Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree246Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-11-2015, 06:35   #271
Beacon of light

Re: Paris Shootings.

Jason, I am not looking for sophistication. If you knew me you would realise that I am about as sophisticated as Worzel Gummidge.
I am just looking for a balanced, informed response.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-11-2015, 14:30   #272
God Member

I don't think sophistication is the issue ... one doesn't have to know anything about Maurice Gamelin, or the specifics of the military re-occupation of the Rhineland by the Wehrmacht to know that you don't need a sledgehammer to kill a flea. It's common sense. The greatest barriers I face when trying to come to terms with what to do about ISIS are my prejudices ... c'mon, we all have 'em ... I don't like Islam ... I don't trust Germany; and I think they got off too lightly for what they did last century ... I don't like the French (I think this must be genetic, bred in the bone 'cause I'm English) But I know that they are prejudices, and therefore not quite rational; so, the only sophistication I use is trying to get beyond them when I try to come to grips with complex problems. I also don't like tories, the EPL, JWs, born-again christians, reality shows .... the list is probably endless.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 14:31   #273
God Member

Oh, and I don't like vegans either
Old 23-11-2015, 14:51   #274
Beacon of light

Eric, you are right about us all having some degree of prejudice.
Often, as you say we have no real rational basis for this....but while we can admit to these we tolerate the things that we don't much like.
Tolerance is something which allows us to rub along together......although I do think that as we get older our tolerance levels get tested.....or certainly that has been my own experience.
Old 23-11-2015, 15:11   #275
God Member

Tolerance ... that's what it is ... I'll try to keep that in mind the next time someone or something rattles my cage

Here's our plan for the coming influx of refugees in the wake of Paris. It might not be a perfect solution; but at least someone in authority has give the problem some thought.

Canada's Syrian refugee plan limited to women, children and families - Politics - CBC News
Old 23-11-2015, 15:53   #276
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Oh, and I don't like vegans either
Got to agree, though if there was a shortage of turkey/beef or pork I'd eat one for Christmas dinner.
Eric likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 15:59   #277
Beacon of light

Less, you would struggle to eat a full one
Old 23-11-2015, 16:17   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Always have plenty of family around plus, sandwiches from the left overs and something similar to pea & ham soup made from the bones, to keep the cold out as we go a wandering along some nature trail on boxing day, thanking our meal for keeping the wildlife safe for us to observe.
Margaret Pilkington and Eric like this.
Old 23-11-2015, 17:24   #279
God Member

Thinking of the Canadian plan, there is a definite prejudice there, a prejudice against single young male refugees. I suppose this shows that some biases ain't all that illogical or out to lunch. But it is a clever move on the part of our government. It will probably silence quite a bit of the more vocal opposition. It's not so easy to be opposed to a women and children first policy.

One interesting point I noticed when reading the article is that as soon as they arrive the refugees will be covered by the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. In other words, apart from not being able to vote and being liable to deportation if they commit a crime or mess up in some similar fashion, they will be treated as Canadians. They will have the right to move anywhere they wish in Canada, the right to benefits, the right to work ... all kinds of good stuff.

Even tho' I didn't vote Liberal, and probably never will, I think Trudeau (the hottest PM on the planet) got this one right.
Gremlin likes this.
Old 23-11-2015, 18:48   #280
Senior Member+

Can we exchange him for Cameron Eric?
Eric likes this.
Old 23-11-2015, 19:14   #281
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Got to agree, though if there was a shortage of turkey/beef or pork I'd eat one for Christmas dinner.
I hear that tories are not bad eating too. And you can usually get a deal on one 'cause they are such a bitch to clean.
Old 23-11-2015, 19:55   #282

Quote:
I hear that tories are not bad eating too. And you can usually get a deal on one 'cause they are such a bitch to clean.
Good grief NOOOOOO!

I'd be up all night with heartburn, there is nothing about the Tories that I would find easy to swallow.

Give me a corn fed Liberal any day.
Margaret Pilkington and Eric like this.
Old 23-11-2015, 20:41   #283
Junior Member+

In a town near you any time soon. Look out sleepyville!
jj1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 21:34   #284
God Member

Quote:
I hear that tories are not bad eating too.
due to cross contamination with pork issues Tory meat has been removed from most British menus

as Tory meat was when thatcher was alive due to the mad cow disease fears
Eric likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 22:14   #285
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
A little one wouldn't be much different than a suckling pig.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..