Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-01-2008, 23:53   #16
God Member

Re: M&S Muslim Refuses To Serve 'Unclean' Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
The shop assistant's version of the story is that she didn't want to touch the book as her hands were not clean.

Not actually having been there I can't say who is telling the truth but if that was indeed what she did say then maybe the woman just got the wrong end of the stick.

I don't know of any reason why a Muslim would call Bible stories 'unclean'. They supposedly respect all holy books.
I imagine she is telling the truth and it has all got twisted by the media for a good story. Sounds more realistic.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-01-2008, 00:49   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
The shop assistant's version of the story is that she didn't want to touch the book as her hands were not clean.

but she would have been touching FOOD with un-clean hands whilst serving others presumably,

Last edited by BLACKBURN RAVER; 17-01-2008 at 00:50. Reason: typo
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 00:53   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN RAVER View Post
but she would have been touching FOOD with un-clean hands whilst serving others presumably,
When do staff in mars and spencers touch food with their hands? its normally in a wrapper of some sort.

I'm sure my friend once mentioned something similar to this, i'm sure she said in her family the women werent allowed to touch their holy books, only the men. It might be different in different muslim families but im pretty sure there is something about women touching holy books that they believe.
Old 17-01-2008, 00:55   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
When do staff in mars and spencers touch food with their hands? its normally in a wrapper of some sort. .

and a book has got a protective plastic/celophane coating!!!

wheres the diff
Old 17-01-2008, 00:57   #20
God Member

Quote:
and a book has got a protective plastic/celophane coating!!!

wheres the diff
Its a religious item. I take it you aren't religious at all?

Like how you cant touch the host with anything but your tongue if your catholic i guess. Just one of the rules. She doesn't mean literally unclean I imagine, just metaphorically speaking.
Old 17-01-2008, 01:02   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Its a religious item. I take it you aren't religious at all?

Like how you cant touch the host with anything but your tongue if your catholic i guess. Just one of the rules. She doesn't mean literally unclean I imagine, just metaphorically speaking.

c of e but i dont necessarily follow it,
Old 17-01-2008, 01:08   #22
God Member

Quote:
c of e but i dont necessarily follow it,
well are there not things in the C of E that you cant touch or say or do? things that may seem a bit odd to someone from a different religion or no reason at all?

I mean, catholics eating what they feel is the body and blood of christ must be odd to someone, and maybe its because catholics have odd ideas that i'm willing to understand someone elses odd ideas too. I dont know.
Old 17-01-2008, 01:14   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
well are there not things in the C of E that you cant touch or say or do? things that may seem a bit odd to someone from a different religion or no reason at all? .
wouldnt know, as i said i dont follow religion, but if i did and i worked in a shop, i would do what i was paid to do and serve them the products they wanted regardless of my faith and beleifs or theirs for that matter !!
Old 17-01-2008, 01:23   #24
God Member

Quote:
wouldnt know, as i said i dont follow religion, but if i did and i worked in a shop, i would do what i was paid to do and serve them the products they wanted regardless of my faith and beleifs or theirs for that matter !!
I dont know what i'd do to be honest. The problem wouldn't have caused that much of an issue really. It'd be much worse if for example a jehovas witness doctor refused to give anyone a blood transfusion ust because of their own beliefs! Same problems occur when catholic nurses/doctors refuse abortions and stuff like that. This is very trivial and its hardly going to become a widescale problem. I think its only being made such a big deal of because it was a muslim girl to be truthful.

So many white people are racist and have problems with foreigners to the point of it being close to xenophobia yet its never in the media, only when we feel the person is playing the race card and then it looks bad on the victim still. Infact the only thing i can ever recall us caring about in regards to race hate from whites and that was when prince harry wore the nazi costume, and that was more likely due to the fact he was a royal, not the costume.

The media is just loads of scandal and lies most of the time. I dont think it matters if she refused to touch the book or not, the main point is is that if she refused to because of her religious beliefs, she did it out of respect for a religion native to our own country, not her own, and I think its nice that she could show that kind of respect even if it caused a problem.

I've also found that it seems they cant touch the quran or read it whilst they are menstruating, perhaps this is what she meant...
Old 17-01-2008, 01:33   #25
Senior Member+

well your going on about religion blah di blah, iv'e allways read/heard/ been told, that muslim woman were not allowed to work, and that it was their place to be at home whilst the man went out to work !!

if so and she was that religious....WHY is she working ??

just a thought...cant pick and choose as to what you beleive in its all or nothing surely !!!
Old 17-01-2008, 01:39   #26
God Member

Quote:
well your going on about religion blah di blah, iv'e allways read/heard/ been told, that muslim woman were not allowed to work, and that it was their place to be at home whilst the man went out to work !!

just a thought...cant pick and choose as to what you beleive in its all or nothing surely !!!
Well as with the english who were also against women working things change but as far as 'english' religions go, mainly denominations of christianity, the teachings dont just change completely over time, and not all aspects change in the same equal manner. Some traditions are kept and some arent.

For example, catholics are considering homosexual priests now, but abortion is still not acceptable. I think its an equality thing mainly. Men allow and accept women to work, particularly as their are fundamental rights that are protected, but some beliefs are just kept and not touching a holy book is one of them, its hardly hurt anyone!
Old 17-01-2008, 01:39   #27
Senior Member+

i stand corrected !!!

god i must be bored and an insomniac

The work of women
Old 17-01-2008, 01:40   #28
God Member

Quote:

Also why do you bother saying your a C of E if you dont know about the religion? Fair enough to not follow it word for word but to not know restrictions entailed in the religion seems a bit strange! Though I'm saying that from a catholic perspective who doesnt necessarily follow word for word but still likes to have the faith and knows what the religions all about.
Old 17-01-2008, 01:43   #29
God Member

Anyway I am going to go now, i have a lecture at 9am
Old 17-01-2008, 01:44   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Also why do you bother saying your a C of E if you dont know about the religion? Fair enough to not follow it word for word but to not know restrictions entailed in the religion seems a bit strange! Though I'm saying that from a catholic perspective who doesnt necessarily follow word for word but still likes to have the faith and knows what the religions all about.

because that it what i have been brought up as, i used to go to church untill i started growing up and it kinda left me !!! im not saying i dont know anything just not fully so im not going to start harping on about it....

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..