are they if all the other kids have had the MMR jab?

You can still have the 3 separate jabs if you pay for them and find someone to give them to your child
Old 11-05-2008, 17:12   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Why are they if all the other kids have had the MMR jab?
well... some children cant have the jab due to illnesses and allergies. plus you have to think about the teachers etc.. if one is pregnant then the baby can be affected by it

Old 11-05-2008, 17:13   #26
God Member

what annoys me is when parents have more than one child and one of the kids have had the jab but they refuse to let the other kid have the jab because of all this scare mongering, thats just hypocritical to me
Old 11-05-2008, 17:16   #27
Beacon of light

In schools, the only children who are going to be affected are the non-vaccinated ones.......so it isn't like there is a huge risk.
It is NOT the correct way to get increased take up of vaccination.
Don't get me wrong......I am not against vaccination per se.....I am just against the combined vaccination. I am sure that if the vaccines were separated there would be a much bigger uptake.
I, and all of my siblings had measles as a child, and while it wasn't the pleasantest experience, none of us suffered any lasting ill effects. I do not recall any of my peers suffering any of the complications of these diseases either.

I think that many of the terrible things like measles encephalitis, etc are exaggerated to scare parents
Old 11-05-2008, 17:18   #28
Beacon of light

A pregnant teacher should not be at risk as she should have had the Rubella vaccination as a child at school.
I know there was a vaccination program when I was at school...many years ago....but I had already had rubella so i didn't get vaccinated.
Old 11-05-2008, 17:22   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Its been reported this morning that parents who refuse to have their children vaccinated with the MMR jab will loose their child benefit and their children could be excluded from attending school. This again sounds like another attack on the poorest in society, as people who are relatively well of will not be botherd about child benefit wereas those from poorer families will be badly effected, another nonsense idea from a nonsense Government

'Although the idea was being floated this weekend, it is likely that Downing Street will shy away from it, given the historical controversy over the vaccination programme in Britain.'

Pupils 'must have MMR jab' to start classes | News crumb | EducationGuardian.co.uk

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 17:24   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
In schools, the only children who are going to be affected are the non-vaccinated ones.......so it isn't like there is a huge risk.
Is that fair on the child though Margaret, just because their parents decided against it ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..