Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-10-2011, 03:21   #16
God Member

Re: Metal Theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
How would this work for say a plumber who takes scrap into the scrap yard twice a year for a drink at christmas, he is now having to have photo id and bacs payments for a few quids worth of legitimate scrap.It seems to me that this is just a back door entrance for yet another tax where payments can be traced etc to gain revenue for hm government. This is another example of us being born free and taxed to death
Where is your caravan parked up, chummy? This is exactly the sort of comment we expect from our traveller friends - pay no taxes and get summat for nowt. It seems to me that most law abiding people - including plumbers - will be more than happy to see a few changes in the system in order to break the blight of metal theft.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-10-2011, 09:15   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
How would this work for say a plumber who takes scrap into the scrap yard twice a year for a drink at christmas, he is now having to have photo id and bacs payments for a few quids worth of legitimate scrap.It seems to me that this is just a back door entrance for yet another tax where payments can be traced etc to gain revenue for hm government. This is another example of us being born free and taxed to death
Every firm I ever work for did that WM. When I worked for Valley Refrigeration, we had a place called the graveyard where we dumped old commercial fridges and freezers, then twice a year we had a wrecking session and split the proceeding between everyone at the firm except the boss
Old 14-10-2011, 09:17   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Where is your caravan parked up, chummy? This is exactly the sort of comment we expect from our traveller friends - pay no taxes and get summat for nowt. It seems to me that most law abiding people - including plumbers - will be more than happy to see a few changes in the system in order to break the blight of metal theft.
The idea is to clamp down on thieves not to penalise hard working tradesmen who are hard pressed enough
Old 14-10-2011, 12:36   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The idea is to clamp down on thieves not to penalise hard working tradesmen who are hard pressed enough
So your idea is to let things stand as they are? Please give us a better idea to that of stopping cash transactions on scrap metal. And if not, why should this business be different than every other?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 13:20   #20

Seems there is differant kinds of stealing. All depending on your outlook.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 18:52   #21
God Member

Lets face it, any amendment they make in parliament will probably be a law to replace all metal with plastic rather than take action against the scum that steal it.
Old 14-10-2011, 19:03   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
If for instance the pipe has been removed from a household where the plumber/builder has been working and deemed it to be obsolete tax will already have been paid when first purchased, so now you want the plumber/builder to be taxed on it again thats good "chummy". I pay more than enough tax unlike many others who pay none at all and never have and never will, the law abiding among us would be all to happy to see a change for the better in ILLEGAL scrap but it seems that again only the ones with a legitimate business would suffer having to pay for the few scumbags who abuse the system as it is.They tried the same with waste and brought in transfer licenses and all that mallarky.That worked didnt it fly tipping stopped at once and the local "tree surgeons , rubbish removal experts" rushed out to apply for theirs in droves, so what makes you think that nerdowells and thieves will take any notice of this? I await your answer with baited breath "chummy".!!!!!
Old 14-10-2011, 19:08   #23

Would not said pipe belong to householder? If he chooses to give it awat then fair enough, take it without asking is theft.
Old 14-10-2011, 19:16   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
Would not said pipe belong to householder? If he chooses to give it awat then fair enough, take it without asking is theft.
Not really as when replacing pipework or anything with new, quote will generally say remove replace and clear site, if you take out a window or a fireplace does the customer want it leaving in the house with the builder saying "thats yours you get rid of it"
Old 15-10-2011, 07:41   #25
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Not really as when replacing pipework or anything with new, quote will generally say remove replace and clear site, if you take out a window or a fireplace does the customer want it leaving in the house with the builder saying "thats yours you get rid of it"
If its an old cast iron fireplace I just might be selling it on myself.

As for windows, we saved the leaded windows when the bay was replaced, we just let the fitters take the rubbish away.
Old 15-10-2011, 09:27   #26

If i'm not mistaken part of the bill will be for removing any rubbish.
Old 15-10-2011, 17:29   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
If its an old cast iron fireplace I just might be selling it on myself.

As for windows, we saved the leaded windows when the bay was replaced, we just let the fitters take the rubbish away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
If i'm not mistaken part of the bill will be for removing any rubbish.
So by what your saying here a contractor removing anything from a job he is doing when the material is deemed obsolete or the homeowner makes no move to have them leave it for them, is stealing it. Just as the people BREAKING into substations, power compounds, rail yards and houses etc are stealing the scrap.I think you need to adjust your radar a little or summat because its nowhere near the same
Old 15-11-2011, 11:13   #28
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Jeremy Vine discussing metal theft on radio 2 today, I wonder if Graham will be on?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 12:19   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Jeremy Vine discussing metal theft on radio 2 today, I wonder if Graham will be on?

He was on BBC Regional News this morning
Old 15-11-2011, 18:05   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
He was on BBC Regional News this morning
TV news Dave, didn't watch the 3 hour show for once but didn't see him on 4 bulletins I watched

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..