Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should Graham Jones resign?
Yes 4 10.53%
No 34 89.47%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008, 08:51   #31
God Member

Re: Should Graham Jones resign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
You are starting to come across as petty and vindictive, something David Cameron is supposed to be against. Didn't he say he would concentrate on his own party's policies, rather than attacking the opposition?

Maybe it's time you did the same, while you still have a leg to stand on.
I'll second that!
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-05-2008, 08:51   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
You may disagree with how the figures were arrived at, but using the findings from a national newspaper, a famously Tory newspaper, is not lieing.

If the Daily Telegraph had used the same calculations, and had named Hyndburn to be one of the ten cheapest places for council tax, you can rest assured the local Conservatives would have had the information blazened across all their election paphlets.

You are starting to come across as petty and vindictive, something David Cameron is supposed to be against. Didn't he say he would concentrate on his owm party's policies, rather than attacking the opposition?

Maybe it's time you did the same, while you still have a leg to stand on.
If the Conservatives had done that I'd have made my views known the same way I have about Labour doing it.

Facts are they date the information march 2008 inferring that the 'expensive council' rubbish is even up to date. It's back from 2007 and the recent figures don't even mention Hyndburn in the top 10 most expensive.

Got their dates completely wrong, not spin, just completely incorrect.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:03   #33
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
If the Conservatives had done that I'd have made my views known the same way I have about Labour doing it.

Facts are they date the information march 2008 inferring that the 'expensive council' rubbish is even up to date. It's back from 2007 and the recent figures don't even mention Hyndburn in the top 10 most expensive.

Got their dates completely wrong, not spin, just completely incorrect.
If a mistake has been made as to when the Daily Telegraph last published the statement that Hyndburn had the highest council tax in the country, I'm sure that will be investigated.

That does not mean they lied about the findings though.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:09   #34
God Member

Too right!
Old 02-05-2008, 09:33   #35
Resting in Peace

Good morning campers, what a wonderful day it is today
Should Graham Jones resign as Leader of the Labour Group asks Cyfr, well after giving it about 2 seconds thought I have voted NO You may ask why? Well why would I want to get rid of a political asset, if Labour got rid of our Graham then they may just replace him with someone who has half an idea what their doing, instead of a chap making a great impression of running about like a headless chicken only interested in scoring cheap politicl points over PB. So Cyfr you leave our Graham alone he'll do for me and long may he reign
Old 02-05-2008, 09:49   #36
God Member

You have a very salient point there Jaysay! It is indeed damaging for Labour to keep him. Comes across as a typical politician in other threads where he simply refuses to answer questions.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:56   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

in a word No, this is just another example of a narrow minded childlike view of how life should be your way.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:59   #38
God Member

I voted no is that not the way you want it to be cashman?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:30   #39
God Member

Oh and you can hardly call others on being narrow minded!
Old 02-05-2008, 10:30   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
in a word No, this is just another example of a narrow minded childlike view of how life should be your way.
Have to disagree cashy, every time JG is on here he is only interested in attacking Britcliffe, if he is interviewed in the local press he only attacks Britcliffe, the man has a pathological hatred for Tories, but whats more the people out there can see this. it may go down well a Party meetings, but it doesn't impress the public. I was talking to a friend only this week who is a life long Labour supporter, we don't usally talk politics, cuze its pointless neither of use will change. This week however he just said he wasn't voting, for the first time in his life. I asked why? the answer was "that lot down London are more Tory than Thatcher, and this clown who's Labour Leader here is only interested in slagging Britcliffe off, so I'll go straight to the pub on Thursday and sod the polling station. I can asure you cashy if Labour had taken control last night Cllr Jones would have been on here giving Cyfr and myself some amighty stick, so when someone like Graham loses at the polls (as in party leader, not himself as I believe he retained his seat) then I do not apologies for having a dig. I have always been of the oppinion that in politics if you give it out you have to be ready to take it as well, if you can't as the old saying goes cashy "If you can't stand the heat kep ot of the kitchen"
Old 02-05-2008, 13:38   #41
Senior Member+

I was brought up not to tell lies so I resent your comments. The Daily Telegraph piece was used (as published by the DT) in response to a Conservative view that we were a low tax Council.

I am sick of the squabbling, lies, deceit. I don't really want to spend my life around these people to be honest. My mates, football traveling are my life. I do work hard here, I tell the truth even when I am to blame. People in Peel know that. I am not here to play the game, I am here to end the game playing and everyone around me knows that.

Scrutinizing issues on leaflets
I believe is important. Because people begin to blacken my name as we are al the same. We all have a responsibility to be honest.

Lies Lies Lies on Labour leaflets... where??? I don't tell lies. If something is wrong not only do I apologize but I feel guilty about it.

This is what get's Councillors a bad name because if Conservatives are doing it, then people believe I and my colleagues are doing it.

On every Tory leaflet it said Labour will introduce Car Parking Charges.
FACT we have never discussed the matter as a group, and individually most Labour Councillors are opposed to it.

On Every Tory Leaflet it said Labour's £2m black hole.
FACT no-one lost £2m. It was a first quarter deficit of 450k in 2003-2004 (A Tory year).
FACT Labour's one year 2002-2003 the books balanced and were signed of by all 35 councillors as balanced and correct by vote in Full Council.

