Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3580Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-07-2017, 09:05   #1261
God Member

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

like her or loath her she,ll be remembered years after the men in grey major, cameron, brown and the man with forked tongue blair are just answers to pub quiz questions.
hilleluk likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-07-2017, 10:19   #1262
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
like her or loath her she,ll be remembered years after the men in grey major, cameron, brown and the man with forked tongue blair are just answers to pub quiz questions.
Thats true for the same reason everyone remembers Hitler.
Old 20-07-2017, 11:27   #1263

Eh! Could you please explain that comment
hilleluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 11:39   #1264
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilleluk View Post
Eh! Could you please explain that comment
Well its simple enough to grasp.
Old 20-07-2017, 11:48   #1265

I must be simple, can't grasp it. If you could explain I would be grateful.
Old 20-07-2017, 11:49   #1266
Beacon of light

I did not vote for her and disliked some of the things that she (and her government)were responsible for...but I have to admit to a sneaking admiration for her as a woman in what was, a very different, difficult masculine world.
She was a strong powerful woman,who did what she thought would benefit the country.(hindsight is a wonderful thing)
She was not swayed by those EU bullies and she won for the UK some hefty rebates...something that no other (male) PM has done.

As for the conflict with the miners...she went head to head because she had to
If she had given ground she would have been seen as weak by both her own party(there were those in her party who were waiting for an opportunity to stab her in the back...dissent is ever present in political parties) and those in opposition.
It was inevitable that there would be acrimony, the unions always wanted to be calling the tune.
She wanted the unions to know that the government were in charge...not the unions.
It was a very different time.

So she was political marmite.
hilleluk and monkey hanger like this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 20-07-2017 at 11:52.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 11:56   #1267
Beacon of light

I think that Cashy is saying that Margaret Thatcher and Hitler were of the same ilk...so will be remembered for their crimes.

Margaret Thatcher...did not incinerate a whole section of the population for their religious and cultural background.
She did not start a war of epic proportions,so while I am not a fan...I don't think they are in the same league.
hilleluk and monkey hanger like this.
Old 20-07-2017, 11:58   #1268
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilleluk View Post
Yesterday afternoon I was looking at Youtube, sometimes they have a Recommend for you, there is was Glenda Jackson's speech in the House of Commons about Margaret Thatchers Death, I remembered it was a shocking speech, but chose toe watch it again. It was worse the second time around. I then went to Accy Web, yours was the first comment I read, YAWN just summed up your post. Margaret Thatcher is not my Goddess, she was, in my opinion a Great Prime Minister.
Yes in your opinion, not the same opinion as others have, this is a discussion site, a shame that you had to resort to a one word low witted attempt to get personal about a view not shared by you.

As I said earlier:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I have no objection that you disagree with me, .
What a shame you can't reply with something worthwhile that may (though it is doubtful) just change my opinion of one of the worst people ever to hold too much power over many innocent lives.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 12:09   #1269

Thanks for the explanation Margaret, well written.
Old 20-07-2017, 12:21   #1270
Beacon of light

I have great respect for Cashy and Less...I can understand where they are coming from.
I also understand the animosity which the subject provokes.

Margaret Thatcher and her government did me no favours, but I can see that there were very difficult choices to be made it was a time of much unrest.(IRA, Miners Strike, Falklands war.political instability to mention just a fewissues)
We can say that we lived through it...it is past, but we remember the hard times...and I think they were harder then than they are now(just my opinion...which is worth nowt)

There is room for opinions of all shades and it would be a very boring life if we all thought the same thing.
Old 20-07-2017, 12:33   #1271
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I think that Cashy is saying that Margaret Thatcher and Hitler were of the same ilk...so will be remembered for their crimes.

Margaret Thatcher...did not incinerate a whole section of the population for their religious and cultural background.
She did not start a war of epic proportions,so while I am not a fan...I don't think they are in the same league.
No she did not incinerate a whole section of the population, but she completely destroyed many communities as well as had women @ children beaten to a pulp. as i witnessed, the police were defo acting on government instructions,the best i can say about anyone that admires her is they are honestly clueless as to what occured, i also know a friend,self employed at the time was turned back on M6 going to do a factory roof in Liverpool, he was told he was a flying picket, he lost the job.
Old 20-07-2017, 12:42   #1272
Beacon of light

Cashy, as I said....I respect your views.
I was not party to that...it is something that I did not see....and as such I can not comment on it.
As I have said it was a time of serious unrest on many fronts.
She had a difficult job...she did what she thought was best.(she could not allow the unions to succeed as they would have weakened the government of the country...not just the tory government, but future governments too) I do not expect you to agree with me. I know your views are strong and are based upon personal experience.

That is what is great about this forum...we can have this discussion and still respect each other(or I hope we can).
cashman likes this.
Old 20-07-2017, 13:06   #1273
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Theres many things i can justifiably be called, but telling porkies aint one of em.
Old 20-07-2017, 13:41   #1274
Beacon of light

Cashy...there is nowhere I have suggested or implied that you are anything less than honest.
I can not comment on the things you have seen....but do not doubt for one minute that you have seen them and experienced them...and that is why you hold the opinions that you do.

When I said I had a 'sneaking admiration' for MT...it was not as a politician, but as a strong woman in a world that was hostile to women. A world that was difficult even for strong men(of which, at that time, there were few in politics...much like now really...the majority of politicians of all colours are lily livered sneeks only set on doing what is best for them...not the country).
I admired her focus and the fact that she would not be deflected from her aims.
I did not support or admire those aims...but do not feel that I have to justify myself.
Old 20-07-2017, 18:26   #1275
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

You have no need at all to justify yourself, What i'm saying is if yeh have no doubt at all i have seen such things, why yeh feel yeh cannot comment on them? that beats the hell outa me. Cos i know fer sure if i had no doubt, i certainly would have to say summat.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..