Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-11-2010, 08:59   #1
Common Sense Member

Minimum Price Alcohol

I've not really been around for a few days but it was all over the news on Friday about some north west councils looking to introduce the minimum price on alcohol in an effort to reduce alcohol-related incidents at weekend. Now either I am fortunate enough to live in an area that is magnificently low on that score (and indeed again when I lived in Lostock Hall) or the media is blowing this out of all proportion.

Some genius on the radio said that this will not impact on sensible drinkers but the question really is how? Price up for one is price up for all and the relief at saving a few quid a week when Asda put their wine back down to 3 for £10 was palapable, as a glass of wine is the only release I have from work.

The pubs are on their arse as it is, how many more pleasures are we going to have taxed out of our price range? I am not happy about this and will fight tooth and nail to keep it out of Hyndburn.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-11-2010, 09:01   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Minimum Price Alcohol

Think it was Manchester Ken never heard of any council round here thinking of it
Old 28-11-2010, 09:06   #3
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think it was Manchester Ken never heard of any council round here thinking of it
There are a few councils considering it and the fact that it's even in the national debate at all means that it's on the doorstep. I know you're suffering from enforced abstinence but think of those of us who have a good 40 or 50 years of drinking left in us!

The smoking laws have done enough damage to pubs by not being flexible, let's not make the same mistake with beer.

Last edited by Neil; 29-11-2010 at 08:40.
Old 28-11-2010, 09:27   #4
God Member

We have laws in this country because there are a minoirty of people who think they can live how they want, therefore the majority accept the law because of the minority.

I can think of nothing better for this country than raising the price of a pint to £20 and a gram of weed to £500
lancsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 09:37   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
We have laws in this country because there are a minoirty of people who think they can live how they want, therefore the majority accept the law because of the minority.

I can think of nothing better for this country than raising the price of a pint to £20 and a gram of weed to £500
You missed out petrol @ £20 a gallon.

Nobody smoking,drinking or driving,Would save the NHS a fortune in fact to hear the do-gooders talk we wouldn't need it.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 09:42   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
The smoking laws have done enough damage to pubs by not being flexible, let's not make the same mistake with beer.
Not sure how you can be flexible with a smoking ban. There either IS one or there ISN'T.

The ban has to be seen in a long term context. Yes, some people have stopped going to pubs because they can't have a smoke, but others are being drawn to them by the cleaner atmosphere, and the knowledge their clothes won't smell like a used ash tray next morning.

As for pricing of alcohol, the suggestion has been to make the minimum price 50p per unit to get rid of cheap 2 for 1 supermarket and off licence offers. It equates to a pound a pint, so unless there are any pubs selling beer below that level, they won't be affected.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 09:46   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete
to hear the do-gooders
Talking of whom, there's what could be an interesting 3 part series starting on BBC2 tomorrow at 9pm.

Ian Hislop's Age of the Do-Gooders
Ian Hislop rescues the reputation of the 'Do-Gooders' who he believes fixed the 19th century's version of 'broken Britain'
BBC - Press Office - Ian Hislop to celebrate "do-gooders" in new BBC Two series

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 09:49   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
You missed out petrol @ £20 a gallon.
No chance , I drive
lancsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 09:50   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Not sure how you can be flexible with a smoking ban. There either IS one or there ISN'T.

The ban has to be seen in a long term context. Yes, some people have stopped going to pubs because they can't have a smoke, but others are being drawn to them by the cleaner atmosphere, and the knowledge their clothes won't smell like a used ash tray next morning.

As for pricing of alcohol, the suggestion has been to make the minimum price 50p per unit to get rid of cheap 2 for 1 supermarket and off licence offers. It equates to a pound a pint, so unless there are any pubs selling beer below that level, they won't be affected.
Take no notice gynn, its only Ken Sabre rattling again, latter on in he thread no doubt it will be Britcliffes idea Well he ain't had a pop at him for a coule of weeks has he
Old 28-11-2010, 09:52   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

What a load of rubbish, have spoken to quite a few landlords/stewards since the ban n "ALL" say it has had a big effect on trade,i was workin in a club fer a good while when it was introduced, many remarked that "Where" are these Non Smokers that are supposed to be coming.
Old 28-11-2010, 10:14   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
What a load of rubbish, have spoken to quite a few landlords/stewards since the ban n "ALL" say it has had a big effect on trade,i was workin in a club fer a good while when it was introduced, many remarked that "Where" are these Non Smokers that are supposed to be coming.
Me!
Old 28-11-2010, 10:33   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Me!
Not bad for a person that sleeps 80 times a day.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 10:36   #13
Senior Member+

Its all that smoke free alcohol that sends me off!

Old 28-11-2010, 11:03   #14
Common Sense Member

Quote:

There are quite a few flaws in your reasoning there.

Firstly, I said smoking laws, not flexibility on a ban. If there were dedicated smoking rooms or even smoking pubs then the story would be much different. I won't deny that it is nice to come home and not need a shower before bed but the lack of smokers has killed pub atmospheres stone dead in many cases.

Secondly, it only equates to a pound a pint if beer is of a certain strength and that would push most real ale past the £3 a pint mark. Also, if what you say were true then we should be seeing pints sold for less than a quid now and we aren't.

This is another prime example of the nanny state angling for another stealth tax. I didn't agree with the smoking ban and I don't agree with this.

Old 28-11-2010, 11:10   #15
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Take no notice gynn, its only Ken Sabre rattling again, latter on in he thread no doubt it will be Britcliffes idea Well he ain't had a pop at him for a coule of weeks has he
As far as I'm aware Peter hasn't even mentioned it and it isn't a Tory-bash either, it's just a rail against a potential forthcoming stupid knee-jerk reaction to a few badly-edited news reports. They were that desperate for interviews on the radio on Friday that they collared an 83 year old woman who had slipped coming out of a pub.

I'm sure there are plenty of medical bods who will say that Friday and Saturday see a rise in the number of people hurt through drink but I've never been one of them and I don't know anyone who has been either. Too few dictating to too many yet again.

An example of this cropped up at my surgery yesterday. For years, one particular residents group has been screaming that lower Rishton needs a bus shelter and that everyone complains about not having one so we allocated the funds and agreed that since it directly affected the front of one or two houses we would let the residents themselves have the final say.

All of those shouting about the weight of public opinion on getting a new shelter.....didn't turn up.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..