Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should Graham Jones resign?
Yes 4 10.53%
No 34 89.47%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2008, 10:11   #196
God Member

Re: Should Graham Jones resign? 'labour group leader'

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyme View Post
It didnt work, can we move on now please?
I'm replying to people why are you directing it all at me? It would be rude of me to just ignore them. If people are not interested then I have no idea why they're bothering to read it.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:52   #197
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
I'm replying to people why are you directing it all at me? It would be rude of me to just ignore them. If people are not interested then I have no idea why they're bothering to read it.
i guess everyone wants to see what comes out of your mouth next wether they think you a twit or not lol

not saying your a twit before you start going all medevil tory on my ass lol
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:37   #198
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i guess everyone wants to see what comes out of your mouth next wether they think you a twit or not lol

not saying your a twit before you start going all medevil tory on my ass lol
I can't decide if that is a good thing or not lol
Old 07-05-2008, 11:46   #199
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i can its pretty easy.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:57   #200
God Member

Well I'm still reading it and I'm still interested so I don't care if it's only me and Cyfr having this conversation.

What I don't understand Cyfr is why you don't think that Band D is representative of Hyndburn houses? Have you been to an estate agent and looked at the average price of houses? £68k to £88k seems fairly representative as that's the house price of the majority of terraced houses which we have a high proportion of.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 14:12   #201
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Well I'm still reading it and I'm still interested so I don't care if it's only me and Cyfr having this conversation.

What I don't understand Cyfr is why you don't think that Band D is representative of Hyndburn houses? Have you been to an estate agent and looked at the average price of houses? £68k to £88k seems fairly representative as that's the house price of the majority of terraced houses which we have a high proportion of.
This is what I thought when I first had a look at it. It turns out that the 68-88k figure is for when council tax banding was introduced. Each property was given a band based on its worth, but that band has stuck with the property rather than the huge price rises we have seen since then.

I did actually go and have a look at prices in estate agents to try and gauge what price a band D property was in todays market. However it turns out there's a similar way, Lancashire County Council: Lancashire Profile has a breakdown of Hyndburn council tax bands.

From the link you can see the vast majority (around 73%) are band A and B properties. Even when you take band A alone it almost reaches 60% of the constituency.

Hope that clears things up!
Old 07-05-2008, 14:58   #202
God Member

Graham Jones this , peter Britcliffe that.........Yawn Yawn Yawn.....has anyone tried this forum ?Politics and Current Affairs - Political Debate Forum
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 16:40   #203
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
Graham Jones this , peter Britcliffe that.........Yawn Yawn Yawn.....has anyone tried this forum ?Politics and Current Affairs - Political Debate Forum
Yup pininfort tried it a few times, not bad if thats your barrow, wa mine once but not now
Old 07-05-2008, 17:35   #204
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
This is what I thought when I first had a look at it. It turns out that the 68-88k figure is for when council tax banding was introduced. Each property was given a band based on its worth, but that band has stuck with the property rather than the huge price rises we have seen since then.

I did actually go and have a look at prices in estate agents to try and gauge what price a band D property was in todays market. However it turns out there's a similar way, Lancashire County Council: Lancashire Profile has a breakdown of Hyndburn council tax bands.

From the link you can see the vast majority (around 73%) are band A and B properties. Even when you take band A alone it almost reaches 60% of the constituency.

Hope that clears things up!

As far as I'm aware all the houses in Hyndburn have been reassessed relatively recently so those prices are correct for now. I know this because I got a rebate which retrospectively dated it for seven years ago.

Old 07-05-2008, 17:36   #205
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post

Cyfr and I are quite happy on this thread thank you. Please feel free to try the thread next door, we won't bother you!

Old 07-05-2008, 18:09   #206
God Member

Quote:
As far as I'm aware all the houses in Hyndburn have been reassessed relatively recently so those prices are correct for now. I know this because I got a rebate which retrospectively dated it for seven years ago.
Have you got any information on this?

This is how I understood it to be:

"We find that some people are confused about revaluation – is it happening or is it not? Sometimes our day-to-day work is mistaken for revaluation. Since the introduction of council tax in 1993 we have kept the council tax lists up to date and accurate by allocating bandings to new homes relative to their value in 1991 and making adjustments to existing bandings where necessary.
The revaluation for England has been postponed. The postponement was announced in September 2005 and we have no information on when the next revaluation will take place."

from VOA - News, Your Council Tax Band
Old 07-05-2008, 19:37   #207
God Member

I can't remember exactly where I read it but like I said, I'm aware it's happening all over Hyndburn. I'm pretty sure there was something in the paper about it a few months ago.

Old 07-05-2008, 21:17   #208
God Member

I don't think it is, or at least it hasn't happened yet, hence the stats are still relevant ...
Old 07-05-2008, 21:42   #209
God Member

Quote:
Houses in Hyndburn haven't been re-assessed for council tax. We are still using the old bands. A re-assessment of all houses in the borough was suggested but then postponed.

Wasn't the rebate you received from a house you used to live in?

The current owners must have requested a check, believing they were in the wrong band. Someone came out to check it, found that the house was indeed in the wrong band and put it down a band.

A rebate would then have been due, not only to the current owners for as long as they've been into the house but also to all previous owners going back to when the banding first started.....I think it was 1992 or so.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:34   #210
Resting in Peace

Council Tax revaluation has not taken place as HMG keeps putting it off, in England anyway, but they may have tried it in Scotland though I'm not sure. I can't see it happening anytime soon, well not now that Gordon is in a hole and hasn't stopped biging yet

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..