Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should Graham Jones resign?
Yes 4 10.53%
No 34 89.47%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2008, 20:36   #136
God Member

Re: Should Graham Jones resign? 'labour group leader'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Thats what you call....Political Bullshine
This thread is looking like that at the moment.
Students and wanabees will learn a lot and get bored out their skin with politics.
I think it has been established that Graham should stay as labour group leader......where the thread is going beyond that...who knows
Well its turned into a debate about leaflets and whether they're misleading. I guess we could start another thread about it, but since its already in here and somewhat related?
Old 04-05-2008, 20:38   #137
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
The website isn't up to date it seems!

Bit late to update it after winter then. Surely if they really wanted to make a big deal about this it should have been done before winter started.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 20:46   #138
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Bit late to update it after winter then. Surely if they really wanted to make a big deal about this it should have been done before winter started.
It's not just to do with winter, but to be honest I don't know what time of year the change was made. I recall my grandad getting something about it but I couldn't tell you what month. Its obviously in the election leaflets now because its showing what the Conservatives have done for the electorate, in the same way opposition ones are normally saying what they would do given the chance.
Old 04-05-2008, 20:52   #139

Cyfr, I admire the fact that you stand by your convictions and have a real knowledge and enthusiasm for politics.

However, the way you are going about this is defeating your objective. I think every reader here has realised that you believe the facts and figures on the Labour propaganda to be false. You also have the opinion that Graham should step down as patry leader. This was made a good few pages ago, but you are intent on repeating yourself.

You've made your point, sometimes you achieve more by saying nothing
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 20:55   #140
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyme View Post
Cyfr, I admire the fact that you stand by your convictions and have a real knowledge and enthusiasm for politics.

However, the way you are going about this is defeating your objective. I think every reader here has realised that you believe the facts and figures on the Labour propaganda to be false. You also have the opinion that Graham should step down as patry leader. This was made a good few pages ago, but you are intent on repeating yourself.

You've made your point, sometimes you achieve more by saying nothing
I don't think he should step down no. I created the thread but made clear my vote was no!

I'm just defending issues when they come up (like the ones Gayle mentioned) because if I know something to be not accurate then I do feel I should step in with some form of explanation rather than people just accepting it therefore making the Conservatives look bad when they fought a fair campaign (from what Ive seen).
Old 04-05-2008, 21:20   #141
God Member

As this thread has wandered into the realms of heating and insulation grants, I will have my two pennorth, but will state that the particular council concerned is not hyndburn, and I do not know who is in power in Preston where this issue is about, but I believe it shows a lot about the way councils operate.
A pensioner applied for a central heating grant, he has worked all his life and paid taxes all his life in this country, first he was told his heating must be actually broke down before he could get a grant, it was, so ok so far, then was told he didnt qualify, and even if he did, he would have to wait 6 months to be inspected (in winter), as he didnt qualify, this was not an issue, but the next day in the local paper, he read that 20 romanians were being brought to preston, 2 council houses were being knocked into one to house them, and £15,000 was available in aid for the central heating replacement, he got on to the council, and they told him, he still wouldnt qualify for the full grant (2700), but due to his complaint, they would allow him the lower grant at £300, how does that work? Oh, and no, I dont think graham should step down, seems a decent bloke to me, and dont see how anyone else could alter anything that he hasnt been able to change.

Last edited by derekgas; 04-05-2008 at 21:22.
derekgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 23:15   #142
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The website isn't up to date it seems!
Really?

Well there is a suprise.

So as well as wasting the £700,000 on the now defunct community website, they don't update and have the latest, accurate information on their own website?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 23:19   #143
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Really?

Well there is a suprise.

So as well as wasting the £700,000 on the now defunct community website, they don't update and have the latest, accurate information on their own website?
no chance now, the elections over.
Old 04-05-2008, 23:20   #144
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyme View Post
I think every reader here has realised that you believe the facts and figures on the Labour propaganda to be false.
If the figures were false the legal team at the Daily Telegraph wouldn't have been allowed to be publish them.

He's just in a frightful tizzy because he doesn't like how the results were formulated.

Last edited by garinda; 04-05-2008 at 23:26.
Old 04-05-2008, 23:24   #145
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
no chance now, the elections over.
Do you mean at the end of this month, also known as election month, those nice people at the council are again going to stop subsidising free bus travel to the coast for the pensioners. The subsidy they suddendly found they cound fund a few weeks before the said elections?

Oh yes, that's right they are.

Nevermind, there's always next year's sweetner to look forward to.

Old 04-05-2008, 23:30   #146
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Do you mean at the end of this month, also known as election month, those nice people at the council are again going to stop subsidising free bus travel to the coast for the pensioners. The subsidy they suddendly found they cound fund a few weeks before the said elections?

Oh yes, that's right they are.

Nevermind, there's always next year's sweetner to look forward to.
got it in 1.
Old 04-05-2008, 23:32   #147
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
got it in 1.
They might find they've got enough money to give us all a new digital telly next year, with the switch over imminent.

So we don't miss the party political broadcasts.

Old 05-05-2008, 00:27   #148
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Works here in Spain.....opens new window
There's a surprise fo us
Old 05-05-2008, 00:29   #149
God Member

Quote:
We are still waiting for Graham to reply and confirm my questions..
No you are still waiting and good luck to you
Old 05-05-2008, 00:32   #150
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
No you are still waiting and good luck to you
i was wondering who the "WE" is.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..