Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Today in pictures (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/today-in-pictures-61576.html)

susie123 05-06-2012 17:21

Re: Today in pictures

8 Attachment(s)
Today's flowers - just been for a walk round my garden. Sorry some are a bit fuzzy - don't know if it's me or the camera or the fact that it was starting to rain.

1 Lupin and bee
2 Clematis
3 Another clematis
4 Honeysuckle
5 Oriental poppy ready to burst forth
6 Red hot poker and daisies
7 Chives
8 White foxglove

susie123 05-06-2012 17:23

3 Attachment(s)
Some more flowers

1 Calendula
2 Valerian
3 Honesty

maxthecollie 05-06-2012 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 996078)
Some more flowers

1 Calendula
2 Valerian
3 Honesty

What a colourful garden

susie123 05-06-2012 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 996079)
What a colourful garden

Thank you Max. Considering I have not touched it since about this time last year for various reasons it is looking splendid. Obviouly neglect is good for it but I have been out there this weekend doing things here and there. I can't paint but I use colour in my garden as if I were trying to do a painting - that's my theory anyway, mostly it just turns out like that whatever I do.

Margaret Pilkington 05-06-2012 18:08

10 Attachment(s)
Been on a bit of a hike......see my blog for details.
Like your pics Sue.Very cheery and colourful.
Now here are my efforts

davemac 05-06-2012 19:16

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 996051)
Although my mum was born and raised in London she knew a lot about wild flowers. Sunday afternoons we would go out in the car and then go for a walk. A favourite spot was what we used to call little York near Rishton. We'd look for wimberries in season and pick wild flowers and mum always knew their names. Lady's smock was one of her favourites.

Looking at your pics, there are lots of dog roses - they're still in tight bud here and the two elder trees in the back lane only have a couple of flowers out. Has Clayton moved nearer the tropics?

Got another for you, I've never noticed it before, it is low to the ground and I was prostrate in a field to get this shot.
My knowledge of wild flowers is sadley lacking, as I spent a lifetime in decorative horticulture.

maxthecollie 05-06-2012 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 996118)
Got another for you, I've never noticed it before, it is low to the ground and I was prostrate in a field to get this shot.
My knowledge of wild flowers is sadley lacking, as I spent a lifetime in decorative horticulture.

Was it painful going prostrate?

maxthecollie 05-06-2012 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 996080)
Thank you Max. Considering I have not touched it since about this time last year for various reasons it is looking splendid. Obviouly neglect is good for it but I have been out there this weekend doing things here and there. I can't paint but I use colour in my garden as if I were trying to do a painting - that's my theory anyway, mostly it just turns out like that whatever I do.

Do you get a lot of butterflies in your garden with such a variety of flowers?

davemac 05-06-2012 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 996120)
Was it painful going prostrate?

No I took all my clothes off first, I didn't want mud on my dickey bow tie.

Margaret Pilkington 05-06-2012 19:31

Damn.....I missed that...would have made a good picture to put on here....with some bits pixelated to preserve your modesty of course. :D

maxthecollie 05-06-2012 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 996125)
Damn.....I missed that...would have made a good picture to put on here....with some bits pixelated to preserve your modesty of course. :D

Is your camera insured?

susie123 05-06-2012 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 996118)

I would say it's water avens, Geum rivale, enter it in google images and you will get some lovely pics.

I see from your profile you used to work for the council, were you in Parks & Gardens or whatever it's called?

Margaret Pilkington 05-06-2012 19:37

Well, sort of........I can claim accidental damage on my contents policy.....but there is a 75 quid excess.

susie123 05-06-2012 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 996121)
Do you get a lot of butterflies in your garden with such a variety of flowers?

Yes - quite a few - saw a small blue one the other day that I hadn't seen before. There is also an old cemetery behind the house, with a lot of wild flowers, which helps with the wildlife.

davemac 05-06-2012 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 996130)
I would say it's water avens, Geum rivale, enter it in google images and you will get some lovely pics.

I see from your profile you used to work for the council, were you in Parks & Gardens or whatever it's called?

You are correct I think, it was growing down by Hyndburn Brook in a waterlogged area. I would never have said Geum. It was mixed with the ground elder so couldn't see a leaf. Yes I worked for Parks Dept, then Recreation and Amenities, then Parks and Open Spaces, then Parks and Cemeteries, then Parks and Playing fields. All the same department but it changed with the politics of the council. You put me to shame with your knowledge of wild stuff.
Have to do a family taxi job, will post my pictures when I get back.