Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree679Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-07-2011, 08:24   #301
Resting in Peace

Re: The Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
This isn't proof of anything.

Economic growth from such a deep recession was always going to be choppy. There's nothing at all to suggest that an alternative plan to reducing the deficit would work better, it may even have delivered us worse growth figures, perhaps even negative growth.

Not dealing with the deficit hasn't exactly gone well for Greece and Portugal.
Quite agree Andrew, somebody had to say when your in a hole for gods sake stop digging, the only problem was by the time somebody took the flaming shovel off Gordon the Moron he was half way to Australia
Old 27-07-2011, 08:55   #302
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
No, Andrew, I don't think it is that at all.

I am just sick of politicians saying one thing and doing another......not listening to the electorate on the things that the electorate consider to be important......I am fed up of them treating us all like we cannot use our critical thought processes......of them living high on the hog, while we struggle to make ends meet.......Spending money we cannot afford on things like the recent 'Happiness Index'.......what on earth was that all about?
And it cost us - the tax payer, 2 million pounds(or at least that is what is reported).
What kind of idiot spends money on something that an 11 year old could probably tell you?
I'm not sure what specifically you're referring to. A high percentage of manifesto commitments do end up being delivered.

The happiness index apparently received a positive response from the public. I think it's a load of nonsense but I accept Government isn't going to do everything I agree with all of the time.
Old 27-07-2011, 09:26   #303
God Member

the thing is with the tories robbing peoples pensions,sacking thousands of civil servants and cutting money on projects ie the sheffield nuclear turbine makers which has a roll on effect to other companies it has an effect on spending power of the middle clases which has kept the global economy going .my opinion is the imf has got it wrong ,the tories have got it wrong and america is knackered if it doesnt raise its lending ceiling the chinese are very nervous as it is the main lending country in recent times we could see an economic crisis worse than the one that we have now .just shows the shareholder ideology hasnt worked all started with the greed of the 1980s where thatcher sold off most of the crown jewels.
Old 27-07-2011, 09:32   #304
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
.my opinion is the imf has got it wrong ,the tories have got it wrong and america is knackered if it doesnt raise its lending ceiling the chinese are very nervous as it is the .
or could it be that you've got it wrong
Old 27-07-2011, 09:41   #305
God Member

theyve been doing what theyve been doing for over a year now and its getting worse so it hasnt worked. so they are wrong watch greece spain portugal and ireland crash the uk goverment even reduced interst rates for ireland so they wouldnt default,u.s.a. well theyre on the brink and we will all suffer
Old 27-07-2011, 09:51   #306
God Member

Quote:
theyve been doing what theyve been doing for over a year now and its getting worse so it hasnt worked. so they are wrong watch greece spain portugal and ireland crash the uk goverment even reduced interst rates for ireland so they wouldnt default,u.s.a. well theyre on the brink and we will all suffer
Such a silly statement. Growth has slowed, yes, that isn't to say that it wouldn't have slowed or even declined if we hadn't reduced the deficit. You are suggesting an alternative (although with no detail) and just assuming it will provide all solutions. What a gamble for the sake of bashing the Tories.

Greece, Portugal, Spain.. you want us to be like them? You can't go on borrowing. People will stop lending you money, at which point you're screwed.
Old 27-07-2011, 10:01   #307
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Well if you knew even the rudimentary basics of economics you could have some listeners but seeing your only answer is a link to the Guardian, your just a tad woolly head really. When your actually trying to undo 13 years of crap profligate government, it will take a little longer than 12 months and just remember we are in a hell of a better financial position now than Greece, Italy, Ireland, Portugal and a few more, things could be a hell of a site worse. I shudder to think just where we would have been now if Gordon and Alistair had been allowed to carry on with their financial suicide mission
Old 27-07-2011, 12:08   #308
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I'm not sure what specifically you're referring to. A high percentage of manifesto commitments do end up being delivered.

The happiness index apparently received a positive response from the public. I think it's a load of nonsense but I accept Government isn't going to do everything I agree with all of the time.
While the Happiness Index may have been positively received by the public....at the time they were answering the daft questions, did they know how much it was costing them?

And while the politicians may think they are delivering what they promised...or a proportion of it, it might not be the proportion we, the electorate were hoping for.

I think the main and most relevant thing I can say is, that once elected, most governments cease to listen to the people........don't take the concerns of the electorate seriously(immigration is something that springs to mind,another is the justice system).....and the majority of them talk to the electorate like we are not capable of any kind of intelligent thought.

And I am not just referring to this government..........I feel let down by all the political parties.
They all seem quite keen to hand over more and more power to the faceless un-elected bureaucrats in Brussels.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 12:12   #309
Beacon of light

Quote:
How on earth can you wipe out the damage done by the previous goverment of 13 years in one year. And yes, I do know there were external forces at work too...but don't you think this government is still dealing with those external forces too?

Why don't you put your thinking cap on and try and give us some kind of reasoned argument of what you would do to improve the situation.
You are pretty good at cutting and pasting(but I am not sure you read and understand the articles that you heartily recommend us to read) not so hot on putting any kind of discussion together.
Old 27-07-2011, 16:15   #310
God Member

I didnt say dont pay any of the defecit back that would be folly the argument is the the tories dont have any growth plan they are blind and have got their head in the sand how can one day knock back our full economy and by saying were not as bad as greece etc is admitting the last goverment must have done something right so the tories as usual think its alright for people to go homeless,bankrupt and into poverty.cmon what is the growth plan thats all im asking .. Ps sorry for caps my cat sat on the keyboard and i cant get my caps off:d
Old 27-07-2011, 16:47   #311
God Member

Quote:
I didnt say dont pay any of the defecit back that would be folly the argument is the the tories dont have any growth plan they are blind and have got their head in the sand how can one day knock back our full economy and by saying were not as bad as greece etc is admitting the last goverment must have done something right so the tories as usual think its alright for people to go homeless,bankrupt and into poverty.cmon what is the growth plan thats all im asking .. Ps sorry for caps my cat sat on the keyboard and i cant get my caps off:d
I thought it was your cat doing the posting?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 17:50   #312
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
I thought it was your cat doing the posting?
You spotted it to hey Roy
Old 27-07-2011, 17:56   #313
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I didnt say dont pay any of the deficit back that would be folly the argument is the the tories dont have any growth plan they are blind and have got their head in the sand how can one day knock back our full economy and by saying were not as bad as Greece etc is admitting the last goverment must have done something right so the tories as usual think its alright for people to go homeless,bankrupt and into poverty.cmon what is the growth plan thats all im asking .. Ps sorry for caps my cat sat on the keyboard and i cant get my caps off:d
And all this started on May 5th last year, take the blinkers of, things have been slowly picking up, and when the IMF say that Britain is taking the right approach in handling there inherited economic problems from the last shower, excuse me if I think every time you say something on here its a total load of unadulterated, ill thought out, left wing clap trap
Old 27-07-2011, 18:34   #314
God Member

Quote:
Take your own head out of the sand. I know you're obsessed with the Tories but it was not them who said growth would have been faster this last quarter if it wasn't for the bank holidays & Japanese earthquake, it was the independent Office for National Statistics.

The reason we are not following Greece down the road to ruin is because the current Government have made it clear they will eradicate the deficit over the Parliament. That gives markets confidence that they're going to be paid back which helps stabilise our economy and makes our interest payments cheaper.
Old 27-07-2011, 18:38   #315
Beacon of light

Andrew, you are wasting your breath......he can see nothing through those pink specs.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..