Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should Graham Jones resign?
Yes 4 10.53%
No 34 89.47%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008, 02:06   #1
God Member

Should Graham Jones resign? 'labour group leader'

The people have sent a clear message to the Labour group - dirty tactics do not work, and the people of Hyndburn are not idiots, they don't believe the deceptive leaflets put out by the Labour party with misleading figures, and misleading sources, as if the rubbish they quoted was recent!

Losing a Labour seat even though they claim we have the highest council tax in the country (untrue), even though they have the worst things to say about the Conservatives, even though they claim the Conservatives are doing a terrible job.

Negative campaigning doesn't resonate with the electorate in locals, people care about what is being done, people care about if their councillor is at the end of the phone whenever they need him/her. Is Graham up to being leader after the latest disaster?
Old 02-05-2008, 02:32   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Should Graham Jones resign?

but in all honesty it was done from all sides. the battle for central ward was such a personal bitter affair. it was no longer about politics - it was about who cud mud-sling the other better

and in the middle was the lib dem guy. not just on the leaflets - but from supporters too
Old 02-05-2008, 02:46   #3

I'm glad they lost tonite, the labour party are a bunch of idiots and wouldn't know how to run a bath, never mind this council, glad the people of hyndburn kept them out again, hoping for an early general election so they get kicked out for good, doubt it will happen tho knowing that idiot brown, anyway well done tories.I wouldn't trust labour party as far as i could throw them.
Rob249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:46   #4
God Member

I have voted no. How can anyone suggest a politician resign for using dirty tactics? I know in an ideal world we do not want politicians to do this but it has always happened and it always will, and it most certainly wont be one sided either.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:59   #5
God Member

I've allways thought the Japanese have the right idea .......all politicians who have lost the faith of their constituants should be required to commit Seppuku, and not retire on bloated pensions and other benefits that the mainstream electorate can only dream of
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:24   #6

Couldnt care less if he resigned or not- politics is all about spin tactics, and not only exclusive to Labour.

What I dont like is when the argument gets personal, which this post appears to be.

To me, theres no need for it. The voters have showed where their support lies.
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:38   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyme View Post
Couldnt care less if he resigned or not- politics is all about spin tactics, and not only exclusive to Labour.

What I dont like is when the argument gets personal, which this post appears to be.

To me, theres no need for it. The voters have showed where their support lies.
Nothing personal, he just happens to be the leader of the group who should take responsibility. I'd have to hate the guy for it to be personal, and I have no reason to other than his politics, and I couldn't hate somebody over their politics.

For the record I voted no.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:46   #8
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Under no circumstances should Graham resign. He is the only councillor in Peel who actually gets off his bum and helps the community. Residents in Peel see Graham regularly and can contact him with problems any time of day or night, he always tries to help. This is more than can be said for our Tory councillor who, I had never heard of until I went to vote yesterday, couldn't tell you if he/she is male or female and, certainly don't expect to meet in the near future.

All political parties use spin and dirty tactics these days, that's life but, I will always vote for the people who show backbone, are committed to helping their community and are willing to put up a fight for what they believe is right. Graham will get my vote any day for his hard work in my ward and the improvements that he has made.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:55   #9
God Member

Don't get me wrong lettie the poll isn't about him resigning as a councillor, I'm talking about labour group leader.

Also the reason you haven't seen your conservative councillor is that you don't have one. They're both labour.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
Nothing personal, he just happens to be the leader of the group who should take responsibility.

For the record I voted no.
Would that not be Gordon Brown? Although Grahams rambling posts on here get my goat slightly, he can only follow his partie's direction. It appears that on a 'job description' level, he does his bit, being out and about and so on. Its a shame that he works for a load of..... I'm not allowed to use asterisks anymore am I? Shame.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:01   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyme View Post
Would that not be Gordon Brown? Although Grahams rambling posts on here get my goat slightly, he can only follow his partie's direction. It appears that on a 'job description' level, he does his bit, being out and about and so on. Its a shame that he works for a load of..... I'm not allowed to use asterisks anymore am I? Shame.
Brown is the party leader.

Graham is leader of the Labour group on the council, which means if Labour had gained a majority he would be our council leader. In the same way Britcliffe is the leader of the Conservative group and is the leader of the council because they have the majority.

On the job level description for 'councillor' he does his job in peel ward undoubtedly.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:02   #12

Incidentally, I'm hoping that all the tree parts that keep getting posted through my door will now stop.

Would love to know as well, why, when people are knocking on my door asking for my vote, no matter which party they are representing, they just walk away when i tell them. If someone should a bit of gumption and asked why, it may actually show a bit of interest in a voter, and who knows, I might have changed my mind
Old 02-05-2008, 08:02   #13
God Member

I too think this is more of a personal attack rather than any thing else. What good is this thread going to do for anybody?

Maybe Cyfr you should concentrate on your own party instead of concerning yourself with so much of Graham Jones' life. I noticed you have cut ties with me recently, and whilst I agree with the idea of keeping your friends close and your enemies closer, I think your not being particularly likable recently and it's disheartening to think that someone with potential is spending way too much time in the playground at the moment and creating a tense atmosphere.

That is my personal opinion anyway, you don't have to agree with it but that is the way you have made me feel. If you continue the way you are going with this then I don't think there will be the future for the conservatives in hyndburn that you dream of, you'll just push people away from both parties and into the hands of undesirable ones.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:10   #14
Give, give, give member

Considering Labour only lost one seat in Hyndburn I think they did pretty well, considering what has happened in the rest of the country, and I do believe the electorate have sent a message to the government in Westminster rather than concentrating on local issues.

In my opinion Graham Jones should not resign.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:35   #15
God Member

I just wonder how well they'd do without the blatant lies in their leaflets about council tax!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..