Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-01-2008, 19:33   #46
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!
Re: M&S Muslim Refuses To Serve 'Unclean' Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
IMO she is owed an apology.
This could only happen in England, IMHO it's what she would want to happen, sympathy when she should be sacked.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-01-2008, 19:57   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
would she be aware they sold bibles katex? i sure as hell wasn,t whilst i see the sense in what ya say, its hard to think they would list every product on an interview.
Oh Cashy ... dear, oh dear ! It's how you would put a question on interview .. like "Have you any prejudices on selling products to our customers that may cause you some concern ?" Sure Marks have this type of question in their interview guide, etc. Anyway, to me, that is not the issue .. the issue is the attitude she created at the till and in earshot of the customer .. could have been handled differently ( like excused herself for a moment to have a word with her supervisor and excuse that she had to leave the till for other reasons !) Like a veggie commenting on a person buying beefburgers ... you do not do it !

People are strange, bet this assistant loved every minute of it. A chance to show her religious superiority.

Last edited by katex; 17-01-2008 at 20:01.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 20:35   #48
Resident Waffler

It wasn't a prejudice! It was her showing respect for the flippin Bible! Something which is rarely done in Christian society so we just aren't used to it. It probably never occurred to the poor girl that the woman would take offence.

And no, I had no idea that M&S sold Bibles either. I'm sure they don't list all their products when they interview prospective staff.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 21:10   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It wasn't a prejudice! It was her showing respect for the flippin Bible! Something which is rarely done in Christian society so we just aren't used to it. It probably never occurred to the poor girl that the woman would take offence.

And no, I had no idea that M&S sold Bibles either. I'm sure they don't list all their products when they interview prospective staff.
I am talking with my business head on here Willow, not 'respect' for stories from the Bible, etc.

You should not air your opinions in front of the customers no matter what, therefore jeopardising the sale of certain goods by affecting the feelings of the customer, and derogatory to the company that is paying your wages at the end of the day.. that is all there is to it, no matter what the issue is. ! That is way the Marks will view this incident irrespective. Could have been that they were selling Enid Blyton books again, and the assistant refused to handle it to what, in the past, the powers that be considered it bad grammar and not good for young children to read.

I do not believe that the assistant was so naive not to understand that her additude would not upset the customer in a Christian country. If she is, then needs a lesson in good manners.
Old 17-01-2008, 21:24   #50
God Member

It'd be wrong to sack someone because she wouldn't touch something. What if you work in a pet shop and your quite happy to serve on the till but when your asked to handle a rat or a snake or something you fear you refuse? Shoudl you deserve to be sacked just because you dont want to touch something? Even more so when its actually out of RESPECT for something?!

Nobody in their right mind would sack her for it because she'll be dragging them through court cases for breaching her rights and it wont be pleasant. M&S arent going to suffer economically because of this instance, so why should they bother sacking her? Anyone been put off shopping at m&s because someone refused to touch a bible? Very very unlikely
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 21:27   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
It'd be wrong to sack someone because she wouldn't touch something. What if you work in a pet shop and your quite happy to serve on the till but when your asked to handle a rat or a snake or something you fear you refuse? Shoudl you deserve to be sacked just because you dont want to touch something? Even more so when its actually out of RESPECT for something
I agree with Katex, she shouldn't have said anything to the customer, just politely excused herself and asked another member of staff to take over the till.
Old 17-01-2008, 21:29   #52
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I am talking with my business head on here Willow, not 'respect' for stories from the Bible, etc.

You should not air your opinions in front of the customers no matter what, therefore jeopardising the sale of certain goods by affecting the feelings of the customer, and derogatory to the company that is paying your wages at the end of the day.. that is all there is to it, no matter what the issue is. ! That is way the Marks will view this incident irrespective. Could have been that they were selling Enid Blyton books again, and the assistant refused to handle it to what, in the past, the powers that be considered it bad grammar and not good for young children to read.

I do not believe that the assistant was so naive not to understand that her additude would not upset the customer in a Christian country. If she is, then needs a lesson in good manners.
We cant really be classed a religious country in my opinion anymore either. The majority of white people dont follow religion like they used to and unfortunatly the 'christian card' is only really played when people think someones playing the 'muslim card'. Its stupid. We're a secular country. We are also meant to welcome everyone and accept their faith, its why people come to england, because we're alledgedly accepting and equal opportunities and all that. Truth is we aren't, but we shouldn't claim to be a religious country when we arent. Its almost as stupid as living an 'american dream.'
Old 17-01-2008, 21:30   #53
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I agree with Katex, she shouldn't have said anything to the customer, just politely excused herself and asked another member of staff to take over the till.
I'm assuming she told the customer she cant touch the bible with 'dirty hands', which is what all the fuss is about. Even if she had excused herself the story would still be manipulated and be recieving the same affect.

Basically this jus shows how influencial the media is on people, and quite frankly I think its scary.
Old 17-01-2008, 21:34   #54
Resting in Peace

[QUOTE=blazey;518509]It'd be wrong to sack someone because she wouldn't touch something. What if you work in a pet shop and your quite happy to serve on the till but when your asked to handle a rat or a snake or something you fear you refuse? E]

Any company like Marks will surely have job descriptions, and if you are asked to do a task not in your job description, then every right to complain,
so your above does not quite wear with me Blazey .. as would have the right to refuse.
Old 17-01-2008, 21:36   #55
God Member

Quote:
What if you work in a pet shop and your quite happy to serve on the till but when your asked to handle a rat or a snake or something you fear you refuse?
Why would anyone take the job in the first place if they can't handle things like that ?
Old 17-01-2008, 21:38   #56
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Thanks Lilly for your support.. they just 'aint getting it are they ?
Old 17-01-2008, 21:40   #57
Resident Waffler

Quote:

You should not air your opinions in front of the customers no matter what, therefore jeopardising the sale of certain goods by affecting the feelings of the customer, and derogatory to the company that is paying your wages at the end of the day.. that is all there is to it, no matter what the issue is. !

But she wasn't airing an opinion. She was showing her respect for the book and the customer by not wishing to defile it. She was the one unclean (for reasons we know not) NOT the flippin book!!!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 21:40   #58
God Member

Quote:
because we're alledgedly accepting and equal opportunities and all that.
So are most developed countries, yet it's a damn sight more difficult to get in to them. Unless of course there are other reasons they come here with no money, no job and nowhere to live
Old 17-01-2008, 21:42   #59
God Member

Quote:
Thanks Lilly for your support.. they just 'aint getting it are they ?

LOL. No, it seems not.
Old 17-01-2008, 21:43   #60
God Member

Quote:
But she wasn't airing an opinion. She was showing her respect for the book and the customer by not wishing to defile it. She was the one unclean (for reasons we know not) NOT the flippin book!!!
She still shouldn't have said anything about unclean to the customer, just politely excused herself.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..