Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-11-2010, 13:05   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Minimum Price Alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Me!
Ok how many pubs have closed or on last legs? since the ban, also how many more than YOU are ya aware of? also how many drink at home, specially in bad weather since the ban?
Old 28-11-2010, 15:39   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Ok how many pubs have closed or on last legs? since the ban, also how many more than YOU are ya aware of? also how many drink at home, specially in bad weather since the ban?
Sadly it is yet another case of people that don't play the game making the rules.

We are all aware of the dangers but we put other people first in so much as we fund the services that provide the more wealthy with the care they are to tight to pay for themselves.Or to put it in the words of Alf Garnett we do it for Britain.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 16:45   #18
Senior Member+

The ban on smoking in pubs came in UK long before it did in France, so when I went to Portsmouth to do a 3 month contract I came across the ban in full flow - even with "police" checking places out.
It was quite obvious in the Portsmouth/Gosport/Fareham and surrounding areas, that pubs who had good smoking areas, and I do mean good, even though it was summer, were the ones that were thriving - the ones who didn't cater for smokers, quite often due to location, were suffering very badly.
One thing that really P'd me off was that the bar in the House of Commons was exempt from the ban initially.
Even though I don't smoke now, I do not find much pleasure in going into a pub/club for a drink, unless United are on the TV or it is an Accyweb Meet.
It does not bother me one little bit when others smoke in my company - which surprises me somewhat.
Old 28-11-2010, 17:10   #19
God Member

Look, there's a simple solution to the problem of (cheap) alcohol abuse and minimum pricing is not it. What needs to be done is quite simple. Licenses to sell alcohol are withdrawn from every corner shop and licenses to sell alcohol (other than wines and spirits) are withdrawn from every supermarket. That just leaves your traditional pubs selling alcohol in volume and as such you reinstitute control on who is drinking and by how much. And you also keep traditional pubs alive.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 17:25   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Look, there's a simple solution to the problem of (cheap) alcohol abuse and minimum pricing is not it. What needs to be done is quite simple. Licenses to sell alcohol are withdrawn from every corner shop and licenses to sell alcohol (other than wines and spirits) are withdrawn from every supermarket. That just leaves your traditional pubs selling alcohol in volume and as such you reinstitute control on who is drinking and by how much. And you also keep traditional pubs alive.
Good idea - but, get a cheap ferry over to France and buy 90 litres for between less than 50p a pint (7.9%). You can't stop it either, so everything just goes black market, like it has with tobacco.
Old 28-11-2010, 17:28   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
As far as I'm aware Peter hasn't even mentioned it and it isn't a Tory-bash either, it's just a rail against a potential forthcoming stupid knee-jerk reaction to a few badly-edited news reports. They were that desperate for interviews on the radio on Friday that they collared an 83 year old woman who had slipped coming out of a pub.

I'm sure there are plenty of medical bods who will say that Friday and Saturday see a rise in the number of people hurt through drink but I've never been one of them and I don't know anyone who has been either. Too few dictating to too many yet again.

An example of this cropped up at my surgery yesterday. For years, one particular residents group has been screaming that lower Rishton needs a bus shelter and that everyone complains about not having one so we allocated the funds and agreed that since it directly affected the front of one or two houses we would let the residents themselves have the final say.

All of those shouting about the weight of public opinion on getting a new shelter.....didn't turn up.
Oh how people change when they get elected they can't tell when someone is taking the urine any more
Old 28-11-2010, 17:30   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Works for me Tealeaf, but you know as well as I do it want happen mate
Old 28-11-2010, 20:48   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Works for me Tealeaf, but you know as well as I do it want happen mate
Yeah! And you know why? Because the retailers will all quote European law on restraint of trade. And your Tory/Lib Dem government - the biggest surrender merchants in British history - won't do a dam thing.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 09:07   #24
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
As for pricing of alcohol, the suggestion has been to make the minimum price 50p per unit to get rid of cheap 2 for 1 supermarket and off licence offers. It equates to a pound a pint, so unless there are any pubs selling beer below that level, they won't be affected.
Quote:
Secondly, it only equates to a pound a pint if beer is of a certain strength and that would push most real ale past the £3 a pint mark. Also, if what you say were true then we should be seeing pints sold for less than a quid now and we aren't.
Maths time again.

