Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Today in pictures (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/today-in-pictures-61576.html)

Retlaw 09-06-2012 21:15

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 996788)
So whats the term for a wet davemac..........there will be a prize for the best answer........... "k"

A Drip.:tongueout You asked for that one. :hehetable

davemac 10-06-2012 06:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 996787)
There used to be three chapels in the cemetery, all demolished long ago, the crematorium is built on the foundations of the center chapel.
Notice the headstones and vault markers close to the chapels are the biggest in the cemetery, these places were reserved for the movers and shapers (the money) of the borough. This is so that the people visiting the chapels would notice the families of importance, snobbery in death, allegedly.

slight correction to the construction of the crematorium, it was built from the shell of the center chapel, not the foundations. I know what I was trying to say, but it didnt come out that way.

davemac 10-06-2012 06:57

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 996754)
Davemacs picture of the Coppice, post 219, - I didn't recognise it, it's covered in trees!
Looks much better than when it was all bare and stony-a nice place for walks now?
Any more pictures of it?

In responce to your request I have cobbled some pictures together that are either on the coppice or looking toward it.
So here is, Yesterday in Pictures.
Part 1

davemac 10-06-2012 06:59

6 Attachment(s)
Last batch.

Part 2.

susie123 10-06-2012 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 996816)
slight correction to the construction of the crematorium, it was built from the shell of the center chapel, not the foundations. I know what I was trying to say, but it didnt come out that way.

Thought so Dave - that was my recollection. There was standing room only at my mum's funeral in 1978.

BTW thanks for the Coppice photos especially the larch cones pic 6 section 1.

davemac 10-06-2012 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 996839)
Thought so Dave - that was my recollection. There was standing room only at my mum's funeral in 1978.

BTW thanks for the Coppice photos especially the larch cones pic 6 section 1.

Did you notice bobert snook in bottom right hand corner

susie123 10-06-2012 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 996841)
Did you notice bobert snook in bottom right hand corner

Hehe no that was sneaky! Wondered at first who on earth you meant by Bobert Snook...

davemac 10-06-2012 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 996842)
Hehe no that was sneaky! Wondered at first who on earth you meant by Bobert Snook...

, should have put a comma in, its misleading, what you mean, and how it reads are poles apart.

susie123 10-06-2012 14:54

We went to the dump at lunchtime but I didn't take my camera. I did have a wander round my garden when I got back...

1 Honeysuckle on the fence, just coming into flower
2 Honeysuckle in closeup
3 Blue geranium and a Welsh poppy (can't avoid those in shots, they're everywhere!)
4 My garden gnome's coming out to play - he's just got to find his pointy hat and fishing rod
5 Get some cream ready - these will soon be raspberries
6 Oriental poppy and snail - last week this was just bursting forth from its bud - the others have yet to follow
7 Opinions differ - Allium bulgaricum or Nectaroscordum bulgaricum - whatever, it's an ornamental onion - you can tell by the smell!

susie123 10-06-2012 15:01

7 Attachment(s)
AArrgghh! Missed off the pics!!
1 Honeysuckle on the fence, just coming into flower
2 Honeysuckle in closeup
3 Blue geranium and a Welsh poppy (can't avoid those in shots, they're everywhere!)
4 My garden gnome's coming out to play - he's just got to find his pointy hat and fishing rod
5 Get some cream ready - these will soon be raspberries
6 Oriental poppy and snail - last week this was just bursting forth from its bud - the others have yet to follow
7 Opinions differ - Allium bulgaricum or Nectaroscordum bulgaricum - whatever, it's an ornamental onion - you can tell by the smell!

susie123 10-06-2012 15:16

6 Attachment(s)
More flowers from my garden...

1 Stachys lanata (Lambs' ears)
2 Lamium beacon silver
3 Clashing colours - the pile of slabs in bottom rh corner is indicative of the general state of the garden - will soon be having yet more excavations to find problems with the drains. also our back fence blew down in the winter and the scaffolding has just come down off the back of next door, where they removed and replaced four storeys of rendering, meaning large chunks of it ended up on our side!
4 Cardoon, taller than me, though that's not difficult. It's got large thistle like flowers similar to a globe artichoke which are good for drying. And you can eat the stems, taste like artichoke
5 Ivy leaved toadflax
6 Floral tapestry

Margaret Pilkington 10-06-2012 15:20

Lovely Pics Sue...specially like the gnome :) Can you buy those anywhere? B&Q perhaps:D

susie123 10-06-2012 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 996914)
Lovely Pics Sue...specially like the gnome :) Can you buy those anywhere? B&Q perhaps:D

I'll see if I can get him cloned - and put some in British Gnome Stores - or Gnome and Bargain...

MargaretR 10-06-2012 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 996914)

Get a National Elf on prescription.

susie123 10-06-2012 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 996918)
Get a National Elf on prescription.

Don't want too many or they'll be goblin up all my food.