Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-11-2004, 09:41   #16
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: What Are They Going To Ban Next????

I have to agree with AB here. While everybody is asserting their right to fresh air there are other environmental pollutants to consider. The cost of obesity and alcohol related incidents and illnesses to the NHS is also great. Medical journals are currently focusing on obesity as it is one of the biggest killers bar smoking. I wonder how much tax from a Big Mac goes to the NHS. Maybe the government would be better taking VAT off the things that are essential ie clothing, feminine hygiene products (tampons etc.) and fresh food and upping the VAT on convenience food, fast food, cakes, biscuits, fizzy pop etc. The one thing I noticed in New Zealand was that all convenience and high fat foods are way more expensive than the fresh meat, fish, fruit and veg. It cost approximately £6.50 for a cake in their supermarkets that we would pay £3 for over here.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-11-2004, 10:00   #17

Quote:
So while you non-smokers are smugly vilifying us smokers, perhaps you would like to consider our rights to breathe air free of carcinogens and brain damaging chemicals the next time you get in your cars. Perhaps you would like to consider walking rather than driving, after all walking is an excellent form of exercise. Perhaps that way we could reduce still further the drain on NHS resources.
I don't smoke and don't drive. I enjoy walking most places, and I find walking an easier way to get from A to B when you have a pram. Can I still smugly villify away?
Old 21-11-2004, 10:03   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
I have to agree with AB here. While everybody is asserting their right to fresh air there are other environmental pollutants to consider. The cost of obesity and alcohol related incidents and illnesses to the NHS is also great. Medical journals are currently focusing on obesity as it is one of the biggest killers bar smoking. I wonder how much tax from a Big Mac goes to the NHS. Maybe the government would be better taking VAT off the things that are essential ie clothing, feminine hygiene products (tampons etc.) and fresh food and upping the VAT on convenience food, fast food, cakes, biscuits, fizzy pop etc. The one thing I noticed in New Zealand was that all convenience and high fat foods are way more expensive than the fresh meat, fish, fruit and veg. It cost approximately £6.50 for a cake in their supermarkets that we would pay £3 for over here.
You might know the answer to this one Lettie. Is it true that young mums were blending Maccy D meals for their babies to eat or is it just an urban myth?
Old 21-11-2004, 10:10   #19
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -pixie
You might know the answer to this one Lettie. Is it true that young mums were blending Maccy D meals for their babies to eat or is it just an urban myth?
Although I've never come across it, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Most babies are out of my contact once they're over 28 days old. It never fails to amaze me what people do to their babies and toddlers. How many babies do we see in town every day chewing away on a pastie? I call them Greggs dummies. How many do we see with ear piercings? There should be a law against getting your childs ears pierced under the age of 10. Sadly the Mac D thing is probably not an urban myth.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2004, 10:45   #20
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
I wonder how much tax from a Big Mac goes to the NHS. Maybe the government would be better taking VAT off the things that are essential ie clothing, feminine hygiene products (tampons etc.)

O.K. Lettie, this seems to be as good a day as any for a man to commit suicide, so as I stand on the stool & put my head in the noose just remember that it is only suicide if I jump off the stool myself, NOT if one of you enraged women kicks it from under me!
(That was just my way of saying you brought the subject up).

feminine hygiene products (tampons etc.) I don't think there is a woman alive that needs to be told that feminine hygiene products are, (tampons etc.).

If there is a man out there that is blissfully unaware of what feminine hygiene products (tampons etc.) are then why ruin his little bit of heaven by explaining what feminine hygiene products (tampons etc.) are? After all he is hardly likely to be of much assistance in convincing the government about removing V.A.T. from these items which are essential to approximately 50% of the population.

In the mean time, go for it girl get a campaign flooding the nation, free yourself from this extortionate shackle!

Good bye cruel world!
For what I'm about to receive may the Lord make me truly grateful

I love you all really

Last edited by Less; 21-11-2004 at 10:48.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2004, 12:11   #21

people should be able to smoke in the comfort of their home and car
It is their choice as of what they want to do
P.S im not a smoker im only 14
Old 21-11-2004, 13:14   #22
God Member

As someone who is compelled to watch a lot of television, I have to say I am sick to the back teeth of having feminine Hygiene and it’s associated problems and products rammed down my throat morning noon and night. Is it really necessary? It is a matter of complete disinterest to me if you wet yourselves when you laugh or if a womans temperature rises “ever so slightly” when they are menstruating. I don’t need to know that, Thank you! Especially not while I am eating.
The same thing goes for those awfull “King of the Loo” ads, and the ones that use similar images to sell air freshners. There is something seriously dodgy about using images of defecating children to sell a product. I could quite happily strangle the woman who does the voice over for “Always Ultra”. You know, the Scottish one. She has one of the most annoying voices on television.
Old 21-11-2004, 13:20   #23
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Thank's A'Bob you are a pal, You'll certainly get any flak they were going to send in my direction.

P.S. how come in the demonstrations they always use a blue colour?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2004, 13:47   #24

you have raised quite a point though there AB
its what people will do for money using children to advertise
and those always adverts
wow tampons with wings what happened to when advertising were as much as say what the product was and that was it
Old 21-11-2004, 14:22   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
As someone who is compelled to watch a lot of television, I have to say I am sick to the back teeth of having feminine Hygiene and it’s associated problems and products rammed down my throat morning noon and night. Is it really necessary? It is a matter of complete disinterest to me if you wet yourselves when you laugh or if a womans temperature rises “ever so slightly” when they are menstruating. I don’t need to know that, Thank you! Especially not while I am eating.
I either wish they would take the adverts off altogether ( I mean its not like women don't know whats what) and stop trying to make it glamourous.
Old 21-11-2004, 14:22   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnie boy
people should be able to smoke in the comfort of their home and car
It is their choice as of what they want to do
P.S im not a smoker im only 14
No-one is saying otherwise, its the smoking in public places that annoys me.
Old 21-11-2004, 14:40   #27

yes but cars are driving along public roads
Old 21-11-2004, 15:44   #28
land of hope and glory

at the end of the day we all know smoking is bad for you, but is going out to sea,to catch fish,or getting together with your mates and saddling up to take the dogs out to catch vermin.what about sat on the side of a lake taking in the scenery catching a few fish,what about the people who pay thousands of pounds to come over to GREAT britain to have a go at OUR -traditions.sit outside a supermarket breath in all the fumes and watch the people come out eating there goods before they have even got to there cars you wave at them knowing they live twenty yards round the corner.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2004, 15:51   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnie boy
yes but cars are driving along public roads
And your point...?
Old 21-11-2004, 15:58   #30
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by -pixie
And your point...?
BREATHING IN THE EXHAUST FUMES OR IF YOU LIKE EMISSIONS,IS FAR MORE CARCINOGENIC THAN CIGGARETTES
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..