Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree679Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-01-2012, 07:03   #1051
Beacon of light

Re: The Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Todays figures on the economy show a further slump.. Cameron and head boy Osbourne blame everything on the euro down to the price of beans!..government borrowing and debt has risen by billions.
when this government took office we were told that cuts and sacking half a million people would push the economy forward and unemployment would fall....now they are either downright liars or this government are inept.

Government debt rises because of the interest that is required to be paid on money borrowed.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-01-2012, 08:12   #1052
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
will never happen heres to another 300 years of union
Ya you lot know which side your breads buttered on, free education, free care for the elderly, free prescriptions, all paid for by English tax payers, is it any wonder more English want independence for Scotland than Scots
Old 26-01-2012, 08:25   #1053
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Government debt rises because of the interest that is required to be paid on money borrowed.
Ya at the moment its running at £43 billion a year, and were paying interest on that too.
Old 26-01-2012, 19:20   #1054
God Member

and the tories the party of law and order with the lowest amount of police officers in a decade which will soon be the highest rise in crime in a decade
Old 26-01-2012, 19:29   #1055
God Member

the tories the party for unemployment PoliticsUK - News: MoD 'to cut another 3,000 jobs'
Old 26-01-2012, 19:33   #1056
God Member

this made me laugh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg labour-poster-415x617.jpg (85.5 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by cmonstanley; 26-01-2012 at 19:35. Reason: tories= 3 million cheers dave
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 19:46   #1057
God Member

more like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the coalition isnt working.jpg (70.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 26-01-2012, 21:55   #1058

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya you lot know which side your breads buttered on, free education, free care for the elderly, free prescriptions, all paid for by English tax payers, is it any wonder more English want independence for Scotland than Scots
Scotland isn't quite the land of english tax payer funded milk and honey:-

- Scotland has the lowest life expectancy at birth within Britain. Male life expectancy is 2.4 years lower than the UK average and female life expectancy is 1.9 years lower.

- Scotland's drink problem is significantly worse than the rest of the UK. (source: Scottish Government website)

- Cancer survival rates for people in Scotland are among the worst in Europe(Source: BBC website)

Not a record to be proud of. No doubt some of the more well off students could afford fees and this money could be put into health.

The east end of Glasgow is more like eastern europe 30 years ago.
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 23:16   #1059
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy View Post

- Scotland has the lowest life expectancy at birth within Britain. Male life expectancy is 2.4 years lower than the UK average and female life expectancy is 1.9 years lower.

- Scotland's drink problem is significantly worse than the rest of the UK. (source: Scottish Government website)

- Cancer survival rates for people in Scotland are among the worst in Europe(Source: BBC website)

Not a record to be proud of. No doubt some of the more well off students could afford fees and this money could be put into health.

...and the west end of Glasgow, where I lived for four years, is a fabulous place.

No one forces the Buckfast down anyone's neck, or forces people to eat fried Mars bars, or get injected with smack.

Choices.

Though long, dark winters, and a ginger temperament, makes it hard for many Scots to make the correct, informed choice.

Och aye the noo.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 09:28   #1060
Resting in Peace

Quote:

A lot of Glasgow's health problems is self inflicted, nobody makes people lead an unhealthy lifestyle, they do it by choice, I worked in Glasgow many moons ago and saw first hand just what happens not a pretty sight, but that wasn't the whole of City, just certain areas, the tenement blocks were something to behold, not
Old 27-01-2012, 14:43   #1061
God Member

[quote=garinda;965457]...and the west end of Glasgow, where I lived for four years, is a fabulous place.

quote]

Quote:

Was most surprised to read this -although all large cities do have their depressed areas.

I have only ever travelled through Glasgow Station (very pleasant) on my way to get the ferry to Belfast, so i don't know the place at all. However, with it having been a European City of Culture, being reknowned for it's art galleries and music festivals and of course it's architecture and in particular the connection to Charles Rennie MacIntosh, I thought it's image had changed.

Is there not a proposal to switch away from GMT to daylight saving time or something similar which would benefit Scotland?

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 22:33   #1062
God Member

Quote:
And Osbourne did not know that?.. if he did know he was lying when he said it would be a good policy to sack thousands .. if he didn't know then he is an inept chancer and thought it would just all work out.. so which is it..liar or inept ?

Last edited by Mancie; 28-01-2012 at 22:37.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 09:28   #1063
Beacon of light

Yes of course he knew that................lying? Lying and politics go hand in hand don't they.(don't tell me that you have only just realised that all political parties are - shall we say- economical with the truth. It is the only bloody thing they ARE economical with)
Ask Tony Blair and his cronies. The ones who took the British Squaddies out to an illegal war. But then I don't suppose that counts as lying does it?
Perhaps if that had not happened there would have been more in the pot that IOU's when Labour left power.
Old 29-01-2012, 09:48   #1064
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yes of course he knew that................lying? Lying and politics go hand in hand don't they.(don't tell me that you have only just realised that all political parties are - shall we say- economical with the truth. It is the only bloody thing they ARE economical with)
Ask Tony Blair and his cronies. The ones who took the British Squaddies out to an illegal war. But then I don't suppose that counts as lying does it?
Perhaps if that had not happened there would have been more in the pot that Is when Labour left power.
Money left in the pot and Labour Government Margaret, is a scenario which never exists, ask Liam Byrne, there's no money left we've spent it all, even the billions upon billions they borrowed, was the note left in his treasury desk on May 6th 2010
Old 29-01-2012, 11:09   #1065
Beacon of light

Ah, but John, Mancie does not subscribe to the logic that much of what is being paid back is the debt that the previous administration left behind.
I would love to have seen the faces on the Labour cabinet if they had got back into power. How would they have explained away the financial mess? Better still, how would they have dealt with it......well of course they would have spent their way out of it with more borrowed money no doubt.

I actually don't care about who is in office/power....the colour of their blanket means nothing to me.
It is high time we distanced ourselves from the EU(hope you are reading this Graham)....we could save a few billion by not paying into the bailout pot which has no bottom to it.
We could save a few more billion by turning away some of the economic migrants who come to make their lives better, not ours.

We could tell the Bankers that these huge bonuses will not be paid...they will be redirected into paying off what the British taxpayer put in to keep them afloat(had they beeen car manufacturers or any other kind of manufacturer then they would have been left to sink - it was a Labour government that saved them....new Labour....a nice shade of lilac).
We could root out the grand corporations that evade tax....name them and shame them....if companies want to trade here then they pay their taxes here.

We tell all the London landlords charging exorbitant rents that their milk cow is being slaughtered. If they think that they can rent out these properties to those in the private sector - then let them try, and see how far they get.

If any money is going to be spent then it should not be on a high speed rail link, it should be on building affordable social housing. Wouldn't this stimulate the economy......builders would have work to do, kitchens and bathrooms would be purchased, paint and wall paper too....furniture would be bought, carpets etc.

But hey what do I know about anything?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..