Taken from here Real Ale Pub Online

Quote:
One unit of alcohol is equivalent to the amount in half a pint of 3.6% abv beer.
To work out the number of units of alcohol in one pint of your favourite real ale, you can use this handy formula – 0.568 x %abv = number of units. Units calculation is based on volume of the drink in millilitres (568 in a pint) x 0.001 x % alcohol by volume. Example 1: One pint of 4.8%abv beer = 2.73 units (568 x 0.001 x 4.8 = 2.73) : Example 2: One 125ml glass of wine @12%abv = 1.5 units (125 x 0.001 x 12 = 1.5).
So if

0.568 x %abv = number of units

then

%abv = number of units / 0.568

So here we go folk

£3 / 50p = 6 Units

6 / 0.568 = 10.56 % abv

You drink some wicked real ale. Some wine is only that %abv so you could get a pint of wine for £3

If you don't believe me about the wine read this

From Alcoholic beverage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Wine is produced from grapes, and fruit wine is produced from fruits such as plums, cherries, or apples. Wine involves a longer (complete) fermentation process and a long aging process (months or years) that results in an alcohol content of 9%–16% ABV. Sparkling wine can be made by adding a small amount of sugar before bottling, which causes a secondary fermentation to occur in the bottle.
0.568 x 9 = 5.1 units 5.1 * 50p = £2.55
0.568 x 16 = 9.1 units 9.1 * 50p = £4.55

If my maths are wrong is because I drank too much whiskey last night

Last edited by Neil; 29-11-2010 at 09:12.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 09:20   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yeah! And you know why? Because the retailers will all quote European law on restraint of trade. And your Tory/Lib Dem government - the biggest surrender merchants in British history - won't do a dam thing.
Wouldn't have had to do if that DH Brown hadn't signed the Lisbon Treaty
Old 29-11-2010, 09:25   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Maths time again.

Taken from here Real Ale Pub Online

So if

0.568 x %abn = number of units

then

%abn = number of units / 0.568

So here we go folk

£3 / 50p = 6 Units

6 / 0.568 = 10.56 % abv

You drink some wicked real ale. Some wine is only that %abv so you could get a pint of wine for £3

If you don't believe me about the wine read this

From Alcoholic beverage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

0.568 x 9 = 5.1 units 5.1 * 50p = £2.55
0.568 x 16 = 9.1 units 9.1 * 50p = £4.55

The thing is the price of a pint in the local pub wouldn't be effected, the average pint is around £2 or saw I'm told saw a minimum 50p a unit would have no effect
Old 29-11-2010, 12:37   #27
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Maths time again.

If you're working that out from what I put in my post then fine but a pint of ale costs you a good £2.30 at best in a pub (Wetherspoons being the honourable exception) so although your maths works in theory, it reality it's the stuff of fairytales.

Do as many sums as you like, minimum pricing will make beer more expensive in pubs.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 13:11   #28
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
If you're working that out from what I put in my post then fine but a pint of ale costs you a good £2.30 at best in a pub (Wetherspoons being the honourable exception) so although your maths works in theory, it reality it's the stuff of fairytales.

Do as many sums as you like, minimum pricing will make beer more expensive in pubs.

Why will it? If the suggestion is 50p per unit it wont change most pub prices.
Old 29-11-2010, 13:38   #29
God Member

*cough* home brew..... *cough*

you can make booze very cheaply, if you price people out of the legit stuff you just encourage the moonshine business and people buying knock off vodka ( or is that industrial alcohol..... ) that will make them go blind.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 14:59   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Why will it? If the suggestion is 50p per unit it wont change most pub prices.
Neill, forget the price WE pay in a pub.What does the landlord pay the brewery? If IT works out at less than 50p/unit the brewery will have to charge HIM more so to survive he'll have to charge US more!Pure profit for the brewery.
Also the supermarkets will make a fortune- this rise will be pure profit for them as well.
If the Government put tax up so you couldn't buy cheap beer I wouldn't like it but at least the money might save us being taxed more some other way. As it is the Government are proposing 50p/unit minimum price, not a tax increase, so the only beneficiaries are the sellers.Where can I get some shares in Tesco/Asda?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..