Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Today in pictures (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/today-in-pictures-61576.html)

davemac 15-09-2012 20:34

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1016255)
I like the resin picture....lovely colour.

Its something you don't see every day, and as you say, nice colour.

susie123 15-09-2012 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 1016256)
Its still at the sticky stage, It has to rest for about 3000 years, so have made a note in my diary to re-check then.

So I might get my piece of amber then?

A few years ago Richard and I were at Sidmouth folk festival and sat down on a large tree stump to eat our lunch. We ended up sticking to everything else for the rest of the day and the resin never did wash out of my trousers properly.

Restless 16-09-2012 00:20

1 Attachment(s)
Whilst I was in Brighton I stopped at a cafe on the beach. I bought a cheese&bacon toastie and a cappuccino. I was carrying my tray and the biggest bee I have ever seen was hovering over my tray. Me & Bees are not friends. I tried to get away and it was having none of it. I jerked a little and my cappuccino went everywhere. Everbody at the cafe went about their day and the staff didn't speak English; I never got a replacement. I dumped my tray and took my plate onto the beach and sat down.

The pebbles seemed to be grinning at me and my misfortune. Hmm. I placed my plate on the pebbles and with cheese and ham toastie part in hand and part in mouth; I glanced again at the pebbles. They certainly was be grinning at me (check the pic)

mobertol 16-09-2012 07:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 1016256)
Its still at the sticky stage, It has to rest for about 3000 years, so have made a note in my diary to re-check then.

Enough there to make a full set, Necklace, earings and a matching bracelet!:D

mobertol 16-09-2012 08:21

10 Attachment(s)
A selection from a walk round Stonyhurst, and then along the river -great round trip last April -the last three are a few shots taken in August of the year before.

davemac 16-09-2012 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 1016374)
Enough there to make a full set, Necklace, earings and a matching bracelet!:D

when I took the photo the resin had the consistency of a half sucked wine gum, and was still being exuded, you couldn't wear it like this, as the flies would stick to it.

Looks like a nice day around the college.

davemac 16-09-2012 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1016357)
Whilst I was in Brighton I stopped at a cafe on the beach. I bought a cheese&bacon toastie and a cappuccino. I was carrying my tray and the biggest bee I have ever seen was hovering over my tray. Me & Bees are not friends. I tried to get away and it was having none of it. I jerked a little and my cappuccino went everywhere. Everbody at the cafe went about their day and the staff didn't speak English; I never got a replacement. I dumped my tray and took my plate onto the beach and sat down.

The pebbles seemed to be grinning at me and my misfortune. Hmm. I placed my plate on the pebbles and with cheese and ham toastie part in hand and part in mouth; I glanced again at the pebbles. They certainly was be grinning at me (check the pic)

Did you offer them some of the toastie?

Bernard Dawson 16-09-2012 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 1016376)
A selection from a walk round Stonyhurst, and then along the river -great round trip last April -the last three are a few shots taken in August of the year before.

The Tolkien walk apparently.

susie123 16-09-2012 09:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1016357)

Rob that would be funny if it weren't so tragic... Didn't have you down as a cappuccino sort of guy - perhaps the pebbles didn't either!

susie123 16-09-2012 09:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson (Post 1016383)

The Three Fishes - Edisford Bridge to Great Mitton Walk

Or you could try the one in Birmingham...
Sites that shaped Tolkien's 'Lord of the Rings' - Telegraph
http://www.birminghampost.net/life-l...5233-29912189/

It's quite an industry these days. When I lived in Warwick and worked for the literary festival there we milked a fairly vague connection (he was married in the town) for a Tolkien Day.

Kortirion among the Trees: the Influence of Warwick on JRR Tolkien's vision of Middle-earth, an essay - The Tolkien Society
Long article but Di might find it interesting if she likes Tolkien - which I don't

mobertol 16-09-2012 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson (Post 1016383)

Didn't know that, thanks-it's a really good walk -especially on a day like the one we had in April - sunny but not too hot. Stopped for a nice lunch half-way at The Shireburn Arms in Hurst Green too! Tea later in Mitton at the Three Fishes like to visit my favourite old haunts when i'm over and you have to keep your strength up for walking!;)

Bernard Dawson 16-09-2012 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1016401)

Trying to find the JRR Tolkien trail around Birmingham - Post Features - Life & Leisure - Birmingham Post

It's quite an industry these days. When I lived in Warwick and worked for the literary festival there we milked a fairly vague connection (he was married in the town) for a Tolkien Day.

Kortirion among the Trees: the Influence of Warwick on JRR Tolkien's vision of Middle-earth, an essay - The Tolkien Society
Long article but Di might find it interesting if she likes Tolkien - which I don't

He used to visit Stonyhurst , and from there he would walk down to the river. Its walk have done for years, but as a walk its got more popular with the Tolkien connection.

As for middle earth, that could be anywhere really, Tolkien travelled a lot. It may only have existed of course in Tolkiens mind.

mobertol 16-09-2012 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1016401)

Trying to find the JRR Tolkien trail around Birmingham - Post Features - Life & Leisure - Birmingham Post

I do like Tolkein - not always easy reading but an incredibly fertile mind.

Didn't realise the old bridge was called Cromwell's bridge, sat on it once for a picnic with my friend Jacqui when we were walking over to Stonyhurst from Gt Harwood (Edge End) to see our boyfriends!

Bernard Dawson 16-09-2012 10:10

[QUOTE=mobertol;1016406]Didn't know that, thanks-it's a really good walk -especially on a day like the one we had in April - sunny but not too hot. Stopped for a nice lunch half-way at The Shireburn Arms in Hurst Green too! Tea later in Mitton at the Three Fishes like to visit my favourite old haunts when i'm over and you have to keep your strength up for walking!;)[/QUOTE

That's my sort of walking, two pubs. Well it used to be, not so much now.

maxthecollie 16-09-2012 12:25

10 Attachment(s)
Attachment 25322 Attachment 25323 Attachment 25324 Attachment 25325 Attachment 25326 Attachment 25327 Attachment 25328 Attachment 25329 Attachment 25330 Attachment 25331

1) Information board outside the cave
2) St.Ninians cave
3) St Ninians cave
4) The Temple in Cally Woods
5) The Temple in Cally Woods
6) Entrance to a cottage in Cally Palace Grounds
7) Helicopters on the lawn at the front of Cally Palace. Anyone for 18 holes?
8) Port Patrick
9) Port Patrick
10) Daddy to all the calves in the field at the rear of holidsay cottage