Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2008, 17:30   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: MMR Jab

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
'Although the idea was being floated this weekend, it is likely that Downing Street will shy away from it, given the historical controversy over the vaccination programme in Britain.'

Pupils 'must have MMR jab' to start classes | News crumb | EducationGuardian.co.uk
Thanks Garinda .. Jaysay hopeless sometimes at putting up a link ..

Think it will float away into oblivion .. although how lucky are we that we can protect our children in this way. Years ago, lots of children would have died from these diseases. Didn't know there was one for chicken pox now (which you really don't want to get due to possibility of shingles later) and winter vomiting virus ? What's that ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-05-2008, 17:32   #32
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Think it will float away into oblivion .. although how lucky are we that we can protect our children in this way. Years ago, lots of children would have died from these diseases. Didn't know there was one for chicken pox now (which you really don't want to get due to possibility of shingles later) and winter vomiting virus ? What's that ?
the norovirus thats been doing the rounds recently....i think the chicken pox vaccine is only given out in usa atm i know it was when i was studying child health.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 18:05   #33
Beacon of light

Quote:
Is that fair on the child though Margaret, just because their parents decided against it ?
Well, I think the parents would investigate and have their childs best interests at heart.
Parents do decide a lot of things for their children, and do it admirably....I'm not sure that a child would really know that if it succumbed to a childhood illness, it could be construed as the parents fault.
We don't consider it a parents fault if they get any other illness....and it is the parent who has to look after the child when it is not well.
If a child was vaccinated and it then developed autism or bowel problems would the child consider its parents negligent for not investigating thoroughly the risks of vaccination?
You could go around in circles forever and not come to a satisfactory conclusion.
And I swear that this will be my last word on this subject.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 18:13   #34
God Member

Both my children had the vaccination and the decision for them to have it was mine. I certainly don't think parents who have concerns and don't allow their kids to be vaccinated should be blackmailed in any way. As Margaret says why are they not offered seperate ones???
Old 11-05-2008, 18:13   #35
Senior Member+

some times an informed decision is still not the best one... i made and informed decision and went ahead with the surgery on tylers eye hoping it would make them better and instead it made them worse.... and i blame myself for that because i opted for the surgery.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 11-05-2008, 18:14   #36
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
what annoys me is when parents have more than one child and one of the kids have had the jab but they refuse to let the other kid have the jab because of all this scare mongering, thats just hypocritical to me
No it is doing what you feel is right at the time using your current knowledge to make the decision.
Old 11-05-2008, 18:15   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Both my children had the vaccination and the decision for them to have it was mine. I certainly don't think parents who have concerns and don't allow their kids to be vaccinated should be blackmailed in any way. As Margaret says why are they not offered seperate ones???
taken from the bupa website.......

'No country recommends single rather than combined vaccines. There are a number of reasons why the vaccines aren't given separately.
  • Children would need three times as many injections (six in total), which is more unpleasant because of the pain from each jab and six episodes of possible side-effects.
  • It could mean that fewer children have all the necessary vaccinations, increasing the levels of measles, mumps and rubella in the UK.
  • There may be more delay before being completely vaccinated, leaving children at risk of infection from the diseases for longer.
  • Single vaccines are not licensed in the UK, and have not passed the UK's safety and effectiveness testing. '

Old 11-05-2008, 18:18   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
If a child was vaccinated and it then developed autism or bowel problems would the child consider its parents negligent for not investigating thoroughly the risks of vaccination?
You could go around in circles forever and not come to a satisfactory conclusion.
And I swear that this will be my last word on this subject.
Yes, of course Margaret .. damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Just that ... you only have to look around old Churchyards (as I did the other week) to see how many children died in the past with these diseases which they don't now due to immunisation, that's all I was trying to say.
Old 11-05-2008, 18:21   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
taken from the bupa website.......

'No country recommends single rather than combined vaccines. There are a number of reasons why the vaccines aren't given separately.
  • Children would need three times as many injections (six in total), which is more unpleasant because of the pain from each jab and six episodes of possible side-effects.
  • It could mean that fewer children have all the necessary vaccinations, increasing the levels of measles, mumps and rubella in the UK.
  • There may be more delay before being completely vaccinated, leaving children at risk of infection from the diseases for longer.
  • Single vaccines are not licensed in the UK, and have not passed the UK's safety and effectiveness testing. '
So going from that link these single vaccines are not licensed in the UK, how come you can have them if you pay
Old 11-05-2008, 18:26   #40
Senior Member+

BBC News | HEALTH | Single vaccine hunt continues

heres some more on this...

and some interesting bits from the report....

It is not available on the NHS anywhere to younger children - it does not have a licence because many doctors believe it does not actually work well enough.

Dr Peter Mansfield, working privately from a practice in Louth, Lincolnshire, was reported to the General Medical Council, which regulates the profession, by a health authority.

Dr David Pugh - offers the jab

It claimed that the GP was acting outside the best interests of his patients by giving the single jab.

Old 11-05-2008, 19:42   #41
God Member

Whilst I don't agree with taking away people's benefits for not agreeing to have their children vaccinated, something does need to be done to show parents what can happen if they don't.
Personally, I would invite them along to my place of work which is a residential home for deafblind adults, we have 5 residents ranging in age from 34 to 54 years old - all of whom have the disabilities they have because their mothers were in contact with or caught rubella whilst they were pregnant. They are all deaf and blind in varying degrees and all have severe learning difficulties, it would open a lot of people's eyes if they could see what Rubella causes - and that is fact not scaremongering.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 20:04   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Whilst I don't agree with taking away people's benefits for not agreeing to have their children vaccinated, something does need to be done to show parents what can happen if they don't.
Personally, I would invite them along to my place of work which is a residential home for deafblind adults, we have 5 residents ranging in age from 34 to 54 years old - all of whom have the disabilities they have because their mothers were in contact with or caught rubella whilst they were pregnant. They are all deaf and blind in varying degrees and all have severe learning difficulties, it would open a lot of people's eyes if they could see what Rubella causes - and that is fact not scaremongering.
Well, exactly Accymad .. this will not happen now (or should not) due to the facility of immunisation !!
Old 11-05-2008, 20:05   #43
Senior Member+

Quote:
Well, exactly Accymad .. this will not happen now due to immunisation !!
...........as long as all children have them..................

Old 11-05-2008, 20:08   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
...........as long as all children have them..................
Exactly Emamum .. tis scandalous not to.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:40   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Thanks Kate I love you toobut you only have to read my location to understand why, although I have been getting some tuition from Less, HE'S A GENT. However, I didn't see it in a paper it was debated on BBC Breakfast yesterday morning, they had a Chap who was the past Chairman of the BMA and a woman from Kidscap on discussing it

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..