Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Today in pictures (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/today-in-pictures-61576.html)

churchfcrules 06-09-2012 22:26

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 1013820)
He did mention my zoom and flash, but didnt mention moving them out of the way. Its the curfew I am struggling with.

how are them special socks that go over the anklet, comfy lol

susie123 06-09-2012 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 1013794)
Probably a daft question, whats the reason for a club in the centre of that life preserver in picture 5 ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by churchfcrules (Post 1013795)
is that not what keeps it on the wall, or is it a club, "to calm em down a bit" if they are drowning lol

You may have to blow up the picture a bit to see it but the life belt is held on the wall by a wire cradle at the bottom and a wire hook at the top. The thing wot looks like a club is actually the device for throwing the belt out to sea. Grab hold of the bit that looks like a hand hold and pull the "club" out of the belt. The fat end of the club contains a rope the end of which which you can see attached to the life belt as a black lop at about eleven o'clock. My other half worked this out and then I found some pics on google images to confirm.

Nest question?

kestrelx 06-09-2012 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1013678)
Some more windows and doors today and a few pics which while loosely related to the theme were prompted by a BBC news article.

1 Beamish brewery, Cork
2 Christian Brothers school for poor children, Sullivan's Quay on the River Lee, Cork
3 Georgian window, Cork
4 Windows and doors, old warehouse, Liverpool
5 I was prompted to include the next shots by a BBC news article about the research station at Ny Alesund, Spitsbergen, Norway. I have posed some shots from here previously on this thread.
BBC News - So remote, it could pass for Mars
We stopped there while on a cruise in July 2010. This photo show Richard posing with a copy of our local mag which was running a holiday photos competition where you had to have a copy of the mag in the photo and prove where you had been. He was on the landing stage outside this building with the details on. We didn't win!
6 These are the lions outside the door of the Chinese building, as mentioned in the BBC article
7 The North Pole hotel
8 Windows, doors and steps - the Polar Research Institute
9 Nothing but windows - but not sure there's anything growing in there!

Are all these photos in Cork or some in Iceland? :D

churchfcrules 06-09-2012 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1013830)
You may have to blow up the picture a bit to see it but the life belt is held on the wall by a wire cradle at the bottom and a wire hook at the top. The thing wot looks like a club is actually the device for throwing the belt out to sea. Grab hold of the bit that looks like a hand hold and pull the "club" out of the belt. The fat end of the club contains a rope the end of which which you can see attached to the life belt as a black lop at about eleven o'clock. My other half worked this out and then I found some pics on google images to confirm.

Nest question?

so you sort of swing it round yer head?

susie123 06-09-2012 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by churchfcrules (Post 1013837)
so you sort of swing it round yer head?

No, hold the club in one hand and throw the life belt with the other. The rope is there so you can pull the belt back hopefully with rescued person inside. My other half tells me he once threw one that just had a rope without a fancy container like this and forgot to hold on to the end of the rope!

This one seems to be a Scandinavian design and they do like to keep things tidy!

susie123 06-09-2012 23:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1013834)
Are all these photos in Cork or some in Iceland? :D

The first four are in Cork andthe rest in Norway not Iceland. The island of Spitsbergen in the Archipelago of Svalbard about five hundred miles from the North Pole.

kestrelx 06-09-2012 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1013850)
The first four are in Cork andthe rest in Norway not Iceland. The island of Spitsbergen in the Archipelago of Svalbard about five hundred miles from the North Pole.

Well what i was going to say is they both have very similar architecture - or is it just the buildings you've chosen to photograph? Cheers.

maxthecollie 07-09-2012 08:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 1013757)
Today in Pictures, at 100 miles an hour.

1. A brown Hawker Dragonfly.
2. You don't think they will be so dominant until they are up, this is from the canal just short of Riley's Swing Bridge.
3. Thistle seeds now old enough to leave home, and set up a family of their own.
4. A Marmalade Hoverfly, on a Field Bindweed.
5. Common Darter Dragonflies in the process of mating and laying eggs, this was a difficult shot due to their speed, check out the wings, almost invisible.
6. From the junction at Church, just short of the Dunkenhalgh Way. There was something a bit out of sync here. A gridlocked junction and the installation of wind turbines !
7. This is the caterpillar of the Lime Hawk Moth.

You can say what you like about this thread, but you learn some stuff, get taken around the world, and get to see whats right under your nose. This is Dave Mac for News at Ten handing you back to the studio.

