Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-03-2012, 18:16   #91

Re: Minimum Price Alcohol

It would be necessary to increase the price of alcohol astronomically by numerous pounds per unit rather than pence to have any impact. And then of course the trade in illegal alcohol would increase so it would create more problems than it would allegedly solve. This is just another tax on the poor dressed up as a public health issue. And I completely agree with Kestrelx about the hooray henrys who will continue to behave outrageously no matter what - I am thinking David Cameron and George Osbourne and their antics with the Bullingdon Club - do as I say and not as I do?
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-03-2012, 18:31   #92

I would be worried that people might be tempted to turn to cheaper drugs to get their fix. Grandpas medicine, goofy boots, spank or herbal jazz cigarettes, that sort of thing.

It's a tax on the poor, simple as.
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 18:59   #93
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
....This is just another tax on the poor dressed up as a public health issue. .....
How can it be a tax on the poor when there is no extra taxation. The shop wont be allowed to sell it for less than a fixed price.

If people have the money to drink alcohol does that class them as whatever you meant by poor?
Old 25-03-2012, 19:27   #94
Beacon of light

A much more sensible idea would be to take alcohol out of the supermarkets...put it back into selling out shops/off licences.

Take public houses back to limited hours. I'm sure that this would be better for the publicans as well as the public.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 19:45   #95
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
A much more sensible idea would be to take alcohol out of the supermarkets...put it back into selling out shops/off licences.

Take public houses back to limited hours. I'm sure that this would be better for the publicans as well as the public.
I think short pub hours encourages binge drinking.
Old 25-03-2012, 19:54   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
How can it be a tax on the poor when there is no extra taxation. The shop wont be allowed to sell it for less than a fixed price.

If people have the money to drink alcohol does that class them as whatever you meant by poor?
What I meant was that it's an indirect tax. The more well off will not really notice it but the less well off will suffer.
Old 25-03-2012, 19:58   #97

Quote:

I completely agree with your comment Margaret although I do like my Saturday and Sunday afternoon couple of hours in the pub with friends. But the cafe society which was expected as a result of getting rid of limited hours never really materialised did it!
Old 25-03-2012, 20:01   #98
Beacon of light

Well, Neil making opening hours longer hasn't cured that has it.
It is an attitudinal problem, as you commented in an earlier post.

Some people just go out to get drunk.......and they start at home first on the cheaper supermarket stuff.
Maybe, what the brewers should be doing, is reducing the ABV........making drinks weaker.......watering it down.
Old 25-03-2012, 20:11   #99
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Maybe, what the brewers should be doing, is reducing the ABV........making drinks weaker.......watering it down.
That might help but they might put the price up more, some soft drinks cost more than beer
Old 25-03-2012, 20:43   #100
Senior Member+

Even a pint of Shandy costs the same as a pint of beer. I'm sure CAMRA will kick of if the ABV is reduced
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 21:03   #101
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Even a pint of Shandy costs the same as a pint of beer. I'm sure CAMRA will kick of if the ABV is reduced
On the contrary - CAMRA campaigned for a reduction in duty on low ABV beers and is encouraging more brewers to produce them.

New range of 2.8% beers 50p cheaper thanks to tax reduction coming Saturday | Mail Online
Old 25-03-2012, 21:08   #102
Beacon of light

Thanks Sue...was just going to post that link. I felt sure I had read something along those lines recently.

Trying to price alcohol out of reach will never work......you only have to look at cigarettes to see that.

There has to be a new perspective taken. The so called 'cafe culture' and extending opening hours for pubs hasn't worked in curbing binge drinking, but it has put some pubs out of business(the cost of lighting, heating and staffing of premises out-strips the profits made from selling beer).
Old 26-03-2012, 08:25   #103
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I think short pub hours encourages binge drinking.
Think your spot on there Neil I worked in Glasgow when closing time was 10pm and pubs were closed on Sundays, on Saturday when we were on our way back to the digs at 5pm the locals were off down the road dressed to the nines ready for the the weekend binge, at 10-15pm never I've seen so many wondering the streets well gone
Old 26-03-2012, 08:32   #104
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Thanks Sue...was just going to post that link. I felt sure I had read something along those lines recently.

Trying to price alcohol out of reach will never work......you only have to look at cigarettes to see that.

There has to be a new perspective taken. The so called 'cafe culture' and extending opening hours for pubs hasn't worked in curbing binge drinking, but it has put some pubs out of business(the cost of lighting, heating and staffing of premises out-strips the profits made from selling beer).
When the new licensing hours came in Margaret, it didn't mean you could open 24 hours a day, you had to apply for a licence indicating just which hours you wanted to open, I know Ossy Con wasn't interested in opening during the day during the week so they applied for 7pm opening Monday to Friday, 2pm at weekends not sure what closing time was, as I was never there when it closed
Old 26-03-2012, 09:58   #105
Beacon of light

yes John, I know that, but many pubs opened for longer hours.....longer hours mean bigger heating and lighting bills and more staff........and there must be times when it really isn't worth opening for.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..