Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2007, 08:04   #1
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Lie Detector tests

for would be benefit cheats!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6528425.stm
Old 05-04-2007, 09:53   #2
I am Banned

Re: Lie Detector tests

What utter poppycock this is. Another headline grabbing initiative. There are individuals in Hyndburn who have taken more in benefits to which they are not entitled than the chap in the article below (from the national press ),and yet have not even been prosecuted, far less faced prison,despite the information to prove the case having been readily available for several years. What an absolute shambles.

''Caught digging the garden: the 'wheelchair bound' fraudster who claimed £77k in benefits
A benefits cheat who claimed more than £77,000 in disability payments was filmed running his own business as a gardener and handyman.
Leonard Staniland said osteoarthritis had left him confined to a wheelchair and needing round-the-clock care. But he was filmed by investigators bending over flower beds, climbing ladders and carrying patio slabs.
The 62-year-old falsely claimed incapacity benefit, income support, pension credit, council tax benefit and disability living allowance over a seven-year period.''
gondola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:07   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
for would be benefit cheats!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6528425.stm
I'll wager a bet the technology is only used on those who speak natural English.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:11   #4
I am Banned

Without a doubt!
Old 05-04-2007, 10:12   #5
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

never thought of that lancdave
what if your really nervous person, better of being drunk then, when your more relaxed and dont give a toss
Old 05-04-2007, 10:16   #6
I am Banned

A lie detector test is only 96% accurate tho [yes watch too much jeremy kyle & trisha]
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:18   #7
I am Banned

Mind u Panther many of them are drunkards anyway
Old 05-04-2007, 10:21   #8
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
A lie detector test is only 96% accurate tho [yes watch too much jeremy kyle & trisha]
I do too...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
Mind u Panther many of them are drunkards anyway
yeh clampets of accy!!
Old 05-04-2007, 10:24   #9
I am Banned

The thing thats really laughable is that no matter what the genuine claiments suffer or feel criminal by association to the benefit hence why many that need to claim some benefits actually dont - while the fraudsters dont give a crap & get as much as they can!!!
Old 05-04-2007, 10:43   #10
I am Banned

A very good friend of one of the Councillors of Hyndburn has taken more than 77k in benefits to which he was not entitled, yet I dont see any prosecutions having resulted.

One rule for one and one for another.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:44   #11
I am Banned

Incidentally, not only can this be proven, but I understand it has.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:53   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondola View Post
Incidentally, not only can this be proven, but I understand it has.
Then why don't you name them, or report them to the benefit fraud people?

You can do it online here,
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/campaigns/benefit-thieves/
or by phone on 0800 854 440.

Or are you going to play Chinese whispers again, and not substantiate your claims, and by not having the strength of your convictions to actually do something about it?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:03   #13
I am Banned

Garinda,

You are assuming others have not reported this matter. Not on an online forum but apparently in person and to all organisations affiliated to HMG that were taken for a ride.

Should you think these are chinese whispers, let me put it this way. There are a few on this forum that are in possession of the facts, excluding myself. They too are staggered.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:08   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondola View Post
Garinda,

You are assuming others have not reported this matter. Not on an online forum but apparently in person and to all organisations affiliated to HMG that were taken for a ride.

Should you think these are chinese whispers, let me put it this way. There are a few on this forum that are in possession of the facts, excluding myself. They too are staggered.

If what you say is true, call the police.

No one is above the law of the land.

Name that person here, if you are so sure it is true. After all you can't be libelled if it is fact, and I'm sure if it was in the public arena the press, amongst others, would investigate your claim.

Or is it a case of more hot air?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:22   #15
I am Banned

Garinda,

Don't take this the wrong way, since it is not so intended. However, I must say that your understanding of what goes on behind the scenes as it were, is in it's infancy at best.

You referred me to a 'benefit cheats' call centre. I can tell you that all they would do is refer it to the local Council and DWP after compiling the information. Thusit is far more effective to approach the fraud investigators at both directly. I understand that has been done some time ago.

The evidence I have seen is compelling. It proves without doubt that benefits, including housing and Council tax benefit, have been awarded when clearly they ought not to have been. Furhter, additional awards were made even after these matters were reported. None of this money has yet been returned I understand.

Should you doubt what I say, then I'm sure some of those on here who have access to the information may reinforce my view. I suspect they shall not give you the full details since it may serve as an impediment to the proposed of action that shall be undertaken going forward.

Hope that helps

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..