Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012, 17:52   #1246
Resting In Peace

Re: Legalise "Illegal" Drugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Folk like myself?

I presume you mean people who are happy with the status quo as it is, regarding recreational drugs being illegal?

Presumably those that have posted they'd like the law changed have had some personal experience with taking illegal drugs. As I doubt many would bother arguing that recreational drugs should be made legal if they hadn't, and indeed many have already given that information as fact.

So your questioning whether the other opinions given in this thread are based on actual 'experience', rather seems like you're trying to invalidate anyone's opinion who hasn't had a direct invovement with illegal drugs, even though they are happy for recreational drugs to remain illegal.

Again, as stated already, if you read what's actually been posted, the majority of people have given reasons, as to why they think what they do on this issue.

Also using the term 'sound off', when referring to those peoples' views being aired, could be seen as both patronising, and dismissive.

Nothing to do with the thread, but please use my username, when referring to myself. Thank you.
Very sorry, my fault for posting in a hurry. What I meant to say was

If you read my post I was wondering how many folks, like yourself, have direct experience. You read into it that I thought the opinion of those who don't was less valid.

Of course I don't think you have to have experience to have an opinion.

But I do think some people sound off on here. I may be one of them.

Patronising and dismissive? Takes one to know one!
Old 01-04-2012, 18:14   #1247
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Very sorry, my fault for posting in a hurry. What I meant to say was

If you read my post I was wondering how many folks, like yourself, have direct experience. You read into it that I thought the opinion of those who don't was less valid.

Of course I don't think you have to have experience to have an opinion.

But I do think some people sound off on here. I may be one of them.

Patronising and dismissive? Takes one to know one!
So now you resort to the petty 'backbiting', that you say prevents you from reading what's actually what's been posted in this thread?

A thread that if you had read, would mean you'd have already known the answer to your question.

That seems very odd.

To say the least.

Having a skin thicker than a rhinoceros, and not being the supersensitive type, I, and any other idiot, can see by your wording that you were questioning the validity of anyone's opinion, who didn't have direct experience of illegal drugs, and by labelling their opinion as 'sounding off', it was patronising.

Deny it if you wish.

It's there for everyone to clearly see.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 18:19   #1248
Senior Member+

My point garinda was this.

I think it is ignorant to tar every drug user to be of the down and out type and to be the scum of the earth.

And that is what a lot of people do. Perhaps if they had taken drugs themselves they would know the difference but then they
may have a bad experience and so its not totally a valid point. But I thought I would share my views anyway. I wish i hadnt now

Some people have this opinion because they are directly influenced by propaganda.

One of my friends... his dad said 'Drugs make you gay' an honest quote

Last edited by Restless; 01-04-2012 at 18:22.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 18:26   #1249
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post

I think it is ignorant to tar every drug user to be of the down and out type and to be the scum of the earth.

And that is what a lot of people do. Perhaps if they had taken drugs themselves they would know the difference but then they
may have a bad experience and so its not totally a valid point. But I thought I would share my views anyway. I wish i hadnt now

Some people have this opinion because they are directly influenced by propaganda.

You have some strange mates if their parents think like that Restless
Old 01-04-2012, 18:28   #1250
Senior Member+

well my mate is strange I will agree with that

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
You have some strange mates if their parents think like that Restless
Old 01-04-2012, 18:49   #1251
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Just for you, so you don't think you're being attacked, and as I'm feeling nice, and generous, I'll repeat what I've already posted in this thread...for the umpteenth time.

Nowhere, not once, ever, have I posted that every illegal drug taker is a 'down-and-out type', or 'scum'.

Nor have I ever said that every 'soft' drug user will go on to take harder drugs.

However, some will, and to me decriminalising recreational drugs would increase those odds, and I don't think as a society that's a chance we should be taking.

I've posted about friends in their sixties, who've had a couple of joints every night for the last forty odd years, as well as friends who've gone clubbing on drugs for decades, neither of whom have gone on to take harder drugs, and who have happy, and rewarding lives.

