Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-11-2011, 18:59   #46
Resting in Peace

Re: Metal Theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Well hope away.

It ain't happenin'.
Theres no hiding place
Old 16-11-2011, 19:05   #47
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Theres no hiding place
Well there doesn't seem to be on here.

Perhaps the mythical '95% of people don't give a toss about Europe' in the rest of Hyndburn, will provide him with a little comforting sanctuary.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 19:22   #48
I am Banned

Quote:
Well?

Where are these 'facts', to back up that statement?

We look forward to you providing actual evidence, which will prove it as being the truth.

I do hope it's not anymore of your meaningless politico-speak, you've so easily learned the language of.

A thousand jobs here, within ten years...perhaps. A thousand jobs there.

That sort of thing.

95%?

The evidence?

I hope to goodness you can actually come up with some.

Because with the meaningless waffle you've been posting on here recently, your credibility's heading towards zero.

The evidence...

Can't wait.

Gari, lets have a poll of Accy Web users, to find the 95%, all who visit the thread must vote, the vote can be made compulsory, with a 1 month ban, if you don't vote on visting the page.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 19:28   #49
Give, give, give member

Little tip.

People on here. Real people.

Not the '95% of people don't give a toss about Europe', who live in your head.

They're sick and fed up at being lied to, talked down to, and ignored by politicans, except in the run up to elections, of course.

Politicans who come on here, and use this forum only to preach their own propaganda, and who now think they aren't really getting the appreciation, that they think they deserve.

No childhood memories, no silly jokes, no tips for getting rust marks off lino.

Preach, preach, preach.

The same old lessons we are supposed to take notice of, and learn from, read from the party Bible.

Accy Web members got tired of local councillors doing this, and now they're scarcer than hen's teeth.

If that's all you're here to do, well...

I'm sure Accy Web will survive.

Old 16-11-2011, 19:33   #50
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Gari, lets have a poll of Accy Web users, to find the 95%, all who visit the thread must vote, the vote can be made compulsory, with a 1 month ban, if you don't vote on visting the page.

Retlaw

We'll give him a day.

He's probably sat there, with his foot in his mouth, whilst banging his head slowly against the wall, of his ever so humble home.

Let him search, then provide the evidence, once he's stopped.

To prove he's telling the truth, and it isn't a lie.

A day.

Old 16-11-2011, 19:53   #51
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
No one shuffled near me. There was some interest, slightly more the usual.

As a working class person who resides up Plantation Street I to find hard to swallow that you would kick ordinary struggling Accy families in the teeth when it is a fact that 95% of people don't give a toss about Europe but do care about jobs and the economy. As a WC person I'll say what I think, you are letting us down.

Cedar Stret/Hodder Street resident 23 years. Accy resident 45 years.
Graham, I would like to tell you(respectfully) that you are wrong if you think that 95% of people don't give a toss about Europe.....that view may be convenient for you, but it is not correct.
The biggest worries for the ordinary man/woman in the street are those around immigration and the EU.

I travel on buses and listen to conversations of ordinary people, and the constant topic of interest is the EU and the erosion of democracy....of not being in control of our own destiny....mainly because decisions which our government should be in control of are being dealt with from Brussels.

The EU wants closer political integration and closer financial integration...they see this being the solution to all the ills that currently beset the union, the British people do not want to become further entangled in the corrupt organisation that is Europe.......which currently seems at this moment to be ruled/directed by France and Germany.

How long will it be before Merkel and Sarkozy decide that we need a leader who is more in tune with the EU and nominates Nick Clegg(a dedicated europhile) as leader.
You are going to laugh and tell me that this cannot happen....won't happen. But I'm not so sure.

We, the people, did not get a chance to give our views....if we had, you would see that what you have said is not true.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 20:00   #52
Beacon of light

Graham, I have to say that when you were elected I expected you to do great things.
You know Accrington. The people are real to you, you have rubbed shoulders with them, joked with them, had a pint with them.

All I can say now is that I am very disappointed that you haven't lived up to expectations...not just mine, but those who you were elected to represent.
Maybe it is our fault...we expected too much.

Blessed is he who expects nothing - he will never know disappointment.
Old 16-11-2011, 20:01   #53
Give, give, give member

Quote:
it is a fact that 95% of people don't give a toss about Europe but do care about jobs and the economy.
Credit where credit's due though.

Well done.

Congratulations, in turning this into yet one more European Union thread.

Old 16-11-2011, 20:04   #54
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Graham, I have to say that when you were elected I expected you to do great things.
You know Accrington. The people are real to you, you have rubbed shoulders with them, joked with them, had a pint with them.

All I can say now is that I am very disappointed that you haven't lived up to expectations...not just mine, but those who you were elected to represent.
Maybe it is our fault...we expected too much.

Blessed is he who expects nothing - he will never know disappointment.
Echoes my own thoughts exactly.

I'm genuinely sad to say.

Old 16-11-2011, 20:19   #55
God Member

Quote:
No one shuffled near me. There was some interest, slightly more the usual.

As a working class person who resides up Plantation Street I to find hard to swallow that you would kick ordinary struggling Accy families in the teeth when it is a fact that 95% of people don't give a toss about Europe but do care about jobs and the economy. As a WC person I'll say what I think, you are letting us down.

Cedar Stret/Hodder Street resident 23 years. Accy resident 45 years.
Oh Dear. I appear to have upset the Honourable Member for Hyndburn and Haslingden. But I can’t in the least think why. Certainly, like most people on this forum I am fully aware of the direct and indirect financial costs of metal theft and of the unquantifiable distress caused by those criminal acts involving the destruction of war memorials and grave plaques. That is why I asked in post No 9 on this thread what exactly was being proposed in GJ’s bill, to which he gave a detailed reply in post No 13. In post No’s 16 & 19 I fully backed the outlawing of cash transactions in answer to a few subsequent posts defending the lamentable status quo.

