Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Today in pictures (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/today-in-pictures-61576.html)

davemac 08-08-2012 20:05

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1007997)
Have you ever entered "Country File" photo competition?:rolleyes:

Never heard of it, anything to do with the telly program

susie123 08-08-2012 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 1007994)
Today in Pictures, minimal amount today due to BIG shop day, I did go out, but not much to see.

1. Start point.
2. & 3. laying eggs in the water.

That is the best I could manage today with my large curriculum..............

Wow!! You always manage to find something interesting. Could that be a Brown Hawker?? Though looks more like a male than a female...

Brown Hawker | british-dragonflies.org.uk

DaveinGermany 08-08-2012 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 1007999)
Never heard of it, anything to do with the telly program

The very same Dave, they invite viewers to send in their pics, they're put up for the public to choose the best 12 & they turn them into a Calender. These are then printed & sold with money going to good causes. Think there were some other bits to the prize winners as well but can't quite remember.

maxthecollie 08-08-2012 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 1007926)
A selection from a walk round the farm this morning - showing some of the architecture of the old farm ( built 1700's) there are an amazing number of arches -must have taken some building.

There's a photo of one of our Border Collies for Max -she is grey and white with pale blue eyes, she's called Chicca(pronounced Keeka!) -is this a pecularity or is a part of the breed like this -her mother is identical.

The first solar panels went on this morning and I took a few other shots of interest including an old grape vine and some grapes (love the shadows on the photo of the grapes, wonderful leaf shape!), an old bell and finally our two cute donkeys for DiG!!:D

I love blue merle collies a friend of ours has one .How old is Chicca? Max is seven next month

maxthecollie 08-08-2012 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1008004)
The very same Dave, they invite viewers to send in their pics, they're put up for the public to choose the best 12 & they turn them into a Calender. These are then printed & sold with money going to good causes. Think there were some other bits to the prize winners as well but can't quite remember.

The prizes are photographic equipment

davemac 08-08-2012 20:17

Quote:

Thanks for that, will have to look out for it

susie123 08-08-2012 20:18

Quote:

Yer tis... you just missed it for this year...

The 2012 Countryfile Photographic Competition | Countryfile.com

davemac 08-08-2012 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1008002)
Wow!! You always manage to find something interesting. Could that be a Brown Hawker?? Though looks more like a male than a female...

Brown Hawker | british-dragonflies.org.uk

I wouldnt know the difference, but now I know I will pay more attention to markings, its just that its back end kept going in the water and sort of gave the impression it was laying eggs. That way it gave me a moment to snap it.

davemac 08-08-2012 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1008011)
Yer tis... you just missed it for this year...

The 2012 Countryfile Photographic Competition | Countryfile.com

It will give me a chance to brush up on my technique, and perhaps put aside some photos that I think are good enough. But thanks to everyone who helped with the information.

kestrelx 08-08-2012 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 1008014)
It will give me a chance to brush up on my technique, and perhaps put aside some photos that I think are good enough. But thanks to everyone who helped with the information.

I entered it in 2010. It's worth having a go just for the sake of it - but like Susie said this year has gone already. The standard is very high though.

Check this link for last years top photos - pulling power won I think...

The Countryfile Photographic Competition finalists 2011 | Countryfile.com

mobertol 08-08-2012 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1008025)
I entered it in 2010. It's worth having a go just for the sake of it - but like Susie said this year has gone already. The standard is very high though.

Wow ...what amazing photographs - I 'll be putting my old camera out to grass...:D

shillelagh 08-08-2012 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1007948)
Frank, we've got loads of goldfinches in our garden but they just won't stay still long enough to be snapped! Lovely picture.

susie on your camera do you not have a mode for fast moving objects ... try putting it on that one ...and click like crazy ... you might just end up wi a pic thats right .. thats how i take the ones from the bus ... :D

susie123 08-08-2012 22:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 1008036)
susie on your camera do you not have a mode for fast moving objects ... try putting it on that one ...and click like crazy ... you might just end up wi a pic thats right .. thats how i take the ones from the bus ... :D

Yes Jen just not got round to trying it out yet... it's a new camera - it's a good idea though. With my old one I never had any probs taking photos on the bus - not tried it with the new one yet!

Nothing moves that fast round here...:p:rolleyes:

susie123 08-08-2012 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 1008014)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1008025)

Having read through these bitchy and whingeing comments from disappointed losers I'm not sure I'd want to enter...

Countryfile Photographic Competition 2011: Best in Show | Countryfile.com

davemac 08-08-2012 23:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1008042)
Having read through these bitchy and whingeing comments from disappointed losers I'm not sure I'd want to enter...

Countryfile Photographic Competition 2011: Best in Show | Countryfile.com

I think I agree with that, and the standard is very high. I do it for fun, if it got too serious it would spoil it for me. I probably would as kestrelx says, put one in just for the hell of it.