Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-03-2012, 10:05   #106
Resting in Peace

Re: Minimum Price Alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
yes John, I know that, but many pubs opened for longer hours.....longer hours mean bigger heating and lighting bills and more staff........and there must be times when it really isn't worth opening for.
There are a lot of pubs that don't open at dinner time Margaret, they pick their own hours, so they can manage what times they open, although I don't really agree with 24 hour drinking, I have to say that even before it became law, you could find places so you could drink very long hours if you were that way inclined, I always knew just where I could get a bit of "after time" when I was on the lash
Old 26-03-2012, 10:23   #107
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
There are a lot of pubs that don't open at dinner time Margaret, they pick their own hours, so they can manage what times they open, although I don't really agree with 24 hour drinking, I have to say that even before it became law, you could find places so you could drink very long hours if you were that way inclined, I always knew just where I could get a bit of "after time" when I was on the lash
While thats correct as i meself can testify to,Yer missing n important point mate,= Knob Heads were not allowed to stop behind.
Old 26-03-2012, 11:57   #108
Beacon of light

yes, John....I am aware of the lock ins...but, as Cashy says, the Landlords were choosy who they allowed to saty behind after closing time.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 14:56   #109
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
While thats correct as i meself can testify to,Yer missing n important point mate,= Knob Heads were not allowed to stop behind.

Did they let you stay or were you politely asked to leave
Old 26-03-2012, 15:43   #110
Senior Member+

Hoorah Henry's (or Tories) also get legless and do stupid things except they can afford to do it on bottles of expensive champagne - so Cameron's minimum price will only hit the poor - as usual!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 17:24   #111
Beacon of light

No, it won't hit the poor. It will hit those who buy supermarket loss leaders and two for one, and reduced price alcohol......those are the drinks that some people 'pre-load' on before setting off to the pub....so they are already half cut when they get to the pub........there is a difference between them, and those folk who are poor.
Old 26-03-2012, 20:07   #112
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
No, it won't hit the poor. It will hit those who buy supermarket loss leaders and two for one, and reduced price alcohol......those are the drinks that some people 'pre-load' on before setting off to the pub....so they are already half cut when they get to the pub........there is a difference between them, and those folk who are poor.
Those who get drunk at home and then go to the pub I wouldn't say are poor but are earning a wage. It will hit the poor as well who get drunk at home!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 21:05   #113
Beacon of light

So, as I said, it won't hit the poor at all.

Poor people can't afford money for alcohol...even cheap stuff(because you have to spend money to take advantage of the offer)........poorer people(and there is a difference) may have a drink at home, but not necessarily get drunk.
Old 26-03-2012, 21:11   #114
Senior Member+

If you are truly poor the last thing you are thinking about buying is booze, food and heat etc may come first, unless your addicted of course
Old 31-03-2012, 10:39   #115
Senior Member+

I have seen Frosty Jack go for as little £3.00 per 3 litre bottle.

wow that is 6 pints at 50p per pint!

I am fussy with beer. John smiths/Carling you may as well pee in a bottle and add vodka... I would rather drink Frosty Jack (and that is saying something! ewwww)

I am happy paying around £3.40 for a pint of Henry Weston's cider-- They did have this on draft at Calder at some point. For a stronger cider it is a great pint!. I used to like warsteiner but nobody seems to serve that any more.

Being able to smoke in a pub won't fill them again. A smoking room is a good idea. In fact I have spent more time in pubs after the ban than before. The problem is definitely with the pricing and not if you can smoke or not. Pubs like Queens, Last orders, Spread eagle, Imperial... They all seem to be full. Because the pints are under £2. But I won't go there because the beer is crap. Ken is right on that one!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancashire Lassie View Post
good man!! I also love to relax with a glass of wine myself!! shouldnt punish the good people should they eh x
oooo I bet you are missing it at the moment though haha......Do I spot a friend here in Lancashire Lassie's avatar
Old 31-03-2012, 16:06   #116

Well i must agree on that one cashman but i don,t drink any more but you are right in what you are saying.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..