Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should Graham Jones resign?
Yes 4 10.53%
No 34 89.47%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2008, 10:50   #91
God Member

Re: Should Graham Jones resign? 'labour group leader'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
To be quite honest with you I am a bit lost as to why the question was posed in the first place. I have read all the hype about made up figures but if there was any truth in it sure it would have been found by now
We are still waiting for Graham to reply and confirm my questions..
Old 04-05-2008, 10:52   #92
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Those on here who live in his ward seem very happy with Graham.

Plus it seems the overwhelming majority of us on here don't agree with think the frankly ludicrous suggestion that he should resign.
It almost feels like you're getting it wrong on purpose. You know the question has nothing to do with his ward.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:58   #93
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
It almost feels like you're getting it wrong on purpose. You know the question has nothing to do with his ward.
What was the question?

I'm begining to lose the will to live.

I thought you asked us, the members of the forum if we thought he should resign?

The vast majority think not.

Seems a fairly straightforward reponse.

If you just wanted to know whether Graham Jones thinks he himself should resign, you could have just messaged him directly, and saved us all the bother of taking part in your poll.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:52   #94
God Member

Quote:
We are still waiting for Graham to reply and confirm my questions..
So on that basis you raise a thread asking if he should resign?
Old 04-05-2008, 12:01   #95
Resting in Peace

I think Cyfr meant as Leader of the Labour Group, not as a councillor
Old 04-05-2008, 12:02   #96
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
What was the question?

I'm begining to lose the will to live.

I thought you asked us, the members of the forum if we thought he should resign?

The vast majority think not.

Seems a fairly straightforward reponse.

If you just wanted to know whether Graham Jones thinks he himself should resign, you could have just messaged him directly, and saved us all the bother of taking part in your poll.
It was if he should resign as labour group leader not councillor as your posts seem to suggest.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:04   #97
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
So on that basis you raise a thread asking if he should resign?
No it's based on Labour losses and deceitful leafleting as a whole. If people can't deliver for their party questions are normally asked, hence all the questions about Gordon Brown.

I happened to vote no remember. I am simply asking the question.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:05   #98
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think Cyfr meant as Leader of the Labour Group, not as a councillor
I was just going to say that, Jaysay.

As I understand it, Cyfr was not accusing Graham of not being a hardworking councillor for Peel ward.

I think he was suggesting that poor election results for Labour cast a shadow of doubt on Graham's suitability to be the group leader.

I may be wrong but that's what I took Cyfr to mean.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:15   #99
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
All turnouts were low, there is a lot of apathy round these parts but 26% was an abysmal turnout in Peel ward. The lowest of the lot in fact.

I don't know why this was.

Reading these posts it appears that he is very well thought of in Peel so why did all those who think Graham Jones is such a wonderful asset not go and vote for him?

I don't think he should resign. What's there to resign over? I'm just wondering why so few voted in Peel. It stood out a very low turnout even by today's standards.
Several reasons. 12% of properties are empty. So if the average turnout should be 1 in 3 voters, that's 4%.

Landlords who have a high turnover of people. 17% of properties are landlorded and the turnout from these is less than 5%. So another 5% of voters gone there.

Thirdly, the turnout in the general is high. Some voters who vote Labour are aware that historically it will still be Labour and whilst they want to vote, and intend to, it's not an urgent high priority it would be if they knew their ward was marginal.

Fourthly. In marginals a lot of time is spent knocking on doors even on the day so many more people are aware/reminded.

If the third and fourth where applied to Peel (maybe if we had a byelection there for eg) I think the vote would have been around 750/800-250/300. Nearer the normal. It is made a big issue of but I think the people in Peel are no different in voting habits to anywhere else.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:16   #100
Beacon of light

I think the issue of local politics is overshadowed by National politics.......and the two are(in my opinion, not that that counts for much) totally different.
What have the recent failings of the Labour party got to do with Graham Jones siutability as a local Labour Leader?

It seems his suitability hinges on the believability of figures which the local labour group have put in some of their literature.
I don't believe a word that comes out of a politicians mouth......I wait for actions....to me, these are how politicians should be judged.
The backlash against Labour locally has a lot do do with the policies of the Labour party in a national sense.
If you think that the current council have done a good job of looking after local issues.....have alook around the town centre and then decide.
We have a plethora of empty shops......a refurbishment of Broadway that cost God knows how much......and it is already looking tired and shabby after quite a short period of time.
Actions...thats what impresses me...and I have to say I'm not impressed.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:23   #101
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
You can't blame chavs for all of life's problems when most of their problems are caused by politicians in the first place. Labour have done absolutely nothing to remedy the poverty in Britain, so if you would've expected them to vote for graham jones anyway then people need a reality check.

That isn't just aimed at you lettie, just a response to what you are saying.

And just to add on to that, I am not saying the Conservative Party would do a better job, hence why many people haven't bothered voting at all.
I think in the next few years I will make a big difference that no-one else will. Landlord Licensing (which I have led), Government investment (If they are still there!), Community Patrols (with a Labour Council), Tougher penalities, CCTV (mobile), Community Enterprise (co-ops, self help?). Redesignation of land use from factory to housing (provide the public decide what housing, and the Tories aren't allowed to foster a clueless, soulless, cheap rubbish development).

None will happen under anybody else I believe so that's why I put my name forward.

And controversially, something which hit the Tory vote hard in Peel, giving people a say on such like as off licence's and other anti-social developments instead of being dictated to by The Council, which is how people view the Council around here.

Last edited by g jones; 04-05-2008 at 12:28.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:23   #102
God Member

Would you care to answer my questions please councillor Jones?
Old 04-05-2008, 12:42   #103
Senior Member+

Quote:
Would you care to answer my questions please councillor Jones?
I intend to resign at some stage so that I can spend more time with family and friends. Politics is just a small, but important part of life.

We never told any lies, I don't do lies and like I asked, 'Where's your proof about Labour introducing Rubbish Taxes and Car Parking Charges?".

We repeated a survey carried out by The DT and re-published by the Lanc's Telegraph. I think they and ourselves used a similar phraseology.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:47   #104
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
I think in the next few years I will make a big difference that no-one else will. Landlord Licensing (which I have led), Government investment (If they are still there!), Community Patrols (with a Labour Council), Tougher penalities, CCTV (mobile), Community Enterprise (co-ops, self help?). Redesignation of land use from factory to housing (provide the public decide what housing, and the Tories aren't allowed to foster a clueless, soulless, cheap rubbish development).

None will happen under anybody else I believe so that's why I put my name forward.

And controversially, something which hit the Tory vote hard in Peel, giving people a say on such like as off licence's and other anti-social developments instead of being dictated to by The Council, which is how people view the Council around here.
Have we have seen all to well Labour are great talking, but not very hot when asked to put the words into action ie Whiter than White Government, Tough on crime tough on the causes of crime, Education, Education, Education, 24 hours to save the NHS, The British people will get a say on the European constitution
Old 04-05-2008, 12:51   #105
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
I intend to resign at some stage so that I can spend more time with family and friends. Politics is just a small, but important part of life.

We never told any lies, I don't do lies and like I asked, 'Where's your proof about Labour introducing Rubbish Taxes and Car Parking Charges?".

We repeated a survey carried out by The DT and re-published by the Lanc's Telegraph. I think they and ourselves used a similar phraseology.
The three questions I put to you are:

1. What date do you source the 'most expensive council' stuff in the leaflets?

2. What date was the figure in the telegraph?

3. Do you understand why the figure itself is flawed because of the way its worked out? I'd prefer a response that dealt with the issue not a "Well its in the telegraph" escape goat.

Could you please answer those questions specifically?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..