On Every Tory Leaflet it claimed credit for building two new Health Centres.
FACT The PCT built them, financed them, occupy them.

Last year the Conservative Leaflet said Labour would introduce a £200 Rubbish Tax.
FACT The Council does not have the systems to implement and collate that sort of data, on the wagons, at the depot, in waste services and it is totally incapable of linking into Council Tax. Our officers say there is no way HBC can implement it. Those running the Council should know this.
FACT We are opposed to Rubbish Taxes and told the Conservatives this many times before their leaflet.

Finally, anyone with an open mind who has the opportunity to judge Labour Councillors and Tory Councillors in Hyndburn for themselves (at a meeting for eg.) comes away suddenly realising the degree to which Labour Councillors are honest and genuine, and the awe at how rotten most Conservatives are. I ask people to see for themselves and make their own mind up.

Last edited by g jones; 02-05-2008 at 13:47.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 14:20   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
I was brought up not to tell lies so I resent your comments. The Daily Telegraph piece was used (as published by the DT) in response to a Conservative view that we were a low tax Council.

I am sick of the squabbling, lies, deceit. I don't really want to spend my life around these people to be honest. My mates, football traveling are my life. I do work hard here, I tell the truth even when I am to blame. People in Peel know that. I am not here to play the game, I am here to end the game playing and everyone around me knows that.

Scrutinizing issues on leaflets
I believe is important. Because people begin to blacken my name as we are al the same. We all have a responsibility to be honest.

Lies Lies Lies on Labour leaflets... where??? I don't tell lies. If something is wrong not only do I apologize but I feel guilty about it.

This is what get's Councillors a bad name because if Conservatives are doing it, then people believe I and my colleagues are doing it.

On every Tory leaflet it said Labour will introduce Car Parking Charges.
FACT we have never discussed the matter as a group, and individually most Labour Councillors are opposed to it.

On Every Tory Leaflet it said Labour's £2m black hole.
FACT no-one lost £2m. It was a first quarter deficit of 450k in 2003-2004 (A Tory year).
FACT Labour's one year 2002-2003 the books balanced and were signed of by all 35 councillors as balanced and correct by vote in Full Council.

On Every Tory Leaflet it claimed credit for building two new Health Centres.
FACT The PCT built them, financed them, occupy them.

Last year the Conservative Leaflet said Labour would introduce a £200 Rubbish Tax.
FACT The Council does not have the systems to implement and collate that sort of data, on the wagons, at the depot, in waste services and it is totally incapable of linking into Council Tax. Our officers say there is no way HBC can implement it. Those running the Council should know this.
FACT We are opposed to Rubbish Taxes and told the Conservatives this many times before their leaflet.

Finally, anyone with an open mind who has the opportunity to judge Labour Councillors and Tory Councillors in Hyndburn for themselves (at a meeting for eg.) comes away suddenly realising the degree to which Labour Councillors are honest and genuine, and the awe at how rotten most Conservatives are. I ask people to see for themselves and make their own mind up.
Well hello Graham, I suppose you have got to defend your abject failure some how. The Rubbish Tax was muted by your mates down in Westminster, I now you like to distance yourselves from them, but its all the same firm. I would ask you to tell Brian Walmsley to his face he's a rotten councillor or for that matter Jean Lockwood, just because they choose to stand for the Conservatives doesn't give you the right libel them in that way. I have always gone on record saying how I respect a lot of the old Labour Councillors, such as Len Dickinson, Jack Grime, Ken Curtise, and Bill Pinder, these people were genuine people, unlike you, as your just irritating poitical bigot. Even then I'm not saying you don't work for those who elect you, but nobody goes into politics without a wish to make a differance, irrispective of whether they are Tory, Labour, Lib/dem or for that matter the Monster Ravin Loony Party. I have a feeling that Labour under for stewardship is going nowhere very fast, infact its going backwards, your trouble is Graham you talk to much, meaningless words, and when all you do is continually slag of others enmass, your not doing yourself or your Party any favours. By the way I'm seeing Brian later today I'll tell him you have something to say to him, the lucky thing for you is that he's not 20 years younger
Old 02-05-2008, 14:58   #43

Erm, forgive me for not playing the game, but would it not be better to promote the benefits rather than purely slag off the opposition.

He said this, she said that, has the world of politics been reduced to playground squabbles?
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 15:31   #44
Senior Member+

i know absolutely nothing about politics... all i know is that mr Jones is a member of accyweb just like anyone else and shouldn't be subjected to personal attacks no matter what his job is.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 15:54   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
i know absolutely nothing about politics... all i know is that mr Jones is a member of accyweb just like anyone else and shouldn't be subjected to personal attacks no matter what his job is.
Yes emamum, but that does not give him the right to slag other people off either. For my part it wouldn't bother me if poitics were never mentioned on here again, but when this guy has a go at people just because they have different views to his and in fact calls them rotten councillors I am not going to sit her and let him get away with it, one of those rotten councillors is a good friend of mine and three times a councillor Jones could ever hope to be, and I'm not talking about PB here either

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..