I've also posted about teenagers I've worked with, who sell themselves to disgusting pigs for a tenner, so they can buy their next wrap of smack. Their pitiful existence led there via soft drugs.

Not all recreational 'soft' drug users will move on to harder drugs.

Some will.

Fact.

It's a risk, if these drugs were decriminalised, that I think would increase, and isn't a gamble I'd like to see taken.

This is the last time I repeat what I've already said regarding my views on this issue.

As they've already been posted in this thread...many times.

Posted along with my scathing opposition, because I see what they've posted as dangerous, to those who've used this thread to extol the joys of taking drugs such as L.S.D., and heroin, amongst other illegal, 'recreational' narcotics.

Last edited by garinda; 01-04-2012 at 18:52.
Old 01-04-2012, 18:53   #1252

Quote:

Sorry don't understand, what are you saying here?
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 18:57   #1253
Senior Member+

I hadn't read all the posts so I shouldn't of assumed that the person that quoted you saying these things were right that you actually had said them. But I wasn't directing that at you... generally its just what a lot of people actually think because they have been taught to think likewise

I do agree with you. But my opinion is that cannabis should be legalised and all the other drugs should not be. Even if it was legalized I still wouldn't smoke it again.

Good post. thanks
Old 01-04-2012, 18:59   #1254
Senior Member+

A friend of mine who smokes cannabis. His father is anti drugs. His father said to him one day ''look at all the musicians that are on drugs that are gay'' He said that '' drugs turned people into homosexuals''.

Where this strange opinion originates from is beyond me. All I can guess is television

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
Sorry don't understand, what are you saying here?
Old 01-04-2012, 19:04   #1255
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I hadn't read all the posts so I shouldn't of assumed that the person that quoted you saying these things were right that you actually had said them. But I wasn't directing that at you... generally its just what a lot of people actually think because they have been taught to think likewise

I do agree with you. But my opinion is that cannabis should be legalised and all the other drugs should not be. Even if it was legalized I still wouldn't smoke it again.

Good post. thanks
No need to thank me.

Just setting the record straight, for those who haven't read the thread, but who have just seen the total misinformation, posted by those with a hidden agenda.

Knowledge is power.

Always try to attain that knowledge from more than once source.

Especially if that source is not very reliable.

I thought your post, made yesterday morning, was refreshingly honest, even if I didn't agree with much of it myself.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:19   #1256
Senior Member+

Quote:
A friend of mine who smokes cannabis. His father is anti drugs. His father said to him one day ''look at all the musicians that are on drugs that are gay'' He said that '' drugs turned people into homosexuals''.

Where this strange opinion originates from is beyond me. All I can guess is television
One reason to legalise drugs!

kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:44   #1257
Give, give, give member

One reason not to legalise drugs.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/m.../kestrelx.html

Old 02-04-2012, 08:25   #1258
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Um nice one Rindi
Old 02-04-2012, 10:10   #1259
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Um nice one Rindi
Ribbet, ribbet!

I wonder if he turns into a handsome prince with a kiss?

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 02-04-2012 at 10:11. Reason: Smiley
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:46   #1260
God Member

I believe that the legalization ... or, at least the decriminalization ... of all drugs that are now illegal will have an "upside" which will far outweigh the "downside". Many of those in power in countries such as Mexico and Columbia have put forward this position. Also, if memory serves me right, in Switzerland several years ago. "The War on Drugs" ... an idea that comes, not surprizingly, out of the USA, has failed. The yanks are big on having "wars" on things: The War on Terror is a good example. All these wars are unwinnable. But whatever, big decisions on this issue will be made at the White House today, whatever anyone else thinks. And I have no doubt that this war will continue its futile course ... like Afghanistan, like Iraq, and like the one in Viet Nam decades ago.

Harper, Obama, Calderon meet before Summit of Americas - Politics - CBC News
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..