Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2010, 09:27   #76
Resting in Peace

Re: Minimum Price Alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Except that Courage beers aren't cheap, John. Mass-produced slop for the most part, I'll give you that!

Had a few pints of Robinsons Dizzy Blonde by the furnace last night, it makes winter working tolerable to know something of that quality is waiting for you at the end of the day.
We I always said ya need courage to drink it Ken, funny thing is when I worked for Lancs Barfitters nearly every fitter drank Guinness because it mattered very little were you were it was the same, if you got a bad pint of Guinness you left the pub because the other beer would be rubbish too
Old 03-12-2010, 09:39   #77

They can put it up for me i don,t drink
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 14:23   #78
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
You have either absolutely no taste or would drink bath water if told it contained Alcohol "Schultheiss" should be banned under "Humming rights" or the Geneva convention ! In fact both, it's terrible stuff only reason it's cheap is because it's abysmal !
You must make allowances - he was a humble squaddie
Old 03-12-2010, 14:26   #79
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by setayas View Post
Also, stop being posh. The best beer to drink in Berlin was Shultheiss
Don't like the Avatar - the dog was better, besides Tiggers don't roar, they bounce
Old 09-12-2010, 15:56   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I've not really been around for a few days but it was all over the news on Friday about some north west councils looking to introduce the minimum price on alcohol in an effort to reduce alcohol-related incidents at weekend. Now either I am fortunate enough to live in an area that is magnificently low on that score (and indeed again when I lived in Lostock Hall) or the media is blowing this out of all proportion.

Some genius on the radio said that this will not impact on sensible drinkers but the question really is how? Price up for one is price up for all and the relief at saving a few quid a week when Asda put their wine back down to 3 for £10 was palapable, as a glass of wine is the only release I have from work.

The pubs are on their arse as it is, how many more pleasures are we going to have taxed out of our price range? I am not happy about this and will fight tooth and nail to keep it out of Hyndburn.

good man!! I also love to relax with a glass of wine myself!! shouldnt punish the good people should they eh x

- Look in the mirror before you start to judge others -
Lancashire Lassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 08:55   #81
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Once again the spectre rises. What I take issue with is that they've identified were the problem lies (allegedly) so instead of solely dealing with the cause, they intend applying blanket coverage so even the "reasonable drinkers" are hit too.

How very political

Theresa May defends government alcohol pricing plans - Home News - UK - The Independent
Old 24-03-2012, 16:45   #82
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

This is another example of the police and the courts not doing their job. If there is town centre violence fuelled by drink as she says then deal with the offender very harshly.

The problem is not the price of the alcohol, it is obviously the amount consumed and I don't think the price will change that.

Some people think the only way they can have a good night out is to get totally falling down drunk. I could never understand that personally but I don't think increasing the price will help.

I think the root cause of the problem is not the drink itself but the people who want to be drunk.

Drink related crime should carry a much harsher punishment than it currently does.
Several years ago people thought nothing of driving after drinking, now it is seen as wrong by most people.
The same thing needs to happen for drunkenness in the street and the trouble that comes from it.
Old 24-03-2012, 20:47   #83
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

This will be just another stealth tax, Far easier to tax "All" drinkers of ale, Than sort those who abuse it. They bleat on about the cost to the N.H.S. when it would be wiser in my view to introduce payment for the use of the services fer these idiots. Drink related crime i agree wi neil, harsher sentences plus pay fer any damages etc caused.
Old 24-03-2012, 20:49   #84
Senior Member+

Stop the Happy Hours a to discourage binge drinkers.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 20:51   #85
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Once again the spectre rises. What I take issue with is that they've identified were the problem lies (allegedly) so instead of solely dealing with the cause, they intend applying blanket coverage so even the "reasonable drinkers" are hit too.

How very political

Theresa May defends government alcohol pricing plans - Home News - UK - The Independent

But it won't effect the "hoorah Henry's" who get senseless on champagne every year at the various social do's they act irresponsibly as well but can afford to pay for the increases!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 20:53   #86
Senior Member+

Whatever the price the "Hooray Henries" will always afford to drink
Old 24-03-2012, 20:56   #87
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
That would only have a minimal effect, very few places do em,
Old 24-03-2012, 20:57   #88
Senior Member+

OK Yah
Old 24-03-2012, 21:09   #89
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Again its not fair on the sensible drinkers who fancy a few cheap drinks.

This is punishing the good majority because of the actions of the minority
Old 24-03-2012, 21:12   #90
Senior Member+

As always sensible people always have to pay for the errant ways of the few

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..