Being aware that GJ was due to present his Private Members Bill before the House this week, I checked on the Commons timetable to find exactly when. The 10 minute period allocated for GJ’s bill was immediately after questions to the deputy PM and the Attorney General, so being unsure exactly how long those would last I tuned in to the BBC Parliament Channel at 11.30am. Clegg gave his usual waffle and that was followed by the AG and the Solicitor General mainly answering questions on the passports and border fiasco (this was at the same time as Brodie Clark was being grilled in a committee room, which was being shown live on BBC News 24).

The Commons chamber was certainly not anywhere near full for these questions. Upon completion at 1pm, there was a partial exodus from the chamber and GJ’s name was called by the speaker, where he had been sat on the opposition benches at the rear of the chamber. At that point, several of his labour colleagues rose from their previous seating position and went and sat directly next to him as he rose to begin his speech. This was clearly visible on the TV picture and this is what I referred to when I said they shuffled in beside him. This is of course, now the normal practice for an MP’s colleagues to group alongside him when a lengthy statement is in progress.

I stand by my marking of 7/10. I am not a GCSE or ‘A’ level marker so I don’t go in for grade inflation and summat for nowt. However, given that the highest mark I have given for a parliamentary speech is 9/10 (and that was when I was in the Strangers Gallery for the Saturday morning Falklands debate of 1982), and the average is 5/10, then I would have thought that GJ would have been relatively pleased. I certainly don’t give any allowance for inexperience which if I was to, would have made it an 8/10. But it’s not my marking that counts – it’s that of the House. There was not one call against the bill proceeding to the next stage. So congratulations on this point to GJ and we all trust it will go all the way to the Palace for Her Majesties signature and a new and much needed law for her noble realm.

But now things get really puzzling. Why would I want to kick ordinary struggling families in the teeth? When I’m not in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets - which on most scores is regarded as either the poorest or second poorest borough in the country - I’m back in Church, (which is not exactly the poshest part of Hyndburn) and when I’m there I stay in the same terraced house I was in as a resident new born 55 years ago.

Initially, I left Church for higher education in 1974; that was shortly after the UK had joined the EU. There was still plenty of jobs then – I spent several summers working at Ewbank, Arnolds and various other companies and it was never too difficult to get a job even though Accy was certainly not the most prosperous of towns. The intervening years, however – coinciding with our membership of the EEC/EU - have been an absolute economic and social disaster for Hyndburn. The vast majority of people, while they may not know the intricate details of the Lisbon or Maastricht treaties or the workings of the CAP are fully aware of the link between that membership and the borough’s decline and fall.

I am more than prepared – as are others on here – to have a serious debate with GJ about the costs, consequences and ‘benefits’ of our continuing membership of the EU. Anytime, Mr Jones. But in the interim, may I possibly suggest that you avoid posts such as your last which is no more than a silly little insult. I’ll tell you what – I’ll even give you a starter for the debate. I mentioned Arnolds earlier on. This company – now Express Gifts – is, I believe, the largest private employer in Hyndburn. When I worked there, the workforce – about 600 – was all British. Now half the workforce is Eastern European. That is entirely due to our membership of the EU and the Labour government’s decision to allow workers into the UK from the accession states (most of the rest of the EU said ‘no’ to ‘em). If you are truly concerned about jobs for the people of Hyndburn – especially the younger ones – then how can you defend this stupidity?

Last edited by Tealeaf; 16-11-2011 at 20:24.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 20:26   #56
Beacon of light

Tealeaf, I am not your biggest fan, but that post is a cracker.
well said....you and me must be in the lowly 5% of folk who care about the EU and how it has wrecked the fabric of our nation, diluted out traditions and eaten into everything that we hold dear.
Alas Graham cannot see that....or perhaps more to the point, doesn't want to see it.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 16-11-2011 at 20:29.
Old 16-11-2011, 20:39   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Tealeaf, I am not your biggest fan,
That's because you've never met me.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 20:49   #58
God Member

Yup ... great post Tealeaf

I just can't for the life of me see why the major political parties are so intent on keeping Britain in the EU If it's obvious to those of us in the New World (and to eighty ballsy tory backbenchers) that the monstrosity is coming apart at the seams, and threatening economies all over the world, why can't they see it? If the EU were an automobile, it would be hooked up to a tow truck and on the way to the wreckers. It's unworkable .... no amount of fixing or patching will make it work. Not even Red Green with a truck load of duct tape could fix it.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 20:55   #59
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Are the 5% that give a flying whatsit about the referendum 100% accyweb members or is there a small percentage made up from the rest of Hyndburn?
I do find it difficult to guesstimate anything factual from figures that just seem to have been plucked from the air.
Is this all we can expect from now on? Or will our elected representatives actually realise that we and indeed the whole of Hyndburn may have been foolish enough to put them in charge but without a reasonable explanation for their actions, by heck i reckon we might just vote at the earliest opportunity to relieve them of this burdensome responsibility we seem to have placed on them.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 21:03   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
No.

I'll carry on posting that question, in every thread he ever posts in, until the cows come home.

Or, until he has the decency to answer, what many people want to know.

I don't think this will do you any favours, Garinda, sabotaging other threads on issues which people wish to discuss.

Perhaps, Graham may answer your published letter in The Observer tomorrow ?

Anyway, cows come home in the mornings, don't they .. to be milked ? Perhaps you should join them at times.. x
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..