Re pic 6 Wait until they get the "Smart" traffic lights at Dill Hall/Hyndburn Road and watch for the queues.

davemac 07-09-2012 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1013830)

Nest question?

I dont have any questions about "nests" but I know birds lay eggs in them

susie123 07-09-2012 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1013856)
Well what i was going to say is they both have very similar architecture - or is it just the buildings you've chosen to photograph? Cheers.

Sorry not with it last night, the first three were Cork and no 4 was Liverpool, the rest Norway.

Wouldn't say the Arctic buildings were similar to the rest being mainly more of the more modern practical shack type of building you see up there, in Greenland as well. But there are similarities certainly between Cork and Liverpool maybe that's what you mean. And maybe it's just what I chose to select for this particular batch of pics. Later today I'll post some more from Liverpool.

susie123 07-09-2012 11:23

10 Attachment(s)
Windows in Liverpool today

1 Royal Liver building, Pier Head
2 Cafe window, Albert Docks
3 Top of the Mersey Funnel (Liverpool RC cathedral)
4 Number 3 from inside the building
5 The Philharmonic Dining Rooms pub, Hope Street, 1900, listed Grade II*. Famous for its interior decor especially the gents loos!
6 Georgian building on Hope Street with two Lambanana statues installed for the City of Culture 2008 dressed as builders
7 West window, Liverpool Anglican cathedral
8 Interior of the cathedral. There was a university degree ceremony in progress and I filmed through the glass door of the souvenir shop, hence the reflection of the window and lights in the middle of the picture.
9 Well it was a shop window once...
10 Corner of Hanover street and Duke street with the new John Lewis store in the Liverpool One development

churchfcrules 07-09-2012 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1013911)
Windows in Liverpool today

1 Royal Liver building, Pier Head
2 Cafe window, Albert Docks
3 Top of the Mersey Funnel (Liverpool RC cathedral)
4 Number 3 from inside the building
5 The Philharmonic Dining Rooms pub, Hope Street, 1900, listed Grade II*. Famous for its interior decor especially the gents loos!
6 Georgian building on Hope Street with two Lambanana statues installed for the City of Culture 2008 dressed as builders
7 West window, Liverpool Anglican cathedral
8 Interior of the cathedral. There was a university degree ceremony in progress and I filmed through the glass door of the souvenir shop, hence the reflection of the window and lights in the middle of the picture.
9 Well it was a shop window once...
10 Corner of Hanover street and Duke street with the new John Lewis store in the Liverpool One development

dining rooms do it for me

mobertol 07-09-2012 14:05

10 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by churchfcrules (Post 1013913)
dining rooms do it for me

How about dining Al Fresco?

Last minute getaway -5 days in Gargano on Lake Garda at my favourite hotel.
Arrived just in time for lunch in the garden...:D

Hotel Gardenia al Lago di Garda Gargnano 3 stelle Hotel Romantico Hotel sul lago di Garda

Time for a swim ...:p:hothothot:p

susie123 08-09-2012 11:19

10 Attachment(s)
Here are some Italian windows to go with Di's Italian food...

1 Mantua
2 Byzantine church of Sant'Apollinare Nuovo, Ravenna
3 Sixth-century mosaics in the above church
4 San Marino, office window on top of the hill
5 Castelfidardo, another hilltop town
6 Paolo Soprani accordion company, Castelfidardo
7 As 7, closeup of entrance
8 Pienza, Tuscany, display of Pecorino ewe's milk cheese, a speciality of the area
9 Siena
10 Ice cream shop in Siena

davemac 08-09-2012 21:27

10 Attachment(s)
Today in Pictures, has the Coppice got steeper?

1. Before the ascent a glance sideways.
2. A path I've never walked before around the base (runs parallel to Burnley Road, but not closely )
3. Bracket fungus on a dead tree, still upright.
4. This is why I've never used this path, the end is almost vertical to the top, I am halfway up at this point and cant talk or breath.
5. After a walk around the top we walk past the lodges and find the area that is having new paths installed.
6. Before the descent, we sit on the new benches, taking in the view, in the warm sunshine.
7. Walking through the heather, then down the hill.
8. A view across to Whinney Hill.
9. Down the slope, how did he get so dirty? ( note the new haircut )
10. Parked the car in the cemetery, just a quick photo of a bee on Sea Holly.

Thats it, time for a lie down with a cup of Complan and a couple of Fig Newtons.