Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Today in pictures (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/today-in-pictures-61576.html)

susie123 18-11-2012 10:46

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 1028466)
My thoughts exactly Dave! Love the courtyard with the large painting on the wall.

They had several nice little corners like that but sadly most of the place was falling to bits.

davemac 18-11-2012 16:47

5 Attachment(s)
Today in Pictures, a bit of a disappointment, I walked the section of canal from Rishton High Street, to Cut Lane. The most un-photogenic section of canal I have walked, and also the most antisocial, the number of people with Staffy type dogs that snarled, barked and looked dangerous, made the walk a bit nervy. Any way this is all I have for today.

1. I don't know what this was or did, but its right on the waters edge.
2. Seagulls on a stick.
3. Heading toward Cut Lane.
4. Bet that lot would make a bit of money weighed in.
5. Turn right at the bridge, Cut Lane, and back down the old railway line.

susie123 18-11-2012 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 1028489)
Today in Pictures, a bit of a disappointment, I walked the section of canal from Rishton High Street, to Cut Lane. The most un-photogenic section of canal I have walked, and also the most antisocial, the number of people with Staffy type dogs that snarled, barked and looked dangerous, made the walk a bit nervy. Any way this is all I have for today.

2. Seagulls on a stick.

Yet you still managed to find something to snap!

Think the trouble with Staffies is more the owners than the dogs:

BBC News - Staffies campaign launched by Edinburgh Dog and Cat Home
BBC News - Staffordshire bull terrier image tackled by Essex charity

maxthecollie 18-11-2012 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1028492)

Definately agree with you Sue. Staffies can be great little dogs but they seem to be used by thr wrong people who can get them a bad name

davemac 18-11-2012 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1028492)

Couldn't agree more, I have met on my travels some lovely Staffy type dogs, but when they are snarling and barking you get a cold sweat coming over you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1028496)
Definately agree with you Sue. Staffies can be great little dogs but they seem to be used by thr wrong people who can get them a bad name

I was just coming off the canal, on my way back home, when this couple, he was holding a lead that had two Staffordshire dogs on the end, she was walking in front telling people to put there dogs on a lead as her dogs didn't like other dogs. With the right training this wouldnt happen.

maxthecollie 18-11-2012 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 1028509)
Couldn't agree more, I have met on my travels some lovely Staffy type dogs, but when they are snarling and barking you get a cold sweat coming over you.

I was just coming off the canal, on my way back home, when this couple, he was holding a lead that had two Staffordshire dogs on the end, she was walking in front telling people to put there dogs on a lead as her dogs didn't like other dogs. With the right training this wouldnt happen.

Now that is worrying!

susie123 18-11-2012 21:44

9 Attachment(s)
More photos from Cape Verde.

1. A building in fairly typical state of repair
  2. A building that has been tarted up - I came across a photo of this in 2006 on the www and it looked worse than the first pic!
  3. A square in town
  4. Catholic church with typical Portuguese architecture - Dianne, Man in Panama is second from left in photo!
  5. Another typically run down building
  6. And another that has been tarted up
  7. View over the harbour as we went up into the mountains. Our cruise ship dominates
  8. View over the town from above
  9. The road up the mountain - you can imagine how much my rear end enjoyed the ride on a bus with hard plastic seats!
  10. Typical moonscape in the mountains

PS Just noticed 3000+ plus posts up. Wow!!

susie123 18-11-2012 21:54

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry missed out pic no 8 in my post above. Here it is - it really is as chaotic as it looks.

davemac 18-11-2012 22:41

Sorry missed out pic no 8 in my post above. Here it is - it really is as chaotic as it looks.

The place does appear to be a town of contrasts, I think you could say, it has character

churchfcrules 19-11-2012 07:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1028514)
Now that is worrying!

to be fair whenever i am out with deco, he is off the lead, but as soon as i spot another dog/people i put him on the lead, then when out of sight, back off again, and i do find it a little annoying those that dont repay the compliment.

mobertol 19-11-2012 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 1028489)

2. Seagulls on a stick.

I like number 3 and 5 -great skies and reflections Dave. :alright:

mobertol 19-11-2012 13:26

Sue -it looks an interesting place. I did spot the man in the Panama hat!
In Tenerife things are similar - Santa Cruz is a fantastic city - very chaotic and higgledy- piggledy in the suburbs with gorgeous colonial style architecture, lovely squares and gardens in the center -much bigger than the town you show in Cape Verde. I have noticed that the locals in Tenerife don't care much about the outside of their houses so you get a real contrast between the ex-pats/tourist/public buildings which are well kept and then some places which have exposed breeze-block and peeling paint!

That road going up into the mountain looks a bit like it is cobbled - volcanic cobbles presumably!

susie123 19-11-2012 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 1028565)
Sue -it looks an interesting place. I did spot the man in the Panama hat!
In Tenerife things are similar - Santa Cruz is a fantastic city - very chaotic and higgledy- piggledy in the suburbs with gorgeous colonial style architecture, lovely squares and gardens in the center -much bigger than the town you show in Cape Verde. I have noticed that the locals in Tenerife don't care much about the outside of their houses so you get a real contrast between the ex-pats/tourist/public buildings which are well kept and then some places which have exposed breeze-block and peeling paint!

That road going up into the mountain looks a bit like it is cobbled - volcanic cobbles presumably!

Yes - sounds similar - but Tenerife is still part of Spain while Cape Verde is independent - so I reckon it will be a long time before things improve there. I reckon in places like that the climate is just too debilitating for folks to take an interest in houses etc - it would be for me anyway.

Yes volcanic cobbles I think - better than nothing I suppose!

susie123 19-11-2012 22:05

10 Attachment(s)
The last of Cape Verde.
  1. Unspoilt beach with a brand new road - probably means they are going to develop it
  2. Traditional musicians and dancing which looked more like wrestling
  3. The Cape Verdeans are proud of their carnival and put on a show for us. There were several of these dancers, bare chested but wearing glittery high heels. I assume they were male
  4. Costume with very precarious head dress
  5. Butterfly costume
  6. Another carnival outfit
  7. Metal sculptures in the museum
  8. Finial on the museum building
  9. Chapel/cemetery in the mountains
  10. Catfish Bay - a new development but there didn't appear to be much there apart from some posh houses on the road to the coast

mobertol 20-11-2012 07:21

Great costumes - I love those sculptures too!